Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

doomworld mapping club?

I can only think of a few of the top of my head but there have been a few people who have managed to make thirty maps in thirty days, and I've wanted to try this myself but I don't know if I would be able to. I was thinking about maybe shortening this to seven maps in seven days as that sounds much more plausible and much less a commitment, but I really like the idea of more community... involvement, I guess is the right word.

essentially what I was thinking is we do something like take a week of prep time, compile resources, let people commit, then do the seven days and end up with a nice little episode. everyone does their own seven so you make maps for whatever port you want using whatever resources you want. OP could have quick links to participants' posts and maps etc.

potentially after week 1 we could set aside week 2 for polishing and testing, then maybe even repeat the process once or twice more.

would anyone be interested? :D

Seven maps in seven days? I don't think i can pull it off, but it would be cool to see people give it a try.

I would say go 4 it. I personally wouldn't be able to accomplish something like this (perhaps if it was 7 maps in 10 years, maybe). So, if I have this right; each individual creates a seven map wad in a week and it's all compiled into a megawad of sorts? Or will they all just stay separate? Also, will it all be single player or can people create their own multi-player map sets? I could, provided that I put my mind to it, speed map duel maps quite fast, so I may contribute at some point if other game modes are allowed.

Intriguing idea, but I'm more of a 'seven maps in seven years' kind of guy. Actually, I'm not even sure if I can claim that at the moment.

Nice idea but I don't think I could make 7 maps in 7 days and still be happy to share them. If it was 1 map for the month then, yeah. 2 if I get on a roll.

The trick to this will be encouraging everyone to get involved with other peoples work rather than just posting about their own. In theory community projects should work this way but usually only 4 or 5 of the mappers will feedback on maps other than their own.

I like the ass-kicking rigidity of the concept. I also really like the scale of the idea: 7-maps is nearly the ideal length for a short episode that has a mostly-consistent theme.

Color me tempted.

I would be tempted to try, although I think this project may wind up producing a lot of half-baked ideas, especially if some people get tired of mapping a few days in.

Something something already in the works.
Blah blah this September, yadda yadda exclusive invites blargh.

there would definitely be issues, no doubt. one day is not a long period of time to produce really high quality stuff for one map but the idea is to be motivated by each other and make seven maps you would otherwise not make. of course after the fact you can beef stuff up as you see fit, choose your own cream of the crop, etc.

@Springy yeah it's all separate, no compilation I think. goal isn't necessarily to create a community project but to, as a community, simultaneously, create your own project. and yeah no limit on gamemode or whatever. whatever gets you ticking, that's the idea

@DooMAD & purist et al: I know seven maps in a week seems high but to me this seems like a good opportunity for pessimists like you :p anyone really can do it if they have the time, and I know you two certainly could :p

@TMD: sounds interesting yo

I'm in-terested. When does it start? I could blow some time.

Also, I've been thinking of a similar idea. Like the ZDoom Community Map project, where one mapper makes 1 or 2 rooms, then passes it on to another, and so on so forth...

This sounds like a really cool idea. I'd be down, it'll be interesting to see if I can actually do a map a day for a week.

TheMionicDonut said:

Something something already in the works.
Blah blah this September, yadda yadda exclusive invites blargh.

Oh boy. Would it be too forward of me to say I'm hoping to get one? :>

Also, Tango, I've been sort of toying around with an idea similar to this only I didn't think it would earn enough attention to get off the ground - three seperare small teams (2-3 mappers) each go off and make an episode of a WAD in a month completely independent from one another, then those three episodes are compiled into a MegaWAD. Sort of like a split release EP that small bands do or whatever.

And I don't know if I'd have the ability to produce 7 maps in 7 days and not have them devolve into dogshit, but I'll be watching this thread!!

I had a similar idea an_mutt but it was for larger teams (3-6 people) for a longer time (6 months) and it would be to make a megawad (at least 15 levels). With some friendly competitiveness between teams I thought it would be fun.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I'm down. Just finished Montana Deluxe and feeling adventurous.

yeah I think a week of prep would still be good. or a few days at the very least. I dunno. if you all are down to start this soon then so am I haha. perhaps... this Friday?

an_mutt & purist, those ideas sound really neat too. I would wager they would indeed be able to take off the ground :D

also I think even if someone attempts but only ends up with one map for the week, that's still great. seven would just be the goal I guess, but a count shouldn't stop anyone from mapping with us.

edit: actually I'm considering trying this out starting this Sunday the 17th