Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaydoom

DoomBuilder 2.1 Questions

Hey guys, does anyone no how to fix a custom Wad that was messed up by Doombuilder? I just finished building another level saved it (but I saved it into my Wad I think this time instead of Save As) then the Doombuilder crashed with "unhandled exceptions." I then reopened Doombuilder, and built a small bit to a new level and tried to save it into the Wad. It didn't work. When I went to reopen my Wad it did not show my level anymore (the only one in the Wad). I have the back-ups that the program automatically makes but they wont work either. Doombuilder will not register that I have a level in that Wad file anymore. I even uninstalled Doombuilder, removed registry entries and reinstalled it. Still it won't show I have a level. I saved the map in Zdoom Format (Doom in Doom format) option and have no matter which format I choose to try and open the Wad my level does not appear. Is there anything I can do or is all the hard work I put into the level for naught?

First thing to do is to copy your wad and backups while they might still be in a recoverable state, saving them as a zip archive should do nicely. As mentioned by Du Mhan Yhu, the backups need to be renamed before DoomBuilder will recognise them and I'd give each one a unique name. Once that's done, see if ZDoom will run any of them, or if you have better luck finding maps with a different editor - like Slade. If all else fails, upload the zip archive to a reputable file sharing site and post a link in this thread.

jaydoom said:

..... stuff .....

Yup, saving a map into another map with 'Save Map Into ...' which already has the same
MAPxx number has always been a problem for Doombuilder2.

As well as GZDoom Builder, until MaxEd recently fixed it with revision r1965.
Now GZDoom Builder will display a warning that a map MAPxx already exists, and you can
decide how to proceed.

[r1965] by m-x-d  2014-06-30 13:42:45 

"File -> Save Map Into" command:
a map with previously used map name was deleted from the target wad if the command was used
after changing current map name.

"File -> Save Map Into" command:
added a confirmation dialog when a map with the same name already exists in the target wad.
Most likely, when the editor crashes with an "unhandled exception" notification, no backup
is generated. So, one has to rely on one's own previous backups if they exist. If no backups
had been made, tough luck. Chalk it up to experience.

GreyGhost said:

..... the backups need to be renamed before DoomBuilder will recognise them .....

As to files, such as MySuperMap.wad.backup, with the backup or backup1, etc. extension.
They can be read by both Doombuilder2 and GZDoom Builder without problem, they just do
not show up when selecting maps through 'Open Map ...'.

For that matter, the file could be named anything, eg: MySuperMap.wad.firstedition, and
dragging it onto the editor icon, the editor will strip everything after MySuperMap.wad and
open the map.

Kappes Buur said:

saving a map into another map with 'Save Map Into ...' which already has the same
MAPxx number has always been a problem for Doombuilder2.

I've been doing this loads and not had any problems yet, am I living on borrowed time?

To make things more clear, here are the problems with DB2's "Save map into" command:
1. If a target wad has a map with the same name as the one you are saving into it, it will be silently overwritten. In this case GZDB will ask you if you want to overwrite the map.
2. If you rename your current map and then use "Save map into" command in the same editing session (e.g. without closing the map or the editor), DB2 will remove the map with the OLD name from the target wad and will also replace the map with the NEW name with your current map (fixed in GZDB).