Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Z-Match: 3rd Strike [RELEASE!]

Z-Match: 3RD STRIKE is finally here!

Now on /idgames! - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/v-z/zdm_3.zip

Z-Match: 3rd Strike is a collection of 14 maps with a hellish, almost medieval theme. Inspiration is taken from several great WADs, but this pack has a unique identity that it brings to the table. Gameplay and detail were top priority while designing these - You will not get bored playing them!

For those who dislike the BFG, I have made it optional. Skill 4/5 retains the BFG, skill 1/2 replaces it with a soulsphere, and skill 3 replaces it with a plasma rifle.

Screenshots ahead!

We hope you will find lots of pleasure fragging your friends here. Each map will require the player to think differently than the last, especially in a duel setting. Personally, I reccommend 4-6 players - The gameplay is fast paced, but remains uncluttered. Record some demos and let us know what you think! :)

Maps designed by:

Doomkid
The_Miano
Captain Toenail
Mr.Crispy
Springy
DoomRenegade
Joe Pallai
Matt Guerrero

Special thanks to TheAwesomePanda for some MIDI files, Jon Rimmer for textures, VisualVincent for DoomWriter, Adelusion for his amazing maps, and everyone who helped playtest. You guys kick butt.

(/idgames mirror coming soon, hopefully!)

looks cool! reminds me of exec.wad. get some more tan brick in there :)

Thanks for responding, guys. This wad is at about 90% completion as of now, we're just tweaking a few little things like graphics and the like. Designing a decent titlepic is pretty hard!

These screenshots look very original, do you have a big group on skype to compile with the mappers or something? I would like to contribute something for this thing, is it going to be a megawad of some sort?

Hey Joe, this wad is going to be 12 maps and is pretty much done, but we're going to be making more DM maps in the future and we usually do all our meeting up on Doomworld, ZDplayers, or #odamex on the quakenet IRC.

This ain't dead!

3 MAP DEMO: 3-Map Demo Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4vshdibowzuj62z/z3_beta_.zip

The whole Zmatch team has been polishing up their maps. Joe Pallai's map is just about done, it's quite a unique layout - we've had loads of fun playtesting. There's a public beta server up on Odamex courtesy of Mr. Crispy and Dr. Sean. Join us for a sneak-peak on this wad and have a few frags :)

We can be contacted in irc.quakenet.org / #dmstuff.

This thing will be released soon - stay tuned!

Jesus Christ in a ketmine karate session, I don't know what those screenshots are laced with but whatever it is, I want more. Up for a session at some point with this, sunshine?

So this is going to be called ZMatch not Hell's Keep Deathmatch? Either way I'm fine with either of those titles. Send me the full version with all the wads so we can both decide on which midis should stay or go. Also, from my version that I sent you (the one with all the slayer midis), what are your thoughts on some of the sounds I added? I was planning on editing the SSG and the pump action shotgun to make it sound louder just by a few decibels. Mr. Crispy also liked the fast chaingun and a few others liked the bloody sprites haha

But other than that, I'm glad to see people are actually enjoying this demo version.

You still accepting maps? I just wondered as I had a revised version of YM sitting on this computer that was supposed to be uploaded back to id games, not long after it appeared on there with most of the stuff fixed (texture misalignment's for example, it was after all a speed map), an exit and even a wider corridor.

@the_miano: Hey man, I think I might add in that new pistol/chaingun sound, I love the one that's currently in, but we've all heard it a billion times before. I'm going to leave the guns mostly vanilla, with the exception of the bayonet, 2x strength chainsaw, and perhaps speeding up the pistol, which was a really good idea.

@Springy: Damn, this wad is almost complete, but I'll take a look at your map and run it past the guys. (I'm sure it will be awesome, I've already turned away other authors, but what the hell!) It would be cool to have 13 maps instead of 12, that's for damn sure.

Get onto #dmstuff or #odamex on irc.quakenet.org! Me and the_miano are also usually on #ZDplayers.

Doomkid said:

@the_miano: Hey man, I think I might add in that new pistol/chaingun sound, I love the one that's currently in, but we've all heard it a billion times before. I'm going to leave the guns mostly vanilla, with the exception of the bayonet, 2x strength chainsaw, and perhaps speeding up the pistol, which was a really good idea.

Sounds good. Will this be called Zmatch or Hell's Keep?

Doomkid said:

D'oh, I forgot to say it in my last post. I'm going with the Z-Match name :)

Maybe one day we can make a wad called Hell's Keep :)

It is a good name, I definitely think we should use it for a future project.

It was realy fun playtesting earlier, man! Hopefully next time more will join us! If timezones were more forgiving, I know Springy would want to join in.

Doomkid said:

It is a good name, I definitely think we should use it for a future project.

It was realy fun playtesting earlier, man! Hopefully next time more will join us! If timezones were more forgiving, I know Springy would want to join in.

