Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Romero is working on his first shooter since Daikatana

Jimi said:

I want to play "John Romero's Chainsaw 95"... I hope his new project goes ok.

That Bedlam doesn't look too bad, except for the blood looking out of place and if there are no hands holding the guns, they shouldn't be placed like that.

I actually really like the look of it and I've always liked bright, square, pixelly blood. It adds to the abstraction of the game world. I've never been a fan of too much realism. If I wanted that, I'd go outside! :P Besides, isn't it all a deliberate design choice? After all, the character is trapped in a game world so it's good to see that in the graphics. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Well, I think he is one of the fewest, who actually able to make a great FPS.
Daikatana is fine to me, but feels like development team was finishing it in a hurry and game sucks in some places. Overall it have a cool concept and I think he should remake it, so Daikatana would look as it intended to be.

Kontra Kommando said:

I recall from a video where he said, "if I were to do doom maps again, I would have to practice to be as good as some of the modders out there".[not exactly that, but along those lines]

He also expressed that he would make a game similar to doom that was open-world, that was more co-operative based. He said he wants to make a game similar to Battlefield, and Fallout 3.

It would be cool if it were like the Stronghold mod.

There is already some Daikatana fix/remake project: OpenKatana

And about the square blood in Bedlam, I just think the particles are too big. That big blood should have textures like in Doom.

When I was playing through, I was surprised people hadn't remade it in Source.

Doom Dude said:

I don't think it looks terrible but it doesn't look great either. It reminds me of that Gunman Chronicles thing that was a mod for Half-Life that they turned into a stand alone retail game..

i replayed Gunman Chronicles some time ago, and it was... okay. it had some interesting environments thanks to the HL-engine, and the guns were ridiculous and fun to use. but messing with the weapons fire-modes wasn't nearly as satisfying as it could be, like a Shotgun firing 4 shells at once in the strongest and slowest mode you could configure the gun to have, wasn't really as fun to use as you'd think it would be. it's also really, really short, something around Opposing Force's length of gameplay, except that game was actually fun. the story's kind of interesting, and the whole "cowboys in space" theme is hilariously odd.

overall, the game isn't a disaster, but it isn't that good, either. it's so-so.

Doomhuntress said:

it's also really, really short, something around Opposing Force's length of gameplay, except that game was actually fun.

But... Opposing Force WAS fun! ;(

Doomhuntress said:

overall, the game isn't a disaster, but it isn't that good, either. it's so-so.

I haven't played either Gunman or Opposing Force in years.... or Blue Shift for that matter. One of these days I'll have to play through all the Half-Life stuffs again. Opposing Force was certainly a fun game, what little I remember of it. I liked Gunman but like you said it wasn't great.

joe-ilya said:

Agrian Carmack
Jone Carmack
Tam Halls.

The 'ID suftwere' team!

Don't forget Sendy Pitarsan!

Doom Dude said:

I haven't played either Gunman or Opposing Force in years.... or Blue Shift for that matter. One of these days I'll have to play through all the Half-Life stuffs again. Opposing Force was certainly a fun game, what little I remember of it. I liked Gunman but like you said it wasn't great.

Opposing Force was a really nice expansion. New mechanics, weapons and enemies. Blue Shift just seemed to introduce better AI or at least different situations to utilize AI.

I'm keeping a firm eye on this. It's awesome that Romero wants to go back into making shooters, he's one of the few people in the industry that both understands what made the oldschool shooters so appealing and legitimately seems to want to go back to what worked about them. John also seems a lot more laid back and wise than he did in the 90s, I have confidence that he'll get it right this time. You need to make mistakes to learn from them, and that might even result in doing better than if you had never made those mistakes.

Daikatana had pretty great potential, it's just that mismanagement and inexperienced developers stunted that potential through exceptionally poor execution. It had the right ideas, but fell on its face attempting them.

joe-ilya said:

Agrian Carmack
Jone Carmack

No, no! It's Cormick, not Carmack!

joe-ilya said:

But TeemTNT designed boom.

No, they designed Gloom in order to raise the engine limits of ID Suftware's acclaimed game, Boom.

I'm pretty interested to see how this turns out, I hope he makes some progress.

I'm actually sort of surprised that mobile games are enough to keep him interested after spending so many years around Carmack and FPS games.

joe-ilya said:
Agrian Carmack
Jone Carmack

Also, Amerisan McFee, he was part of of Ed Softwares too! He and Cindy Peters made maps for Dom 2 and Quack!

Guise plez you 4got Booby Mince and Pawn Weed!

Anyway onto the game at hand, I just hope it doesn't become a giant mess like Daikatana was. I do however, wish John the best of luck for this new game, and it's nice to see him still creating games to this day.

Clonehunter said:

I honestly think Blue Shift was/is the best Half Life game.

To each their own, Blue Shift was awesome as well. I really liked the idea of expansions telling the same story from a different perspective. All of them were great and completed each other... perhaps apart from "Half-Life: Decay", but that's because it was designed for co-op only and playing it alone was troublesome (it never got an official PC version, but fortunately someone ported it).

Waffenak said:

Noise, master working with something new

Waffenak, I must understand this language which speaks to you!

Clonehunter said:

I honestly think Blue Shift was/is the best Half Life game.

I think Opposing Force is the best. :P