Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireFish

Vanilla for breakfast.

Vanilla for breakfast ;
This is a short vanilla map i initialy did not intend to become a release, but why the heck not.
It is not meant to be ground breaking or impressive, it was a personal concept for my own mind... i know it sounds odd.
If you are interested in the personal story for myself behind this map then read the blog about it which i made before i finished.

Rushing trough it while killing everything ends up on an aproximate 3 minutes, but im not a speedrunner or fast player anyways.

tested on ;
-> Dos doom2.exe 1.9
-> chocolate doom
-> Prboom+

IWAD needed ;
-> Doom2

Difficulty ;
-> UV will present a few more monsters.
-> it is easy to 100% everything.

Link to the RAW wad, i did not zip it because of its small size ,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4j48ceapwc02b8/vfb.wad?dl=0

Small bugs which i will not fix and are not gameplay breaking ;
- at the begining the hole in the ground could show an ulra thin slimetrail which is near impossible to lock on so its barely seen.
- in the HUB circle there could be a possible verry small HOM somewhere, why i do not know... it is barely disturbing so easy to run by.
I might just be staring blind at the simplest thing atm...

OVERLY easy and simple gameplay, but well, I understand. At least you could lower-unpeg sides of doors, and not upper-unpeg the secret door (!). A missing lower texture is causing HOM on a green floor in the entrance to the baron's room. Mainly, this map could have worked far better with a moody music, instead of D_RUNNIN.

Also, you're right - this is surrealism, and while it's not as top-impressive as Doom engine allows, it's a well made surrealism. :)

I might make a map02 for this but i am not certain, if i do i will fix the absolutely minor bugs.
At least it is playable for having been a pure concept for myself.

scifista42 said:

Also, you're right - this is surrealism, and while it's not as top-impressive as Doom engine allows, it's a well made surrealism. :)

This compliment is apreciated. :)

scifista42 said:

At least you could lower-unpeg sides of doors, and not upper-unpeg the secret door (!). A missing lower texture is causing HOM on a green floor in the entrance to the baron's room. Mainly.

Edit ;
I am going to make a follow up map and will update in this thread when done.
the apearantly barely distrubing HOM is based on something a overlooked beyond reason, i will fix that.
Also, in Dos Doom and chocolate the balconies tot the sky render differently than in Prboom+.

Edited :
Thanks for the DFA !
-> i have noticed a few door side textures that where not aligned now, and the baclonies maybe ?
-> Smiled at the ending. :)

I decided to add a map2 and will do ;
-> fix a few small things in map01.
-> make a bigger map, with more to do fo 2.
-> further build upon the initial idea that i wanted to hold for me...

This looks cool Firefish, once at my PC I'll give some feedback. I love oldschool style maps :)

So here I am in my ungodly stupor, going to work at herp derp in the morning when I fire up this little gem.

What can I say? I played it whilst having breakfast, managed to drain it before I drained my coffee and I feel much better for the experience.

Good solid map.

(Wish I could map, hah, tried to learn and things like mis aligned textures and not being able to quite make things the right size to fix em drove me over the edge.)