Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

portability...

As far as I know, of all the modern source ports, chocolate doom, prboom(-plus) and odamex are the most easily ported.

I'm curious as to systems which one of these ports supports, and the other doesn't.

Can anybody list systems, architextures, and operating systems known only to work with chocolate doom, known only to work with prboom, known only to work with prboom-plus, known and only to work on odamex?

edit: better detail

@Zed: Nice link, though is it up to date?

@Fabian: That tells me nothing. All I see is that most of them support win, mac, and linux.

Besides, it doesn't talk about homebrew on video game consoles (odamex on xbox, prboom via dsdoom on ds) or android systems. Besides I want info specifically about those ports, listed by supported architexture. x86, x86-64, arm, mips, powerpc.

Danfun64 said:

Besides, it doesn't talk about homebrew on video game consoles (odamex on xbox, prboom via dsdoom on ds) or android systems. Besides I want info specifically about those ports, listed by supported architexture. x86, x86-64, arm, mips, powerpc.

Most ports are coded in plain C using SDL or a similar framwork for accessing the hardwsre. Once you got your code sorted with regard to e.g. size of long/pointer, endianess and char signedness, porting from one Platform to another should soon become a matter of a simple recompilation.

Danfun64 said:

@Zed: Nice link, though is it up to date?

Well, the last update was on april of this year, so I guess it is.

One thing I've learned over time is that portability is harder than most people assume. Certainly restricting yourself to pure C and portable libraries like SDL gets you 90% of the way there. But that just lets you run the program on lots of platforms. Full portability is more than just running on lots of different CPUs and operating systems: not every computer is a desktop machine with a keyboard and mouse. Actually, Chocolate Doom and PrBoom[+] arguably have some pretty big holes in their portability just due to the fact that they don't run out of the box on the touch screen / tablet devices that have become popular in the last few years. People have done Android/iOS ports of course, but we really ought to be integrating that work into the standard codebases.