Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Heretic tree sprites?

Hello there. I am making a map for Heretic and I cannot find any suitable packs that give me tree and vegetation sprites. Can I use Slade to convert sprites from Doom or Hexen to use instead? And why does Heretic have no trees?

Anyway, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Why does Heretic have no trees? Huh.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe if you convert the graphics you want to PNG, copy them into the wad, copy the COLOPMAP and/or PLAYPAL and convert the PNGs to the palette you want you can dodge any palette raping that might occur. I think I found that in an old post by Essel, it'd take some time to dig up.

Also congrats on 666th post.

neubejiita said:

Can I use Slade to convert sprites from Doom or Hexen to use instead?

Yes, and Doom trees appear to be slightly greener in Heretic.

yeah what Obsidian said. if you convert from a png to a doom graphic, or heretic graphic (same thing in Slade I think), it'll just use the wad in question's playpal (or another one you specify) and match colors as closely as possible. very handy :D

I guess the developer's rationale was E1: this is a ravaged city with all its resources destroyed, no trees. E2: you're entering the gates of hell, why would there be foliage here, no trees. E3: you're underwater. I never saw a tree underwater before, no trees. E4: Wow, we're still going strong after these monsters, apparently they don't need wood for fires to build all these clay and stone fortresses, no trees. E5: Yeah, you're in an alternate dimension, no trees are required to produce the oxygen that you breathe. E6: At one time we had a plan for this, but budget cuts severely constrained us, no trees.

*wispers* Just replace your least desired decorations with trees from Hexen, but you didn't hear that from me.

One more question, I have this DECORATE code to create a new tree with Hexen sprites, but I get an error that it has no frames.

actor Tre1 10247
{
  Height 40
  Radius 20
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    TRE7 A 4
	Loop
  }
}

Clonehunter said:

Heretic doesn't have trees? Wow, never noticed. I mean, Doom, set on Mars and Hell, has trees.

When you think about it that way O_o *scrathes head*

TheCupboard said:

E3: you're underwater. I never saw a tree underwater before, no trees.

I have. They're a common sight when you dam rivers for hydro-electric power schemes and a terrible spot to get your line snagged when fishing. Heh - for that matter, there's a project just getting underway to harvest flooded trees from some of Hydro Tasmania's lakes.

neubejiita said:

One more question, I have this DECORATE code to create a new tree with Hexen sprites, but I get an error that it has no frames.

Try using the following spawn state -

Spawn:
    TRE7 A -1
    Stop
That should work, provided your tree sprite is named TRE7A0.

GreyGhost said:

I have. They're a common sight when you dam rivers for hydro-electric power schemes and a terrible spot to get your line snagged when fishing. Heh - for that matter, there's a project just getting underway to harvest flooded trees from some of Hydro Tasmania's lakes.

Try using the following spawn state -

Spawn:
    TRE7 A -1
    Stop
That should work, provided your tree sprite is named TRE7A0.

That worked perfectly. I exported the graphics from Hexen as PNG and imported them into the wad and the pallette was converted perfectly. Thank you.

Clonehunter said:

Heretic doesn't have trees? Wow, never noticed. I mean, Doom, set on Mars and Hell, has trees.

No, there are no damn trees on "Mars" or rather Phobos/Deimos. They were added for Inferno and they do look ridiculous, and apparently they were kept for Doom 2 as well.