Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dreg_master

Waded 10 years ago, now trying doombuilder2 some questions? please

NEWB MAP Doom

Hey Guys,
Got a bunch of Qs if any of u can help. I love Doom and recently got back into due to brutal mod. It’s a godsend for doom players. Anyway I am making wads and haven’t been able to find answers to current questions. Obviously I have checked out a lot of utube and online resources, I still have unanswered questions.

Im using
Doombuilder2 (ACS scripts) . XWE, Slade, Zandronium, Doom seeker
1. Should I be making new WADS (levels) based off the Doom ultimate (doom 1 in hexen format) or Doom2 (hexen format) – Ive notices a lot of wads on internet are DoomU wads, is there a reason for this over Doom2?
2. Can I get a HIRes pack working for me in Doom Wads (U or 2) with Brutal.pk3 (http://dhtp.freelanzer.com/). The one i tried doesnt work for zandronium. I also need a fool proof way to be able to add my own custom Textures, sounds (cause i want to dedicate a level to a friend who passed away and want to use his photo and voice)
3. Is there an easy way to Manage textures without having to bundle my level with a bunch of Wads just to work, surely it can be made one big WAD, then when I go to make a new WADs in doombuilder 2, I can select my Wad (not the doom2.wad, for example mydoom2.wad (which contains all doom1 & 2, Plutonia, TNT and custom sounds, music and textures to use as a base to make new levels)) because it will already have the combination of 4-5 texture wads? This is so confusing I hope I make sense.
4. I have good music wads, however I want to play doom 1 music in doom 2 possible? (the doom 1 MEtal music is far superior to doom 2 i think and i want to hear DoomU E01L01 while playing a Doom2 E01M01 map – Within doom2 I can skip songs idmus01 idmus02 ect, however is there a way to make a button, use the script editor in doombuilder 2 to change the music in game? So far every time I try screwing in XWE to do some of this stuff, patches ect it crashes? Ive lost a few good maps due to this.
So far im loving the map building, I just finished an awesome map, if anyone wana try it, It needs additional wad to be bundled with it called darkftex.wad. This map I made use of earthquakes, Skyboxes, Bridges, Texture Scrolling, lifts, doors, nukage, teleports and made it only possible to finish with 2 players (like forced Coop) One of the battles with a cyberdeamon happens in the skybox, lol – took me about 25 hours 
I’m really enjoying this. Thanks for any help.

Can't say I know what you mean by DoomU wads, but as for the texture question what you need to do is open your wad in SLADE(ditch XWE, you don't need it), open the resource file you want to use and copy the stuff you need into the wad. Bear in mind that if you want to use textures you need to copy the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps as well.

Obsidian said:

Can't say I know what you mean by DoomU wads,

Sry, i mean Doom 1 just ultimate.
Getting started on another idea now :)
Thanks ill try what you said.

any advise for the other stuff?
(i did just sign up to ask all this lol :P)

i just change that in my main post to doom 1 / ultimate :)

Sorry, can't help you with the textures, but about your first question, I think it's quite the opposite: if you ask me, there's a lot more wads currently being made for Doom 2 than Ultimate Doom, but it's really not that important if you make your map(s) for either of them. I think many people (including me) prefer to map for Doom 2 mainly because of a)Super Shotgun and b)more monster variety.

Now, having said that, I strongly recommend you use GZDoom Builder instead of the regular DB, and use UDMF rather than Hexen format: it's easier, and more powerful.

Good luck.

Zed said:
a)Super Shotgun and b)more monster variety.
Now, having said that, I strongly recommend you use GZDoom Builder instead of the regular DB, and use UDMF rather than Hexen format: it's easier, and more powerful.

Good luck. [/B]

Thank you, ok ill try that. Would Maps made GZDoom builder in UDMF still work with the brutal mod? (thats the kicker right there)

Last night i spent 4 Hours on a new level, was screwing around with linedefs making circles and stuff and BANG Crashed, but none of my backups opened so i lost it all. So yeah ill try GZdoom Builder. Waded crashed heaps back in the day, Doombuilder2 crashes when you try to do advanced stuff, XWE sucks. So happy i found some ppl to learn from here.

dreg_master said:

Thank you, ok ill try that. Would Maps made GZDoom builder in UDMF still work with the brutal mod? (thats the kicker right there

Not a problem at all, just keep in mind that Brutal Doom can only be played properly on GZDoom and Skulltag, so people that don't have them for whatever reason will not be able to play your work with BD. Also, consider that the gameplay differs considerably if you choose to play with that mod:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/69214-balancing-ammo-counts-between-normal-and-brutal-doom/

In short: If you choose to balance your wad for play with BD, it probably won't be that good without it, and vice versa.

