Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikeo007

Other games with strong mapping community?

Recommended Posts

It seems that the Doom mapping community is really strong, possibly the strongest of any single player game out there. There are new maps coming out every week.

Are there any other games with this kind of community? There are lots of multiplayer mappers for games like Counter-Strike, but very little out there for SP maps. I know the old Quake games used to have tons of mappers, but they seem to have dropped off, same with Half Life.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think there's any that's as big as Doom's. Aside from the previously mentioned, I know Quake I is still somewhat alive and there are enough Super Metroid romhackers to have a community, if a close-knit one.

Share this post


Link to post
ETTiNGRiNDER said:

and there are enough Super Metroid romhackers to have a community, if a close-knit one.


That's true.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:


Doh, dunno how I missed that one. Folks in that thread seem to be rhyming off games with big back catalogues though, not so much active ones (with the obvious exceptions already mentioned in this thread).

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I don't think there's any that's as big as Doom's. Aside from the previously mentioned, I know Quake I is still somewhat alive and there are enough Super Metroid romhackers to have a community, if a close-knit one.


Quake's an interesting one that I haven't really thought of. I completely skipped it back in the day for mapping, and jumped right into Quake 2. http://quakeone.com/ the most active discussion on mapping for that game?

Share this post


Link to post

Left4Dead2 is pretty active with its addons and custom materials. its fun to refresh the game with diffrent skins and weapons or even longer campaign.

Share this post


Link to post

From what I've seen (which is not much, honestly) I would say Minecraft, it's the only one that comes close to the Doom community (maybe even surpases us?). Maybe even the folks that use the Unreal engine, I've seen a lot of mods for that.

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't someone ask this question 2 or so months ago?

TF2
Duke 3D
Quake
Any Source game

Any old game with easy mapping utilities

Share this post


Link to post
Zed said:

From what I've seen (which is not much, honestly) I would say Minecraft, it's the only one that comes close to the Doom community (maybe even surpases us?). Maybe even the folks that use the Unreal engine, I've seen a lot of mods for that.


I'm not sure if I'd even count minecraft. It's not so much mapping as it is building with legos. The game is fun, but when it comes to building specific layouts, using cubes is just to rigid to have any sort of real detail.

The original unreal and unreal tournament were quite big until recently. Now with Gamespy being shut down, they've pretty much died down.

Share this post


Link to post
mikeo007 said:

I'm not sure if I'd even count minecraft. It's not so much mapping as it is building with legos. The game is fun, but when it comes to building specific layouts, using cubes is just to rigid to have any sort of real detail.


Funny that you say that, my roommate is an avid Minecrafter and he mentioned recently that he wished it had the flexibility of Doom, in particular being able to use switches or walkover triggers to create transformations.

Share this post


Link to post
geo said:

TF2
Duke 3D
Quake
Any Source game


Isn't TF2 a Source game, though?

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

Funny that you say that, my roommate is an avid Minecrafter and he mentioned recently that he wished it had the flexibility of Doom, in particular being able to use switches or walkover triggers to create transformations.


Thinking a little more about this, and I think I've said this before, it's unlikely Doom, Quake, Duke, etc., will be surpased anytime soon, mainly because:

-Time. In the case of those three I mentioned, the communities have been developing for several years, something obviously not possible with newer titles. Let's see how "new" communities look like in 20 years.
-Simplicity. Probably the most important. As GoatLord mentioned, this, compared with flexibility is key to Doom's or Quake's success. Creating content is incredibly simple if you compare them to modern engines. I remember some time ago trying to make a map for Unreal Tournament. Just making one room took me, literally, hours, and to this day I'm not even sure how I did it. Needless to say, I have never had this problem with Doom (at least not to that extent).

Share this post


Link to post
mikeo007 said:

I'm not sure if I'd even count minecraft. It's not so much mapping as it is building with legos. The game is fun, but when it comes to building specific layouts, using cubes is just to rigid to have any sort of real detail.

lol at a Doom fan saying that Minecraft is too low-fidelity to really count as mapping.

Share this post


Link to post
Linguica said:

lol at a Doom fan saying that Minecraft is too low-fidelity to really count as mapping.


Heh...speaking more about the fact that everything is a square...not much flexibility there. Don't even think about creating a room that doesn't have 2 sets of parallel walls haha.

Share this post


Link to post
mikeo007 said:

Heh...speaking more about the fact that everything is a square...not much flexibility there. Don't even think about creating a room that doesn't have 2 sets of parallel walls haha.

You'd be surprised with what can/has been done with 'just' squares.

Share this post


Link to post
Tuxlar said:

You'd be surprised with what can/has been done with 'just' squares.


True dat. FoF are so much easier to make when you're working with additive parts rather than subtractive ones. :P

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×