Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Romero is working on his first shooter since Daikatana

I think he should practice on doom levels and then make games, that way they will be more fun and interesting.

I stopped reading at the typo of his name. Christ, gamespot is bad.

John probably doesn't "still have it" because he was only part of a whole that had it in the first place. I know John made some great maps, made the tools he did it with, and put in the functions he needed when he needed them, but you can't forget the rest of the guys. Hopefully he's got a cool team working with him, but I wouldn't bank on it being good just because he's involved (as history has shown us with Daikatana).

Patrol1985 said:

Can he draw conclusions from Daikatana and create a genuinely good FPS in this time?

Daikatana may have had a ton of issues, but most of them had very little to do with the underlying design. It's of course going to depend on what role Romero would have on his new project, but assuming he'd stay in a more generic design role I can only imagine him having a more positive effect. Then again, maybe he's grown up over the years to be able to take a more managerial role as well without screwing everything up.

Hopefully it wont be filled with guns that shoot bullets that bounce off walls that then bounce off your brainstem and kill you like in Daikatana.

Jodwin said:

Daikatana may have had a ton of issues, but most of them had very little to do with the underlying design.

It was more of a "biting more than you can chew" situation.

It's rather easy to dream up a perfect game. Designing a good game that you can actually make is harder, I believe.

joe-ilya said:

I think he should practice on doom levels and then make games, that way they will be more fun and interesting.

I recall from a video where he said, "if I were to do doom maps again, I would have to practice to be as good as some of the modders out there".[not exactly that, but along those lines]

He also expressed that he would make a game similar to doom that was open-world, that was more co-operative based. He said he wants to make a game similar to Battlefield, and Fallout 3.

Edit: He said it here around 1:15:00-1:19:00

I'd really like to see what he can produce these days. It seems to me that he's very aware of what made Doom work and he's obviously respectful of what today's Doom content makers are up to. He's also a lot more grown up too.

I've a feeling that he'll do something harking back to the Doom days as he's been floating around doing talks and Doom playthroughs for the past while and has presumably picked up a little inspiration...

PS: What engine are they using in the above video? How do you get those nice glowing lights in the ceiling?

Average said:

I'd really like to see what he can produce these days. It seems to me that he's very aware of what made Doom work and he's obviously respectful of what today's Doom content makers are up to. He's also a lot more grown up too.

I've a feeling that he'll do something harking back to the Doom days as he's been floating around doing talks and Doom playthroughs for the past while and has presumably picked up a little inspiration...

PS: What engine are they using in the above video? How do you get those nice glowing lights in the ceiling?

He said he was using Doom's Day. The lighting and blood look very good.

Perhaps it would not be great in terms of publicity, but I think it would be pretty cool if he were actually to create a remake of Daikatana, except that this time it's actually good.

I'm 3 hours in on Dai Katana. It got a lot better. Also there's a new quake engine game Bedlam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261490/

It'll be interesting to see what Romero is doing. I can hear the advertising now:

John Romero will make you his bitch! AGAIN!

John Romero will make you his bitch! AGAIN! [/B]

i can kind of see that happening. since so many people remember that line, and John Romero would be in the development team, i can't think of a better way to advertise the game with than to bring up that slogan again.

Doomhuntress said:

i can kind of see that happening. since so many people remember that line, and John Romero would be in the development team, i can't think of a better way to advertise the game with than to bring up that slogan again.

The Internet would love it instead of just saying it a different way.

John Romero is gonna fuck your ass!

John Romero is gonna turn your world upside-down!

hardcore_gamer said:

That game looks terrible. It looks like a mod for Quake 2.

I agree. It convinces me even more that there is a time and place for everything, and older id Tech engines have had theirs already.

Such games don't look "retro" to me. They look shitty. It's one thing to play games like DOOM, but with full awareness of when they were released, but a completely different thing to release a game much inferior to games released TEN years ago, with "2014" stapled on it.

Then again, I assume the authors know what they're doing and perhaps there is a target customer group driven by nostalgia towards this particular style, so more power to them.

Looks like a good game from around 2000 to me. Maybe except blood - it's too stylized and clashes with everything else.

Release date has nothing to do with the graphics being shitty or not.

Da Werecat said:

Release date has nothing to do with the graphics being shitty or not.

I'm not sure I understand. It has a lot to do with the release date, because each period has / had its "standard" by which other games were measured. In 1993 it was Doom, in 1997 it was Quake 2, in 2004 it was Half-Life 2 etc.

Like you said, in 2000 the game would be "decent", but in 2014 it looks horrible. Release date is very important here.

It doesn't look horrible, it looks like a 2000 game in 2014. Those are not the same things.

Patrol1985 said:

Release date is very important here.

To you - maybe.

It's not that hard to understand. You have two kinds of people in the world when it comes to these things.

The first group believes technology is all that matters, and their appreciation of visuals is based on the features used, how photorealistic or at least lifelike it looks.

The second group believes art direction and composition play a bigger role, and their appreciation of visuals is tied to the execution of these concepts in each individual game.

First group thinks second group is a bunch of pretentious asshats who pretend to care about something irrelevant that obviously doesn't even exist just so they can act smarter than everyone else.

Second group thinks first group is a bunch of drooling morons who jump on a bullet point list or cling to an engine name because they lack any artistic taste and can't have an opinion otherwise.

There, every video game graphics debate on the Internet solved.

Coming soon:

John Romero's "Making of the bitch". Suck it down.

Bedlam does look pretty decent for probably QIII era. I do think they should have stylized it a lot more if they're going to release something like that today, but from the description it sounds like the dated look is somewhat intentional.

Nomad said:

I stopped reading at the typo of his name. Christ, gamespot is bad.

rofl how did I miss that. that is really bad.

hardcore_gamer said:

That game looks terrible. It looks like a mod for Quake 2.

I don't think it looks terrible but it doesn't look great either. It reminds me of that Gunman Chronicles thing that was a mod for Half-Life that they turned into a stand alone retail game..

Ughh anyways I'd actually be interested in what Romero might be cooking up with this possible shooter thing.

Daikatana was a mixed bag. It had some good bits amongst the bad. I recently replayed some of the first episode and I don't mind the mosquitoes at all but hate the frogs. I like some of the early outside levels but hate parts of the sewer maps.. maybe Stevie Case made some of them with her cleavage. I liked the Greek levels first time I played through them and Dr Sleep told me once that he made some of those if my memory is correct. The AI is bad at times. Some of the weapons are nice. I should finish replaying it all.

Maes said:

Coming soon:

John Romero's "Making of the bitch". Suck it down.

This angry inmate must have been the PR guy that came up with "John Romero will make you his bitch"

I want to play "John Romero's Chainsaw 95"... I hope his new project goes ok.

That Bedlam doesn't look too bad, except for the blood looking out of place and if there are no hands holding the guns, they shouldn't be placed like that.