Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Use

Sector has no lines? wha-?

Zdoom is reporting some errors in my maps i've enevr seen before. 400+ sector maps are having returning the error

sector [###] has no lines

i think it has something to do with how one of my editors deletes lines, leaving the sector space still present. shouldn't node builders take that out? is there any way to fix these sectors?

in the editor the offending sectors are intact, with textures and linedefs and eveything. these errors seem to cause no problems inside the map or during play, but i checked some levels in alien vendetta on a whim to see if it was zdooms problem or mine, and the maps in av.wad are fine.

help! i hope it's not unfixable cause i've never seen this error before and it's bothering me!

I using Wadauthor and Doomed Deluxe

thanks!

hmm...can you send the file to me please? maybe I can find the problem from there, other than that, I have never heard of this before.

maybe its the tools you're using....

I know now,

its problably because you didn't add a sidedef. without no sidedef a line won't exist.

hey hmm, that's an idea.

my older (and most used) editor has this thing where it assigns no sidedefs to a single sided line, not even block player. the book says it's not needed, because the line is impassible anyway. well, i've made so many maps with this thing, and none of those single sided lines have attributes, but other lines related to the sector do.

like i said, it doesn't seem to affect gameplay whatsoever. but if anyone knows how to to fix this it'd be nice.

thanks for your replys

Have you run the WadAuthor error checker? It should find problems such as a sector entry with no associated lines, and it should be able to fix the problem. The error checker is that button with the check mark....

the error checker in wadauthor actually didn't catch these sector problems! that brings me to antoher problem tho, whenever i use the error checker and fix anything, then try to save the level, it becomes corrupted. maybe this a bug with wadauthor, but my maps are pretty massive.

but no usual sector errors come up, mostly just textures missing or invalid textures from iwad.

Use3D said:

Zdoom is reporting ... sector [###] has no lines

i think it has something to do with how one of my editors deletes lines, leaving the sector space still present.

Exactly correct. It's just a "sector" reference entry - doesn't define any kind of space at all.

Node builder don't take it out. The only way to fix it is to run an error checker that removes them. DeePsea, Deth and Zeth (to name 3) will remove unused resources. WA does not.

Actually not too big a deal, although GLBSP blows up when you have these:)

The "sector" shouldn't show up in any editor. It's not associated with any linedefs, so it's totally invisible. Can't have textures, since it has no linedefs - so don't know what you meant there, maybe something else. Technically, one could view a pure sector resource - don't think any editor does.

Hmm, it must be something you're doing because WA hasn't ever fucked up when I delete stuff or use the error checker.

all the feedback here helped alot!

i guess these sector references messed up the sector counts in these maps on two different editors. wadauthor gives an acurate count, however. as for the problems with wadauthor go, again i blame my ancient win 3.1 doom editor. but you know how objects at rest tend to stay at rest, i'm like that with my editors. i did download DeepSea but have no idea how to use it. these things always take precious time!!

even tho my editor is old and lame my maps aren't...at least i hope not