Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Generic Sodaholic Asset Submission Thread

I figure maybe I should just use one thread for all of my asset submissions from here on out, rather than clutter the subforum with a new thread every time I make an asset unrelated to the last.

First item on the list:
I redid the exit sign textures because the existing ones suck. Really, they look like they were done as a quick placeholder in MS Paint. I hope these are considered unique enough from the Doom ones. If not, I can change the font color (green?) and/or lighten the surrounding paneling.

To note, I did use the existing Freedoom exit as a basis, just gave it a serious overhaul.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with how close it looks to the original exit sign texture. Please don't just copy the originals; make an effort to do something different, creative and original that distinguishes them. The current exit sign texture isn't a great texture, but is at least good in this respect.

Why not have the character, arrow and the text white and the background green/red?

It doesn't have to use black.

I like your version, sgtcrispy, I don't feel that you're stepping on my toes at all. As stated in the OP, I'll use this thread to submit any other assets that I build.

In non-techbase, especially hellish levels, they will look quite silly - a problem perhaps? Yes, even the iwad ones might look weird to some people (really, a human-made sign in hell?), but I feel like that pictogram would add a whole new degree of goofiness to the whole thing.

ok but why would a hell themed level have an exit sign? in case the hell fire gets out of hand and the demons need to quickly evacuate?

fraggle said:

ok but why would a hell themed level have an exit sign? in case the hell fire gets out of hand and the demons need to quickly evacuate?

LOL I was thinking that too.

fraggle said:

ok but why would a hell themed level have an exit sign?

Probably an oversight on the part of the OH&S elf, he should pull that sign down once the health & ammo elves have finished stocking the map and departed.

Normally mappers put exit signs because the players want to know what will end the level in case they don't want to exit yet.

sgtcrispy said:

Here's the tweaked versions sans text

I like that exit sign and i prefer it over the current we have, this should be inplemented in FreeDoom.

Memfis said:

Normally mappers put exit signs because the players want to know what will end the level in case they don't want to exit yet.

You can the use the exit door texture as well. I popped through Doom 1 and the exits in Inferno usually have a tech type exit room. Besides, by the time you get to the exit it should be pretty obvious that it is an exit.
Plus the language of the levels design can also tell the player where is exit is located.

You know, the three key locked gate in front of the giant tower ect..

Darch said:

Why is this man in this sign not carrying a shotgun?

A 32x16 texture lends itself to simplicity rather than complexity.

sgtcrispy said:

Here's the tweaked versions sans text

Looks nice! However, I think the arrow should face up, not to the right. Just my $0.02

fraggle said:

Anyone else have any opinions?

well i liked this sign but i agree about the sign only have teh arrow and the little icon dude running to the arrow its a little misleading in the direction. honestly i prefeer and consider this one good enough:

it still have "Exit" on the sign and its clearly visible, and still have the arrow and the little dude icon. so for me that sign exit works pretty nice

I agree that keeping it under a different texture name would be nice.

However, I don't think keeping any arrow under the standard "EXIT" sign is a good idea, because it makes some of the signs incoherent. For example:

Exit switch on left, arrow points to right at an empty wall.

Maybe mirrored duplicates of the texture could be added?

And maybe the maps could use some touch-up to be adapted to these new signs.

Looks like exit signs have either 'EXIT' or an arrow pointing in the direction intended or both. But not neither, so it kinda limits what you can do with it.

One can assume that in RL the signs are ordered to fit the situation especially in case of the arrows. So it's mostly likely they would have to be 'EXIT' or an arrow pointing somewhere.

Again I think the level language should be able to tell the player where the exit is and the sign is just a marker/reminder that says "Hey! The level exit door is right here!"
I mean if an arrow pointing to the right confuses a player when the door is literally right in front of them then I don't know...

At any rate I'll continue tweaking and see what I can come up with.
Might make a new post for it though, instead of hijacking soda's thread.

Maybe the arrow could be replaced with "EXIT", so you get "EXIT" and the stick figure man, giving the impression of a real world emergency exit sign without the problems that having an arrow present brings.

I'd still like to keep the version with the arrow as a separate texture that people can use in their levels, though.

fraggle said:

Maybe the arrow could be replaced with "EXIT", so you get "EXIT" and the stick figure man, giving the impression of a real world emergency exit sign without the problems that having an arrow present brings.

I'd still like to keep the version with the arrow as a separate texture that people can use in their levels, though.

Okey Dokey! I did have a version like that but I guess I thought the 'exit' text wasn't really wanted, i.e. something different instead.
/me searches then just rebuilds it.

EDIT: Slightly different versions.