Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cs99cjb

Detonating rockets in flight

A thought occurred to me recently when I was fighting a duel with a cyberdemon: it would be much easier if the stream of plasma from my plasma rifle detonated the cyberdemon's rockets in mid-air.

Apart from being more realistic, I feel this would add an extra dimension to the gameplay. For example, players could draw enemy fire away from missiles after firing them. Since players aren't invulnerable to blast damage from rockets, the rocket launcher would be an even more hazardous weapon than it already is. However I'm not sure that would necessarily be a bad thing.

Are there any source ports that have implemented this behaviour?

For balance, cyberdemons would probably have to be given a plasma weapon themselves to avoid them being too easy to kill.

cs99cjb said:

Are there any source ports that have implemented this behaviour?

Even better, you can make monsters' missile shootable with a simple DEHACKED flag (hint: try punching the basketballs that the niggas throw at ya in Cybie 2).

That could really add another dimension to gameplay, if done correctly. FWIW, in Doom 3 you can shoot certain projectiles (e.g. with plasma you can shoot most energy-based ones, while the SMG can detonate the revenant's rockets).

Maes said:

Even better, you can make monsters' missile shootable with a simple DEHACKED flag

Erm, no you can't. You need to also clear the MF_NOBLOCKMAP flag, but linking missiles into the blockmap seems to cause memory corruption (I guess the missile spawn code doesn't bother checking for sufficient space in the blockmap? I dunno) and will eventually lead to a nasty crash.

Maes said:

FWIW, in Doom 3 you can shoot certain projectiles (e.g. with plasma you can shoot most energy-based ones, while the SMG can detonate the revenant's rockets).

I seem to recall that the revenant's missiles are more conventional in Doom 3, so that would make sense. I didn't intend for fireballs like the ones in Doom 2 to be shootable.

Admittedly, they aren't the same games, but there are gameplay similarities: Serious Sam does this, you can blow up pretty much any big projectile. It's definitely different. It puts more emphasis on aiming and less on movement.

Not sure it'd work all that well here, there is the risk of turning into an invincible wall of bullets. Doom lacks enemies moving faster than you (to catch up if you stand still and fire away), and the game isn't really designed for precision aiming in the first place. But it'd be different, no doubt.

Foxpup said:

Erm, no you can't. You need to also clear the MF_NOBLOCKMAP flag, but linking missiles into the blockmap seems to cause memory corruption (I guess the missile spawn code doesn't bother checking for sufficient space in the blockmap? I dunno) and will eventually lead to a nasty crash.

damn. really? even in something like prboom?

The trick seems to work fine in Cybie2 though...

You know, I never truly thought about destroying projectiles. Doom 3 does it, but I never made the crossover. I think it would be a great game mechanic.

I'd love to shoot a revenant's rocket or imp's fireball mid flight. Imagine taking out a barrage of fireballs with a chain gun?

Technician said:

I'd love to shoot a revenant's rocket or imp's fireball mid flight. Imagine taking out a barrage of fireballs with a chain gun?

It just doesn't make sense though. Why would a bullet dissipate a fireball? I'm more interested in the dangers of firing rockets at low-tier enemies like imps who could nonetheless detonate them prematurely.

Maes said:

The trick seems to work fine in Cybie2 though...

That's not a vanilla WAD, and using the DeHackEd patch without the WAD results in a crash once the shootable projectiles start flying, like I said.