Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Lava variants?

Are there any good animated lava variants? I don't like the iwad one that much because it looks very repetitive in large areas, here is just one recent example: http://i.imgur.com/vewXLKe.jpg This isn't a problem with nukage\water\blood imo since they are more "balanced" if you know what I mean, while lava has that very noticeable brightest part.

Doom's lava also looks to have the approximate consistency and damage of boiling hot Tobasco sauce. It makes even the hot tomato soup lava in Super Metroid seem relatively threatening by comparison ;)

Heretic's got these, which are OK. Need to be recoloured with care or else they'll look quite flat in Doom IMO:

This was in NB_RECOL.wad, not amazing though.

Epic 2 had some from Powerslave that looked like pasta and tomato sauce.

That's all I can think of.

edit: What do you think of this? Haven't tried it in a wad yet. 8 frames so you need to do some lump managing.

edit2: just tried it, looks pretty bad, doesn't even tile properly but not worth fixing IMHO. Oh well.

UacUltra's is not too bad, comes with a wall texture to match. Bright as all hell, though.

The NB_RECOL one looks like Fanta to me, which makes it a bit too funny to use. :D And, IIRC, it loses its color too much when used in darker areas.

I've just remembered that Biowar uses the Heretic one and it works pretty well I think, more "even" than the Doom one: http://i.imgur.com/s30Ll8g.png But yeah, the recolor is perhaps a bit sloppy there.

Nice, I like it!
Here is another one I found in stewboy's Destination Unknown, originally from Quake I guess. Unfortunately the 2nd one is borked for some reason:

Looks like the colours didn't get mapped properly on the second one. Weird.

Does Quake's lava actually have a frame animation? I thought all textures in Quake were just static and the water/lava/etc surfaces themselves were animated. q1tex.wad only has a single lava frame.

It would be extremely useful if there was an easy way to give single frames of liquids an animation for Doom, since a lot of later games have cool liquid textures but they're only one frame.

edit: The Destination Unknown flats are just from Doom, with the yellow remapped to orange. Seeing if I can recreate it and so get the second one fixed.

Virtually identical to the ones in DU, fixed a few stray pixels. Better than the Doom lava but still a bit pizza-y for me. Pair it with the ones from NB_RECOL and you've got lunch :D

Nice detective work there. :) I like these: definitely better than the iwad ones imo while still perfectly "Doomy".

Kappes Buur said:

Some years back Solarsnowfall made newtest.wad, in which he used this flat, warping it with ANIMDEFS, etc.

That's the problem I was getting at earlier though, there are lots of good lava textures you can use if you are animating them in the engine with warping or whatever. If you prefer making Boom-compatible maps though, animating them is a lot harder.

Memfis said:

Someone write a warping code for entryway. :D

He'll probably reject it saying it will break everything. :)

Da Werecat said:

He'll probably reject it saying it will break everything. :)

Texture animations shouldn't, they have no impact on gameplay. The animation manager is disconnected from the worldsim code. In ZDoom it isn't even paused while the game is paused.

There is texture warping code in MBF or SMMU, I forgot which, but it's been kept at least in Eternity. You can make it by using the ANIMATED lump to set a speed of 65536 for the texture in question; and instead of animating it through lumps like normal it'll swirl the first frame.

I could swear entryway posted a video showing distorsion effects of some kind in prb+ a few months (years?) back. Can't find anything with a search, though. Perhaps I'm going crazy.

Gez said:

There is texture warping code in MBF or SMMU, I forgot which, but it's been kept at least in Eternity. You can make it by using the ANIMATED lump to set a speed of 65536 for the texture in question; and instead of animating it through lumps like normal it'll swirl the first frame.

The SMMU/Eternity/GZDoom warping is too fluid, while the ZDoom one twists the flat too much in zigzag. I think the best variant is in Quake.