Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

First map you ever made.

I remember making my first map with the source sdk when I first tried it out. It looked like a small box with dev textures, with a city scanner npc put in it. Post about your first newbie map here.

I made a landscape on Worms World Party.

That was my first "map", it was impossible to play on due to some of the retarded designs I did.

In terms of non-2D games, I did make maps for Timesplitters. My first map was for Timesplitters 2 and it involved playing as the gingerbread man as he destroyed a sinister bakery... It was shit.

I was six or seven and made a Build map with Duke3d. It was pure art. Mostly consisted of some checkerboard tiles and those round table sprites with stools. Had a thing for diners, I guess.

Probably 4D Sports Driving ("Stunts") maps, or Arkanoid II: Revenge of Doh levels.

I was probably 13 or so. I used Waded to mangle MAP32. I remember every room had a flashing light tag, there were Commander Keens everywhere and the floor was the sky.

I was around 10 playing some bolder dash knock off with a level editor.

I made hundreds of levels with that thing.

I drawed some labyrinths on paper after seeing my brother draw labyrinths on paper.

On computer it was maybe something in MS Paint. Played them with cut/move the characters and missiles around or drawing new ones.

On some actual games, it was probably the same games/editors as Maes. Doom editing came a few years later, and Wolf3D editing I might have tried after Doom editing.

I used to send hand drawn maps of Castlevania castles to Konami after Castlevania 1. Does that count?

My first map was following the tutorial that came with DoomCAD. I didn't even have a registered copy of Doom at the time, so I couldn't actually test it, but I could admire it in the 3D wireframe mode that DoomCAD came with, and it kinda helped me at least learn the basic concepts of Doom map construction (though who knows if the damn thing would've even actually worked).

The first game I played that had an in game map editor was jetpack, some little tile based platforming game where the the protagonist was an unnamed dude with a helmet and a jet pack that flew around the map avoiding one hit kill robots, spikes, giant marbles, spinning blades and robotic bats collecting green gems and other treasure. Once all the gems were collected a wooden door would open up permitting you to exit the map.

my first map was some kinda city with a blocky tilebased helicopter in the middle that you could get inside. I made hundreds of maps with it.

40oz said:

jetpack

Ah, yes, I can't believe I forgot about this because...

40oz said:

I made hundreds of maps with it.

...I did the same thing. :P

My first map was for the RTS game Stronghold and it was very square, entirely flat in the middle, and didn't account for theme/height variation very well because the changes happened very abruptly. I was 10 years old and full of possibility.

my first map edit for any game could have been for warcraft 2 on a first gen pentium 1.

If it comes down to doom it would have been on that same computer using some DOS based editor with a fake 3D isometric style preview which you could tilt a bit... it was a square room with another square inside....

I vividly remember making maps for Worms World Party in MS Paint and having my eldest brother move them to the correct location for me. Most of them were just me drawing random geometry or attempting to make hills.

Looking at these replies makes me wonder how you guys improved your skills. I just mapped some more for hl2, quake, and even doom. I'm still improving my skills.

Breezeep said:

Looking at these replies makes me wonder how you guys improved your skills.

Well I didn't XD

First completed map was some marble textured monolith with at least one of every single monster in it. Mostly just rooms connected by corridors, but I think it was decent considering my skill level at the time.

I used to play user made maps off of shitty compilation CD's and PC Gamer magazine discs before getting online in 2000. I drew a few levels on graph paper long before getting any editing software. One day I found a copy of The DooM Hacker's Guide in the bargain bin at Staples and it came with a disc of Doom editing stuffs. So armed with DoomCad5.1 I made the first map for Doom II that would end up being the first level in Vilecore and it wasn't until afterwards that I finally got online with one of those free ISP things.

uh

You don't want to see the second either. Third as well. Fourth doesn't exist.

Not related to doom, I made around 100 homemade incredible machine 2 puzzles and around 200 loderunner custom levels. None are recoverable from that old fried win95. Not sure if it even counts as "maps".

Practice, and playing lots of other maps, are the ways I improved my skills. You just gotta keep mapping. You make a map, you play it, you look at what things you maybe could improve, and you make a new map. Play other people's maps, pay attention to ideas you might use in your own maps. Not saying you should rip off other people's creations, just you know, maybe you see something interesting they did with the architecture, or a neat lighting trick, or whatever, and think of how you can do things like that in your own maps. But most importantly, keep making new maps, and always be willing to look at your maps and say, "What could've been better?" Just don't do that over and over with the same map - otherwise you'll become obsessed with perfecting it and never actually get anywhere. Take what you've learned and make a new map, rather than simply trying harder and harder to add more polish to your existing one, 'cause that'll drive you insane.

In GTKRadiant I made a room colored in a disco floor pattern, and then used blocks to make an AT-AT. I called it Disco AT-AT and it was for Jedi Outcast. It was awful. I later tried again and made a cramped Cantina, before making a massive (And I mean truly massive) room with a huge brick for gameplay, meant for CTF. Basically two flags, a lot of running, and easy sniping.