Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Top-down isometric games for PC.

So I was wondering what other good ones there are out there, I've only played Sim City 2000, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Diablo 2 and Zax: The Alien Hunter in that order, any recommendations on others?

Sim City 2000, Syndicate, Genesia/Ultimate Domain, Mystic Towers...

Well, there's always the Age of Empires series - I don't even really care for RTS games as a genre, but I'll always have a place in my heart of Age of Empires. Torchlight's a good modern Diablo clone if you're more interested in that type of game, though.

Gez said:

Sim City 2000, Syndicate, Genesia/Ultimate Domain, Mystic Towers...

Ah yes Sim City 2000, I forgot about that one and yes I have played it but those others you mentioned sound interesting.

geekmarine said:

Well, there's always the Age of Empires series - I don't even really care for RTS games as a genre, but I'll always have a place in my heart of Age of Empires. Torchlight's a good modern Diablo clone if you're more interested in that type of game, though.

It seems like there are quite a few AoE games, could you perhaps recommend which one of them is the better?

Avoozl said:

It seems like there are quite a few AoE games, could you perhaps recommend which one of them is the better?

IIRC the first one dealt with ancient times, while the second was more medieval focused.

The first and second AoE games are the best, in my opinion (as well as their expansions). AoE III got a little too complex for my liking, and I never even played Age of Mythology. Really, I think the original will always be my favorite, but it might be harder to track down and I don't know how it will run on modern computers. However, Age of Kings is really solid, too, and even though I prefer the first from an aesthetic standpoint, I think AoE II has better management features (the ability to automatically regrow farms is a Godsend, among other things). Plus, you can pick up Age of Kings on Steam, remastered for modern PCs, for pretty cheap if you're willing to wait for a Steam sale.

Age of Empires series is pretty solid. 1 & 2 + expansions are good, never gotten AoE III, but buddy says it doesn't hold candle to aforementioned.

AoE I works surprisingly well in Win7, too. Only problem is the graphical errors, which can be fixed by killing explorer.exe (don't remember why it was so.) This also applies to AoE II.

Only major gripe in AoE I is the AI pathfinding, which is just completely bonkers. The maps itself are more interesting than those in AoE II.

AoE II makes the pathfinding lightyears better, plus the unit management system.

And Jagged Alliance 2, and patch/mod it to 1.13. Now, I don't guarantee it, but it is something you don't regret.

And you might wanna consider Battle Isle - series, too.

Oddly enough, just mentioned waiting for a Steam sale, and lo and behold, Age of Empires II HD is on sale for $5 on Steam.

Oh man there are so many good ones.

Baldur's Gate 1&2
Fallout 1&2
Ice Wind Dale 1&2
Planescape Torment
Ultima 8
Civilization 3(sort of)
Warcraft 3
Starcraft
etc

Crusader series
Syndicate (and Syndicate Wars in a way)
Transport Tycoon
Mystic Towers

I would recommend Postal 1 if it had better controls. It kinda sucks that the game was clearly designed like Robotron/Smash TV (and Vince Desi even named the former as an inspiration), yet it has tank controls. I really wish RWS would implement twin-stick style controls or at least follow through with their promise to eventually release the source code so someone else can do it if they won't.

The combat is quick, visceral and brutal with little room for error (especially on the higher difficulties). You really have to watch for ambushes from all corners. I kinda like the more serious, dark and desperate tone the first game has as well as the gameplay mechanics reflecting that. I feel it's a much more honest take on what the Postal Dude is really doing. Postal 2 has far less consequences and is really more like a cartoon.

Xcom! Original or reboot, they're both pretty stellar (in different ways).

If you decide to go with the older one, check out OpenXcom for modern machines, ui tweaks and mod options.

+1 for Postal. I had so much fun with it back in the day.

Sodaholic said:

I would recommend Postal 1 if it had better controls. It kinda sucks that the game was clearly designed like Robotron/Smash TV (and Vince Desi even named the former as an inspiration), yet it has tank controls.

The controls are changeable. Even the re-release of the game made fun of the default controls before telling you how to change them.

Bastion
Crusader series
X-Com
Xenonauts
Syndicate
Divinity series.
Diablo 1 and 2

Captain Red said:

Xcom! Original or reboot, they're both pretty stellar (in different ways).

If you decide to go with the older one, check out OpenXcom for modern machines, ui tweaks and mod options.

Or just check out Xenonauts which is a spiritual sequel.