Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Batandy

Doom : The Golden Souls [Even More Definitive Edition Released!]

So it turns out if you don't save at all during a game, when you die everything will be reset, you lose all the things you've collected, and end up trapped behind whatever door you've previously unlocked. Bummer, man.

Wow, I'm having a lot of fun playing this... I just got lost in it for about 2 hours! Love the colors, love the Mario-esque layouts and challenges, it's brilliant. Man, it is ball-wreckingly hard even on normal though!

I love sorbetto beach especially. This is just damn fun.

Jaxxoon R said:

So it turns out if you don't save at all during a game, when you die everything will be reset, you lose all the things you've collected, and end up trapped behind whatever door you've previously unlocked. Bummer, man.

Wow, thanks, i didn't notice this thing. It's also quite hard to fix it, i hope it's not hardcoded in since i can't find any flags that makes you keep a specific inventory item after death, heh, for now, a simple fix is to enable the autosaves, this is how i tested the mod all the time, you'll not have any problem with those enabled

It wouldn't be so bad if you could at least open the doors from inside, that way you could recollect everything if you wanted to.

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/5708855 = part 1 of my playthrough, acquiring 11 Golden Souls.

I may not have played the entire thing yet, but I have just two things to say:

1- This deserves a Cacoward. This has been as fun and creatively imbued to play as Pirate Doom was.
2- I damn well better be seeing some mappers step up to contribute for that garden area!

Can't wait to play part 2 sometime soon.

First of all I have to say I am loving this so far! Definitely reminds me of Pirate Doom in the arcade-y and non-serious vibe.
However, I seem to have gotten stuck. At the map "Lucy in the sky with Coins", I only found 7 red coins out of 8. I've been circling around the map in flight mode for 20 minutes, killed all the monsters and still can't find the final red coin.
I could use some help here :)

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/5813073 = part 2 of my playthrough, acquiring the remaining 9 Golden Souls.

4 out of 5 from me.

The starting level or two could have been a bit kinder, the platforming was a bit frustrating at times and there was the odd questionable Cacolich/Revenant placement.
Otherwise, I enjoyed the heck out of this wad, and sincerely hope that community garden gets filled up with contributions! Good job Batandy, hope this wins a Cacoward in 2015.

review is posted. i like what youve done in bringing super mario 64 to doom but the combat is just soooo sloooooow. youve probably heard more than enough about that, though. looking forward to playing golden souls 2.

Nice work! I enjoyed my time with this mod. Only problem is that I found a game breaker bug in the Starry Night level which seems to crash everytime I save. Another problem was a section in the Starry Night level where I had to go down a walkway with 3 rows of cannons. Normally I could wait for the cannons to fire and slip in between rows, but the slash damage from the missiles pushes me back. Might recommend separating each row of the cannons in the next update. Other than that, good work. I wish you luck on your next mod. I bet it's going to be great.

Execution could not continue.

Unable to load shader Default:
Init Shader 'Default':
Vertex shader:
Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:2: '' : extension 'GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object' is not supported
ERROR: compilation errors. No code generated.

Fragment shader:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:2: '' : extension 'GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object' is not supported
ERROR: 0:66: 'LightBufferUBO' : syntax error parse error
ERROR: compilation errors. No code generated.

Linking:
Vertex and Fragment shader(s) were not successfully compiled before glLinkProgram() was called. Link failed.

It's not working for me, and I'm using the most recent Dev version of GZDoom. Above is the error message I'm receiving,

*Explosion sound, Revenants Dancing*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbURQrXpmSw

Golden Souls Full 1.2 "Definitive Edition"

-Optimized PK3
-Better aircontrol
-Plants have less health
-Weapons switch faster
-Unique Red Coin sound
-Fixed Icon of Sin bugs
-Fixed being able to detonate space mines with the Cannon

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/osfqbszx1ruq56w/GoldenSouls_Full_1.2.pk3

I have one minor complaint. I can't find the last red coin in Lucy in the sky! I love this to death but that one coin is driving me mad. Please make it easier to find or tell me where it is, in a spoiler of course because I don't want to ruin other's fun

EDIT: NVM I'll open it in DB to find it

EDIT2: Got it! That's a pretty hidden spot though

I saw some glitch when the bookshelf wall turning in the Ghost House level after I pressed the eye button. I don't know is that a glitch or my setting need to be changed.

PS I am using GZDoom latest version to play this mod.

Uh, could you explain it better? I've just tested it and the bookshelf wall displays correctly to me

uv84m5H.png

Initially just a minor hotfix to add full compatibility to Gzdoom 3.0, this update is now a full fledged weapon balance patch that smooths out the gameplay of the mod radically!

