Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Doomworld hosted sites

I know this is kind of a long shot, but I was curious if there's any chance that the hosted sites here could soon be substituted with new sites for highly-anticipated projects? I don't really have any suggestions, but I think it would be neat if some projects had their own hosted site to post screenshots, information, and news regarding the project. If not, what would be convincing enough to change your mind? Maybe charge a fee to the project starter or something? Or provide credentials for valuable html coding experience?

I understand there's a bit of valuable history there, but is it worth preserving their links on the front page of the site? Some of the last updates even announce that almost no progress has been made (for over 10 years now) or that they're canning the project or whatever. It doesn't really represent how well the community has been thriving these days :/

Even though these are a bit past their prime, I think it might be worth linking the Tango TV archive on the front page, or even the first DTWiD website ellmo made to represent some of the stuff that's been going on lately, to perhaps encourage people to do something similar.

I was thinking just the other day, it would at least be nice to have links to all and any source ports / other Doom related material as opposed to sites last updated in 2001. I'm willing to bet 99.9% of DW users have pretty much subconsciously blocked everything other than newstuff reviews from their minds when they log in, since most of it is irrelevant or stagnant.

Would be nice to see this changed, could further push Doomworld as THE central hub for all things Doom - no one is left out, and you could get to any Doom page from here. I hope the site admins think this is worth updating.

Edit: Whew, just went through and checked every hosted site. We've got Skulltag circa 2004, Mockery circa 1998 (!) and it looks like the most recent update was Mordeth in 2010. Wow, Skulltag isn't the 2nd 'newest' page on that list, I think!

I agree the hosted sites could do with being updated or if there is no interest in doing so possibly removed. I have just ignored it for the last 10 years but it could be confusing or misrepresentative for people new to the site.

There are an aproximate of four broken sites with errors everywhere which you can acces trough the dropdownlist on the main page.

40oz said:

I know this is kind of a long shot, but I was curious if there's any chance that the hosted sites here could soon be substituted with new sites for highly-anticipated projects?

It wouldn't hurt to ask an admin, though until a formal proposal is submitted (probably accompanied by a preview of the website) I wouldn't expect more than in-principle agreement.

Perhaps archive the oldest hosted under "Archived hosted sites" ?

Glaice said:

Perhaps archive the oldest hosted under "Archived hosted sites" ?

I'm not sure how much space is an issue, but if it is, I don't think there'd be much harm in simply deleting the old pages (and maybe have a trusted and accessible regular to hold their own offline backup). For the most part, I'd bet they're already safe on the Wayback Machine.

I agree.

I asked about being hosted here on DW some time ago, without any response. It was for a project due for release soon.

[Bump]

I disagree completely.

To understand, WHAT Doom really is and where the doom community came from, the historic context -and that means all the old websites, too-, is most important. Please don't forget, Doom is 20 years old and has a long history. I agree to mark some of the pages as "outdated" or "not updated sice...", but don't delete anything.

Please remember, this is not any newbie-flash-browser-game. We are talking about the goddam mother of every fps, we are talking about D_O_O_M!

The idea to start hosting new pages sounds nice to me, if the disc space is not a problem. As for the old pages, I'd just move them into some sort of legacy category. Again, if the disk space is not a problem.

Just recently I've read Strain's backstory from the site hosted on Doomworld (I don't think it's featured in the list). It still has illustrations.