Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

E1M1 in Super Mario 64

As I was google searching for any custom Doom maps made with inspiration from levels of Super Mario 64 I came across this video:

I think it's pretty cool how people have been able to port or at least recreate Doom maps in emulated console games.

If all the levels were replaced with Doom ones, I would definitely play through Mario 64 again. :P

That's pretty cool. :)

Definitely cool, but they kind of screwed it up in a few areas.

First off, upper sidedefs are still visible on skyhack sectors where they clearly should not be. Secondly, they left the level without aspect ratio correction, leaving it to be somewhat short. They also left the floor looking garbled and distorted in the computer room, and the implementation of the transparent walls in the exit room (pre-booth) is poorly implemented.

I think it'd be fun to go the other way around with putting SM64 levels into Quake 1. I'd love to go around blasting koopas and goombas with the super nailgun.

Sodaholic said:

First off, upper sidedefs are still visible on skyhack sectors where they clearly should not be. Secondly, they left the level without aspect ratio correction, leaving it to be somewhat short. They also left the floor looking garbled and distorted in the computer room, and the implementation of the transparent walls in the exit room (pre-booth) is poorly implemented.

Still more accurate than the easter egg in RAGE.

Sodaholic said:

I think it'd be fun to go the other way around with putting SM64 levels into Quake 1. I'd love to go around blasting koopas and goombas with the super nailgun.

It's a completely different engine in every single way. It can't replicate everything down to 100%.

Just appreciate it for what it is.

Avoozl said:

Doom maps made with inspiration from levels of Super Mario 64

That's more like a Super Mario 64 level with inspiration from Doom maps, though ;-)

Chu said:

It's a completely different engine in every single way. It can't replicate everything down to 100%.

Just appreciate it for what it is.

It has nothing to do with the engine, it's a lack of certain polishing.

The skyhack walls could and should have been manually turned to actual sky. Minimal effort would've been needed to scale the positions of vertices on the Z axis. If the engine is unable to render textures with transparency like the grate texture, the Jaguar mapset provides a decent architectural alternative that could have been adopted.

It appears to me that he used some kind of map exporter to a generic 3D model format and imported it into the SM64 level editor with minimal changes. The above changes would not have been difficult.

That being said, I'm not complaining, only nitpicking. This mod is awesome regardless.

I saw this months back and it got my mind whirling.

Put E1 into Mario 64 and load the maps up with baddies - Goombas, koopas, those little orange spider thingies, etc. Put switches where the keys were, and put a star in each exit room.

I'd be addicted to that like fucking crack.

Now if there was a Super Mario 64 map mod for Doom. I would like to fight a Cyberdemon replacing Bowser, the Spiny could be replaced by the Lost Soul, Lakitu could be replaced by the Pain Elemental, etc.

Maes said:

That's more like a Super Mario 64 level with inspiration from Doom maps, though ;-)

Well I meant custom maps of course. :P

riki2cool said:

This is what DOOM 64 should have been.

Actually, no it shouldn't have been, at least IMO.

I wonder what it would've been like if the original levels were done with the gradient lighting of Doom 64, they would certainly look a bit more interesting.

Sludge pits should have that weird green haze in it. Doors should be thwomps. Armor pick up should be the metal mario cap.

God, modders these days don't even put effort into their adorable little ideas, do they?