Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Toenail

Split Screen & Controllers

I've been trying to find a solution for a while, but I'm not sure if a viable solution exists.

What I want to do is play 3 or 4 player splitscreen Doom with 360 controllers.

Legacy has split screen, but it's only two players. I am also unsure if it has controller support.

I know there is a build of ZDoom with split screen, and ZDoom does support 360 controllers. However I don't think it's in a playable state yet.

I used to be able to do this with the PS3 port of Doom, but I don't have a PS3 anymore so that's not an option. (plus you can't use custom wads with that).

I would be gratefuul for any help, thanks.

Captain Toenail said:

I know there is a build of ZDoom with split screen

No there isn't.

Depends on which ones you are talking about. If it's my generic split video stuff, it is actually videos of a network game rendered together via avisynth.

If you are talking about this video, however, that was an experiment with getting more than one screen to render, which pretty much stopped at that for now. Sorry about that.

3DGE maybe? I've not tried it yet but apparently it has 4 player split screen. Not sure about Xbox controller support but you could at least use one of those programs to bind keyboard keys to the controller.

The best way to get a splitscreen game going with controllers is to use Doom Legacy in combination with XPadder (a free program specifically designed to use 360 controllers with any game). It only allows 2 players, but with a second PC you can get a network game going with 4 players.

If you have a second PC/Laptop you don't use much, this is a totally perfect time to pull it out and put it to use!

ReMood has 4 player support, but it's very buggy and hasn't been updated in eons.

I went through hell figuring this out ( http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/63194-no-2-player-splitscreen-allowed-solution-found-a-tale-of-social-dooming-gone-wrong/ ) so I really hope it comes in handy to you!

If ZDoom (or Zandronum / Zdaemon / Odamex) had splitscreen support, I think I'd explode with joy, but don't DARE to ask for it unless you want to be flamed by a bunch of losers who "don't see why multiplayer is so important" D: (I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE DEVS, OBVIOUSLY.)

Doomkid said:

"don't see why multiplayer is so important"

I don't think anybody on ZDoom has ever said this. However, it's also pointless to ask because it's more of those "if it happens it happens" features.

Doomkid said:

If ZDoom (or Zandronum / Zdaemon / Odamex) had splitscreen support, I think I'd explode with joy, but don't DARE to ask for it unless you want to be flamed by a bunch of losers who "don't see why multiplayer is so important" D:

If you make such idiotic remarks you will get what you deserve.

Have you ever asked yourself how much WORK it is to implement such a feature and keep it operational?

The only reason this gets constantly no'd on ZDoom is that there's only a handful of users who want this and it's just not worth putting in months of tedious work for it. This is far from trivial to implement.

Well, it's a good thing I didn't actually make any idiotic remarks! People have been flamed to hell and back on the Zandronum forums for simply enquiring about splitscreen support - It's not like people are sitting here demanding it be implemented or kicking up a fuss, it was a simple request that doesn't require anything more than a simple answer.

Implementing splitscreen is very tough, and it isn't going to happen. We get it. I shouldn't have even added ZDoom onto that list, but people (again I'll stress, NOT developers) were total dicks when I simply asked about it a year or so back. That hardly means people "deserve" to get flamed for their "idiotic remarks".

fraggle said:

I'm sure it's disappointing if you really want this feature but try to see it from the developers' perspective.

Doomkid said:

I understand, I really appreciate everything that all source port developers have done for keeping Doom ticking. It's not the developers I was upset with so much as the attitude a lot of n00bs had when the question came up.

Doomkid said:

Well, it's a good thing I didn't actually make any idiotic remarks! People have been flamed to hell and back on the Zandronum forums for simply enquiring about splitscreen support - It's not like people are sitting here demanding it be implemented or kicking up a fuss, it was a simple request that doesn't require anything more than a simple answer.

Ok, sorry, I didn't consider the retardedness of the online community - which is a big reason I stay the hell away from it. ;)

Because on the ZDoom forum there are no flames. Threads suggesting a splitscreen feature get closed on sight, though...

Graf Zahl said:

Ok, sorry, I didn't consider the retardedness of the online community - which is a big reason I stay the hell away from it. ;)

Because on the ZDoom forum there are no flames. Threads suggesting a splitscreen feature get closed on sight, though...

I understand, it would get really irritating hearing the same question time and time again when it's already been explained.