Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Some editing softwares besides SLADE

I recently installed SLADE on my Laptop to help me make better wads. But when I tried to launch it, I got an error message saying "The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll'"
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Thanks!

What operating system are you using? If Windows XP, do you have Service Pack 3 installed?

Zulk-RS said:

I recently installed SLADE on my Laptop to help me make better wads. But when I tried to launch it, I got an error message saying "The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll'"
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Thanks!

Make sure you have servicepack 3 if you are on windows xp.
This is not a bug or problem in slade, but your version of the windows kernel32.dll does not contain a function needed by slade.
Whenever i had this on XP it usualy meant i forgot to install service pack 3.

EXPRESSIVE NOTE ;
NEVER REPLACE KERNEL32 MANUALLY IT WILL BREAK YOUR WINDOWS.

Installing Service Pack 3 is not really an option for me right now. Is there any other software I can use to put Realm667 stuff in my wads other than SLADE?

Zulk-RS said:

Is there any other software I can use to put Realm667 stuff in my wads other than SLADE?

You could try XWE (download from Mirror 2) which runs cheerfully on Win XP, but be sure to backup the files you're working on and set your IWADs to read-only.

GrayGhost said: You could try XWE...

Okay. I will! In the meantime, what other software is there besides SLADE and XWE?

You can try an old devbuild of SLADE 3. I haven't uploaded any new build in a while so they're all a bit old now and they have some bugs that have been fixed since; but they aren't compiled with the same compiler as the official build and they should work with older platforms.

Zulk-RS said:

Installing Service Pack 3 is not really an option for me right now.

Um...why not?

IMO you need to upgrade to SP3 as soon as possible, or better yet, stop using XP and install 7, 8.1, or a variation of Linux. You do know what Microsoft no longer supports XP right?

Yes, I'm being hypocritical by typing this on a computer with XP SP3 installed on it.

Zulk-RS said:

In the meantime, what other software is there besides SLADE and XWE?

There's SlumpEd, which hasn't been updated for ages, or WinTex, for which you'll need a couple of ancient DLLs to get it working properly.

Danfun64 Said: Um... Why not?

Sorry, but I don't want discuss this issue.

Zulk-RS said:

Danfun64 Said: Um... Why not?

Sorry, but I don't want discuss this issue.

Ah, so you're probably doing something you shouldn't be and making your computer less secure at the same time.

Anyway, if the proposed solutions don't interest you then why not go all the way down the rabbit hole and try this guy's workaround? If you try this then let us know what horrible things happen. I wouldn't try it on any Windows install that I haven't condemned to the experimentation pile.

Slade seems to be the only up to date tool available, but you could browse all the old ones trough doomworld its listing ; http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/utils/editors.php

Danfun64 said:

stop using XP and install 7, 8.1, or a variation of Linux. You do know what Microsoft no longer supports XP right?

Yes, I'm being hypocritical by typing this on a computer with XP SP3 installed on it.

For an old computer you frankly should not give a damn, a working up to date anti-virus and the last XP updates ever made and absolutely no need to get paranoid because ; 'omg no updates.' A lot of people wouldnt even have updated their XP while they still could get them. XP is optimized for, and runs a lot better then the newer windows on OLD COMPUTERS their technology (2001 to 2009).
just make sure you have an updating anti-virus and the firewall.

now, for newer and modern computers you seriously should drop XP, it would even run a lot worse than newer versions.

AzaryDoom2020 said:

I hope next version will fix the kernel32.dll soon...

There's nothing too fix. The issue stands that said kernel is ridiculously out of date, and the end user needs to update their system. Besides, if you have XP, you should already have Service Pack 3 for sanity reasons. That really isn't the developer's problem.

So far everyone who couldn't run the official build solved their issue by running a dev build.