And I don't recommend XWE, use Slade instead.

EDIT: I forgot to add: UDMF is only supported by a handful of source ports, so you might want to take that into consideration (maybe not an issue since you are using BD as a reference, and both GZdoom and Skulltag suport UDMF, but whatever). More info:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/UDMF

Zed said:

Also, consider that the gameplay differs considerably if you choose to play with that mod:

... Hell yeah it does. IT makes Doom beautiful again :)
Thanks for your help, ill check that out too.

Crashed a hell of alot till i configued properly.

AWESOME, for Example a linedef's options variety has imporved with options like:

Pass Use On / Repeatable Action / When projectile crosses / Switch height check / front side only \ player can use back / When monster bumps \ when mosnter walks over \ when player uses \ when player bumps \ On projectile impact \ When monster press use

Just seems to be a hell of alot more options here in map building using this. Thanks Zed

dreg_master said:

Crashed a hell of alot till i configued properly.

Any chance to get any info about those crashes and how to trigger them?

MaxED said:

Any chance to get any info about those crashes and how to trigger them?

It was when first launched. I created new WAD doom (UDMF) and clicked OK, it crashed when i havent configured the wad sources. IT ok now. So the crashed were "User Error"

By "crash", do you mean this window:

Spoiler

Or an actual program crash, which displays a message like this:
Spoiler

Problem at moment, i'm sure ill figure it out, but anyhow its this.
Sky1 to Sky3 Textures don't appear as proper sky textures, just normal tiled 128s. There is obviously more options than I'm used to in this ceiling and floor section, which is awesome!!

What am i missing here? i could make a skybox.?.?.. on second thought wouldnt work cause the sky texture in the skybox would still be tiled.

lol

.... ok
figured it out i think

I have to use the texture from Doom2.wad called F-sky1. the others wont work as proper skys (im using one additional texture wad darkftex.wad) just normal tiles (called Sky1, Sky2, Sky3). Even if i set the sector special to 200 sky2 (mapinfo)it doesn't work. So gotta use F-sky always? really?

[QUOTE]MaxED said:
[B]By "crash", do you mean this window:

Spoiler

Yes, that was it, but i think that was just ineptitude on my part?

Well, "crash" usually means "something wrong happened in the program and it cannot recover from this", while "Warnings and errors" window just shows errors and warnings in a loaded map.

Figured out the music stuff.

OK Main reason i wanted to change the music was cause i make all my maps in E01L01 whatever, so sick of same music. I even use this wad which is cool Doom2HDmusic v2.wad. But still sick of hearing the same song, i mean 24+ hours straight it gets annoying :)

Other options were Slade/XWE add own Midi. But i just want a song change. With help from this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMb9Jt2WFqI i found a way

I created a LineDef, opened the ACS Script editor and did this:

#include "zcommon.acs"

Script 1 (VOID)
{
SetMusic("d_doom",0);
}

I then made the sidedef a switch use/press, set the special to 80 Execute Script. Selected my script and it works a charm.

BTW d_doom is track 5 i think from doom2
see here http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_II_music

Now i am going to make a jukebox style thingy :)
-- also you can set the linedef to walk over and put it right under the player spawn. So as soon as they move the music changes.

Now having trouble trying to find the brightness option in gzbuilder. Usually i just clicked birghtness tool in doom builder and right click drag up and down for brightness? Can do via sector options, but prefer old way

MaxED said:

Well, "crash" usually means "something wrong happened in the program and it cannot recover from this", while "Warnings and errors" window just shows errors and warnings in a loaded map.

Ahhh yes it would show errors and warnings, but due to the amount it would then lock up freeze, non-responding ect. To answer your Question more correctly.