Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Aebeatia Sookies

Modifications to change or remove green lighting from a standard radiation suit?

Hello everyone.

You helped me out a long while updating all of my zdoom components and now i've had hundreds of hours of doom fun.

But I use doom builder to change maps into one way time crisis maps by making all the ground toxic and using radiation suits as checkpoint timers.

I really want to play these maps without the green lighting that comes with the suits.

I've done a quick search but I haven't found any direct modifications to the HUD or green lighting effect of the standard radiation suit.

Can anybody help by pointing me in the direction of a mod or telling me how I can remove the green lighting effect of a radiation suit?

If it's ZDoom (and derived ports), you can probably replace the Decorate for the Radsuit to give the PowerMask powerup type instead of IronFeet.

If it's a vanilla map, you can edit the PLAYPAL with slade so that the last palette is the same as the first. This won't work in ZDoom or GL ports though.

I don't know if there's a way to make GL ports [that don't support ZDoom's DECORATE] not coloured, there might be.

plums said:

If it's ZDoom (and derived ports), you can probably replace the Decorate for the Radsuit to give the PowerMask powerup type instead of IronFeet.

Yes, this is your way to go if you use ZDoom. And here is an exact guide how to do it:

Actor RadsuitNocolor : RadSuit replaces RadSuit {
  Powerup.Type "Mask"
}
Put this code into a DECORATE lump in your wad (I assume you can use SLADE3 for wad content editing), and that's it.

The "Mask" powerup type has a slightly longer duration than vanilla radsuits, though. (80 seconds instead of 60.)

So something you can do is this:

Actor PowerRadSuit : PowerIronFeet { Powerup.Color 0, 0, 0, 0 }
Actor RadsuitNocolor : RadSuit replaces RadSuit { Powerup.Type "RadSuit" }
It'll work in GZDoom too, so that's at least one GL port where it works.

(It should also work in Vavoom, now that I think about it.)

Thanks for the replies, however my knowledge is slade3 is very limited as i've always used doom builder 2 and .pk3s for my alterations.

However i've given it a go, and although i've found the text file for zdoom decorate scripts, copying and pasting those scripts didn't work.

I'm going to have to look at some tutorials to understand exactly where to put the code and how I should enter it.

If you do know of anything radiation suit mods that do work as downloadable .wads or .pk3s i'd appreciate it.

Aebeatia Sookies said:

Thanks for the replies, however my knowledge is slade3 is very limited as i've always used doom builder 2 and .pk3s for my alterations.

Simply create a text file called DECORATE.txt. Put Gez's code into the file, save it, and then put the file into your .pk3.

You can also just drag n' drop the DECORATE.txt onto zdoom.exe (or whatever port you're using) along with the wad, if you want to keep it simple for now.