Full Version 1.4
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n0ndh842d761a3y/GoldenSouls_Full_1.4.pk3

Doom: The Golden Souls 1.4 "Even More Definitive Edition"
-Gzdoom 3.0 compatibility fixes (Hud not displaying correctly)
-Fixed Missing Music
-Added Title Screen Music (Kept you waiting huh?)

Maps:

-MAP06 - Daring Desert
*Removed Blot in quicksand (replaced with a medkit)

-MAP13 - Lucy In The Sky With Coins
*Changed a red coin spot (Yeah i'm talking about THAT red coin)

Weapons:

-Buffed Fist

*Faster punch, same damage as before.
-Buffed Revolver

*Raised Damage from 9 to 11

-Buffed Over and Under Shotgun

*Slightly slower rate of fire
*Faster Reload

*Improved animation

-Buffed Autoshotgun

*Faster Reload

-Buffed Cannon

*Direct hit damage raised from 20 to 22

*Rockets now gradually gain extra speed

-Buffed Spikegun

*Faster rate of fire

Thank you for changing the location of that coin in MAP13, that was the worst thing ever. :D

(This mod is still wonderful though.)

26 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Thank you for changing the location of that coin in MAP13, that was the worst thing ever. :D

(This mod is still wonderful though.)

Yeah it had to be done, i don't know why i didn't change it (and that can be said for tons of stuff).

If i wasn't working on the sequel i'd totally redo some stuff from the ground up, maybe in the future...

I wanted to play this on the latest GZdoom 3.1.0 x64 with the new 32-bit true color software rendering mode to appreciate its bright, cheery world more but it crashes to desktop way too often in that mode.  I even tried the latest gzdoom developer's builds as recommended by the author.  Same result.  I'm using the latest Even More Definitive Edition 1.4.  Otherwise it's a very unique, unusual and compelling wad. 

Really cool mod. Super enjoying it until the first boss, when my frame rate dropped to 0.5 fps and I kept dying from falling off the platform.

No idea why this is giving me a hard time. It seems like the boss's projectiles are causing the game to chug, but I can't seem to get the game to low enough settings to keep the frame rate consistent.

On top of that, I got through the entirety of Brutal Doom Hell on Earth Starter Pack without a single frame drop. Even the endboss. So I don't have the faintest idea why such a simple boss is causing such BRUTAL chug. Is this his special attack?

On 10/26/2014 at 11:45 AM, Batandy said:

0f7b2655f8.jpg
full : http://puu.sh/cr9YV/49ec1d5206.png
Next map, the Astral Temple! This time it's a red coins map!

I know this awesome mod is a few years old, but what happened to that map anyway? I mean I've 100% the mod (version 1.4), and it was no where to been seen. Even warped to MAP 20 via the console. It's stilled called "Astral Temple" but the level is Gotcha from Doom 2.

2 hours ago, Remul said:

I know this awesome mod is a few years old, but what happened to that map anyway? I mean I've 100% the mod (version 1.4), and it was no where to been seen. Even warped to MAP 20 via the console. It's stilled called "Astral Temple" but the level is Gotcha from Doom 2.

Ohhh I didn't realise there were more screenshots of this level, I might actually implement it in a fan mod for Golden Souls.

18 hours ago, Remul said:

I think I've watched enough Youtube to know who you are then :P

I got stuck on golden souls after playing coop for two levels with my friend.

Each one of us took 1 golden soul from each level.

When we arrived back to the hub, the main door required 2 golden souls. 😢

1 hour ago, Demon_XIV said:

I got stuck on golden souls after playing coop for two levels with my friend.

Each one of us took 1 golden soul from each level.

When we arrived back to the hub, the main door required 2 golden souls. 😢

There's already a Remaster of Golden souls I'd reccomend just trying that

On 11/10/2021 at 11:25 PM, Mr Masker said:

There's already a Remaster of Golden souls I'd reccomend just trying that

In both cases, Remaster or not, Golden Souls is not compatible with multiplayer so if it even runs at all there will be game breaking bugs like that

27 minutes ago, Batandy said:

In both cases, Remaster or not, Golden Souls is not compatible with multiplayer so if it even runs at all there will be game breaking bugs like that

my apologies, I didn't completely process that he was talking about Multiplayer

Can't wait to play this mod!!! So many good memories! Thank you so much @Batandy!!!

But as soon as people mentioned multiplayer and particularly co-op earlier: are you planning on making any of Golden Souls actually playable in co-op mode, sometime in future, maybe? I think that would be just awesome!.. (seems like there is demand also ;) Although I understand that adding multiplayer, especially to the mod that is so complex, might be tricky...