Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SirKicksalot

What do we know about id Software's cancelled Darkness?

This was the game they've been working on for 18 months after Doom 3.

I can only find two mentions of it:

- first in 2008, which is where basically all info is coming from: http://www.shacknews.com/article/53992/id-reveals-cancelled-survival-horror
tl;dr: it was a survival horror set on an island. You were the survivor of a plane crash. It would have been dark like Doom 3 and used the same horror techniques. Sharing the faults of Doom 3 + low sales of the survival horror genre = project cancelled after 18 months of work.

- Darkness is again mentioned in 2011, a couple of days before Rage is launched: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-return-of-id-software
Tim Willits says the game was cancelled once they realised megatextures can build large outdoor areas, and that's how Rage was born.

Is there anything else out there? I find it odd that so much time and effort was put into this game yet almost nothing is known about it.

You'd probably be surprised how often games go long periods of development before being canned for no particular reason. In addition to what you listed (Doom 3 sorta tanking, survival horror not doing well, Rage dominating their resources), it's not uncommon that a game gets to a point in development where the people in charge realize that a project is just spinning its wheels and needs to be put down or completely restructured before it costs too much money. Otherwise you end up with DNF, and nobody wants that, no matter how hard they worked on it. Recall what happened a couple years ago with Doom 4; the execs saw what was being worked on and canned the whole thing to start over. There was at least a good 3 years worth of work on that, if I remember correctly.

The line about we would have been making Doom 3's mistakes holds weight with me. Plus maybe they didn't have a budget to advertise it and realized we'd need to sell 1 million copies to break even and spend more money advertising it making the need to sell 3 million copies.

Or maybe someone played it and said wow this just really isn't fun. Or maybe it was a buggy mess that would embarrass iD.

Perhaps it just wasn't worked on at all and only had a title and menu screen.

It's funny how even id Software considered Doom 3 "flawed" despite the fact that to this day it's their best selling title ever :D

Patrol1985 said:

It's funny how even id Software considered Doom 3 "flawed" despite the fact that to this day it's their best selling title ever :D

Yeah like Capcom and SquareEnix say we only sold 6 million copies = not 100 million copies sold. Plus a flawed game can sell a lot.