Likewise :)

I hate that we live like 13 hours apart hahaha

May I suggest that for the pistol you use dual pistols like in DV2/Doom Raider the sound effects in the former may be suitable too, except for the sg (I think they are from ED4 for anyone interested in their origin). Also, the map in question (the one I said about earlier, the refined version aka: platinum, limited, special, collectors, less shit edition, is on my HDD).

That's a sweet map Springy, I remember it. Honestly, I'd say it'd fit in rather well with that sort of midieval/gothic look.

Hopefully I can call it something other than "your mum", lmao. What do you think a good name would be?

If that map is going to be added to the pack, I would honestly re-texture it and definitely add more corridor routes for a little more flow. Other than that, the map isn't terrible, but could use some improvement.

Ok Doomkid I did a quick play through the wad to find anything.

Map05: You should merge the sectors of the soulsphere bars so they behave as one door. Also can you change the metallic floor panel flats in the new lift to something matching the theme of the map (brown metal, wood or something)?

Map06: The midtexture bleeding bug is still there. Also can you change the sky to REDSKY or EXECSKY?

Map10: Needs more texture variation or markers to make the map easier to navigate. It's easy to get lost because all the corridors and rooms look similar.

I also noticed a tutti-frutti texture bug in one of the maps but I can't remember what map it is. It was a brown metal texture. (tested with ZDaemon)

And misc stuff:

-not a fan of the teleport sound
-there's a black chaingun but it has the stock pickup sprite
-the fist is replaced with a rifle bayonet, but there's no rifle weapon to shoot

Otherwise the other maps seem pretty cool and fun to play.

Sweet, I can change all of that. The plan was to speed the pistol up slightly, it would make more sense at this point to have it be a rife.

Alrighty, fresh beta coming to you guys soon. We're getting close!

Okay, I've added in the rifle graphic, it animates quite smoothly too. Going to make some improvements on Map10 and get a recolored CG sprite in there too.

Captain Toenail said:

Map06: The midtexture bleeding bug is still there.

Where exactly is this bug Cpt T? I couldn't find it while I was browsing around the map.

Also, Springy, can you provide me a link to the map you want me to use?

Doomkid said:

Okay, I've added in the rifle graphic, it animates quite smoothly too. Going to make some improvements on Map10 and get a recolored CG sprite in there too.

Where exactly is this bug Cpt T? I couldn't find it while I was browsing around the map.

Also, Springy, can you provide me a link to the map you want me to use?

Any update on a new beta?

Springy's map is coming along quite nicely:

As well as Joe Pallai's:

This thing is getting so damn close - Stay tuned!

I fixed a couple of texture bugs/missalighments in my map (MAP04 Terminated). You wouldn't have really notice them unless I pointed them out to you lol

Just my thoughts so far: Things are look really great. I'm very pleased to see how you're managing the project DK.

MAP09 (Renegades): I know may have said this a hundred times, but I think this map is lacking some detail and decoration. You did a really good job with MAP12 regarding the decorations and detailing. It would be nice if some more fancy stuff (like the hanging cages, bloody corpses, pillars, etc... was added just for the sake of eye candy. That is pretty much my only gripe with the map. Other than that the gameplay is pretty solid.

MAP13 This is looking really badass! It just needs to be prettified more, especially around the outer area with the blood ocean. It could use more mountains, stone towers, hellish stuff (corpses hanging on pillars) and other nice shit. I think the exit is in a really weird location. Maybe that can be moved to a more discrete area? Also, what do you think of the idea of having a BFG in the map?

Just some other miscellaneous things: I was thinking, is it possible to make the assault rifle that replaces the pistol to fire at a semi-auto rate? Like, single shot but can be fired at a rapid rate when the player presses the fire button/mouse? It sounds pretty neat in my opinion. The current rate of fire isn't really that much of a change from the original pistol.

I'll give you a link with my edited map in a few minutes....

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3iclwq99mdvmi52/ZDMBX4_Miano+map04+fix.wad

Just be sure to use the contents of my edited version of MAP04 for your upcoming betas.

Awesome, thanks man :)

Yeah, I will add some more decor to DoomRenegade's map & Joe Pallai's map. Nearly there, though!

And yes, I can up the rifle speed further too, that will be an easy tweak.

joepallai said:

This is looking sweet and I'm liking the changes/additions done to Blood Ocean--really makes the map work.

I'm glad you like it Joe.

Hey! Sorry fellas, I've been ultra busy at work. This thing is so close to done it hurts. I just need Springy's final map name and a link to your termination update. I fixed the 'negative ammo' glitch with the rifle, added some more decor to Joe's map - 99% done!

EDIT: Doh, just saw your Terminated link, the_miano. I'll update the beta now. *gets all excited and aroused and such*