Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Does WinQuake run on your Windows machine?

I'd like to know if WinQuake still runs well on others' computers, so I can use it as a base for some port (if it is open source). It works on my Windows 8.1 x64 but performance is bad at even 1280*1024.

Though I haven't tested it on my current machine, I remember it running fine on my old Core 2 Duo machine. I might try it out on my current i7 machine and tell you of the results.

WinQuake v. 1.09 (provided with Steam release) runs perfectly smoothly on my machine. I tested the game in 1024x768 as it was the largest resolution the game allowed in the menu (I didn't bother with forcing resolutions via console etc.)

Computer data:

Toshiba Satellite series laptop
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 Q740 @ 1.73 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: nVidia GeForce GT 330M

EDIT:

To be precise about the "perfectly smoothly" part:

timedemo demo1 returned a value of 164 FPS on average. I don't know how the game would do in higher resolutions, but I reckon the computer would handle it as well.

It did run on my 64-bit Windows 7, but I don't know if it would lag at higher resolutions, since I only ever ran it at 640X480 resolution.

One of the issues of old Winquake that comes to mind is the color warping on Win7 which is quite annoying.

There are two software clients in active development that you might want to check out for inspiration: Qbism and Engoo. They support several modern features like colored lighting and stuff, but they may also address the performance issues when playing larger maps. Plus, I assume, their codebase is more advanced than standard Winquake's.