Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_MártonJános

How do you modify your Boom-compatible wads in Windows (newer than 98)?

I wasted precious time searching for the answer throughout Google, because the exact term of my question cannot be sentenced by simple keywords. So, here it is.

Method 1. I tried to get the program DeHackEd in motion, but since I got Win7, it systematically crashed upon execution, even in DosBox.

Method 2. I copied a wad's DeHackEd into one of my WIP's and rewrited to fit my expectations concerning that. The result: loading it up took about one minute, slowed down by the process of writing notices into the command line about "unknown chunks" in the DeHackEd file.

So, I'm asking you whether you can help.

Thanks!

Actually, it loaded up to me, but it doesn't near have the function I desire, editing mapslots' title and music. Am I too lame to find those or is there another utility to do so?

Map names are under the "Strings" area, about 1/3rd of the way down the list. Music names are also strings, but oddly it looks like they aren't listed for a Boom-format patch. I guess there's no Boom-specific string name for them. If you make a normal Doom/Doom2 dehacked patch for just those strings with WhackEd, and paste it in to your Boom patch, I think it should work.

Note that for music name strings, the D_ prefix is omitted, i.e. MAP01's music is listed as RUNNIN instead of D_RUNNIN.

Curious as to why you want to change the music names anyhow though?

plums said:

Curious as to why you want to change the music names anyhow though?

Music names? Did I say so? I just wanted to overwrite UD's predefined music slots for Episode 4, that's all.

Cell said:

Music names? Did I say so? I just wanted to overwrite UD's predefined music slots for Episode 4, that's all.

Sorry, by "music names" I meant the name of the music lump. And yeah, E4 is hardcoded to lumps for other maps, can't change one without changing the other.

MUSINFO in prboom+ sucks because you still get to hear like the first two seconds of the first midi.

You just put one changer in the sector where the player starts, and that sets the music for the rest of the map. A few megawads do this for maps 33-35 to avoid using the intermission music that you'd get otherwise.

If that doesn't appeal to you, then yeah, you're stuck with MAPINFO or an E4 music wad.

Memfis said:

MUSINFO in prboom+ sucks because you still get to hear like the first two seconds of the first midi.

It could be better for sure, but hearing the first few seconds isn't that bad IMO.

Memfis said:

It's not just PrBoom+, MUSINFO music changes wait for 30 tics before they take effect.

Gez said:

It's not just PrBoom+, MUSINFO music changes wait for 30 tics before they take effect.

This maybe the case with PrBoom+ and GZDoom, but not with Risen3D, the original port for MUSINFO. R3D detects any change to the map before running it.

hawkwind said:

This maybe the case with PrBoom+ and GZDoom, but not with Risen3D, the original port for MUSINFO. R3D detects any change to the map before running it.

So, there's no delay if the music changer thing is in the same sector as the player start, but otherwise there's still a delay? Or there's never any delay and it sounds kind of weird if you quickly go back and forth between two sectors with different music changers?

plums said:

You just put one changer in the sector where the player starts(...)

That'd be a solution, but what if then I save the game somewhere in the level and later load it back? Or MUSINFO deals with it as well?

Cell said:

That'd be a solution, but what if then I save the game somewhere in the level and later load it back? Or MUSINFO deals with it as well?

The active music track is saved in PrBoom+, and restored properly. I assume other ports with MUSINFO support do the same.

My Risen3D (launcher says it's 2.2.12) processes MUSINFO in the same way as prboom+ does. Yep, if music changer is placed in the sector where the player starts, then you will hear default music for the first 30 tics. IIRC, Eternal replaced D_RUNNIN and D_STALKS with empty (silent) MIDI in Voodoo Guns for workaround.

Just tested with this test level:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/235592644/files/test238.wad.zip

Renaming D_RUNNI to D_RUNNIN does the trick.

So there does appear to be a problem after all. I'll mention this to GJ. BTW the latest Risen3D is 2.2.26.

UPDATE ...

Here is GJ's response to this ...

quote ... The reason there is a delay is to introduce hysteresis if moving back and forth quickly between two sectors with mus change Things. This is why I admire Deadall. He understood the reason for the delay and designed VG accordingly (as someone pointed out). The best way to prevent this if wanting an early change is to either get rid of the first muschange Thing and use its entry as the default map music or suppress any default music as Deadall has done in VG (cchest3 map28 also has no default music if mappers want another example of how to do this). ... end quote.