Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sithmartyr

Doom Collecting - Mail Order

Hello, I'm new to these forums but not new to Doom. So last week I acquired this:

I got it for $66.00 total. It didn't come with a manual. :(

The box is in pretty rough shape too. I'm curious if any of you still have a box laying around and possibly with a manual that you lost the floppies with and that you were willing to part with.

Stray manuals turn up sometimes on eBay, but I don't like your chances of finding a spare box.

Looks pretty typical condition for one of those boxes. I doubt you'll find many better without paying lots and lots of money.

sithmartyr said:

It's mainly the top of the box that makes me cringe:

That's one of the pitfalls of buying old games. At least the top flap's still there, I wasn't as lucky with my Heretic mail order box.

Nice big box. They went out of favour for digital distribution. And ofc the disks are also more as a collectible than a real thing. Who uses them today ? ;) Anyway, good to have the cool artwork in bigger version than 320x200 in-game pic ;)

Wow, nice find! Doom floppy disks? Haven't seen those in ages. I'll second the drooling over the Heretic boxes, too. Good stuff, dude!

Wow, I scored another one for $41.00

This one came with the manual, no addendum, and had all 4 floppies + the box was in much better condition.
Floppies tested and work great.

Now to get Romero to sign them the next time I see him. >:D

VGA said:

That's a lot of heretics :drool:

And a lot of Dooms, Whats the point of buying multiple copies of the same game anyways.

Doominator2 said:

And a lot of Dooms, Whats the point of buying multiple copies of the same game anyways.

Heh, that box is Romero's, he didn't buy those :-)

Waffenak said:

Collecting Doom stuff is fun. Wait till you start collecting posters, miniatures etc.

Saw them on Doom Wiki. Pretty fun but I will stay with only my Doom Collector's Edition.

From Doom stuff, I also have two book (both in Polish).

1st one - Jonathan Mendoza - "The Official Doom Survival Guide" (Polish title - Doom. Strategie i sekrety. In English: Doom. Strategies & secrets or Doom. Tips & Tricks). issued in Poland in 1995. That's the Polish issue of Sybex book (I think I should have a floppy with 1.25 shareware but mine copy came "unfloppied"). Other details: Library of Congess Card Number: 94-66139, ISBN 0-7821-1546-2 (original edition), ISBN 83-7101-219-5 (polish edition).

2nd one - Robert Waring (misspelled as Warning) - Totally Unauthorized Guide to Doom II. Brady Games (1995), 978-1566862288. Also Polish issue (from 1996). Also "unfloppied".

Both books have different covers (Doom II one - red texture-like with screen from map Tricks & Traps - Baron fighting with Cyber).

Side-note trivia for Doom 2 book: all monster names in walkthrough part are in English - except for Shotgun Guy. There are also translations of other monster names but the English original names are used (sometimes they're quite funny like for Mancubus - Wardrobe-sized-Monster) or for Imp (Spiked Uglie). And last one: Zombieman has marine graphic, Shotgun Guy has Zombieman sprite. Baron & Knight are reversed.