Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Netherstorm

Creepypasta: joseph.wad

Back in 2009 I was browsing a website that hosts all kinds of Doom wads made by random people, there were at least over 2,000 wads on there. I was pretty bored and wanted something fun to play, so in the search bar I typed in random words that popped into my head such as "cake", "pizza", "bicycle"; hoping one wad would come up. Some did, I tried them out, and they were nothing but stupid custom enemy wads. As I was just about to give up I typed in one last word, a name I would rather have than my own, "joseph". To my surprise, one wad popped up exactly entitled "joseph.wad". Looking like a pretty big wad, reaching over 8 MB; I loaded it into my ZDoom source port. Once it loaded, the usual "Doom II" title screen popped up, but there wasn't any title screen music, just silence. I thought nothing of it and wanted to get straight to the game-play itself, and so I did.

I was put into an almost pitch black room leading to a long hallway. Nothing was in my inventory, no weapons, no keys, nothing. Before me was an extremely bright sector with a red particle fountain rising out of the ground; it was the only thing that was bright in this area, everything else was dark. Looking to the walls, they had the blood waterfall texture; the ground was a blood texture too, the ceiling red. No music was playing either, just like the title screen; dead silence. I opened up the map overview by pressing my 'tab' key, suddenly noticing the strange map name: "leave now, please". I started to feel kind of uncomfortable, like I shouldn't be playing this; but I kept on.

At the very end of this long hallway, I could faintly see this flickering bright light. Curious, I proceeded to run forward. I kept running through the hallway, it was very slim making my way through. A minute passed and I finally made it to the end, but all of the sudden, my character froze in place. Before me was a translucent marine facing back words, with a dead body behind the marine. Does this represent that the marine killed the other one. Probably, who can say. What was even more strange was the music that started to play in the background; I started to get chills up my spine, this is not good. the sound playing in the background, it's sort of like if a microphone with very low quality was recording a radio of some sort; but it sounded so...eerie, it's all but pleasant sounding. ...Then it stopped, the marine moved from it's frozen state and started to walk around the small area. The marine then started to charge it's BFG9000 equipped, and shot it at me. The loudest, ear piercing scream blasted through my speakers as my character fell to the floor and died. I jumped out of my chair and cursed several times, frightened by the sound. My body was shaking and it took me quite a while to calm myself. As I looked back at my monitor I saw that a message had popped up.

"the world is gone" it read.

I scratched my head, there is definitely something not right with this wad between what happened just before, and this message before.

the world is gone?

I pressed space to move onto the next map, surprised at there being another one. What I was put into was a big, wide open area submerged in fog. The sky-box seemed to be a custom texture, I could recognize it being the sky in Netherstorm from 'World of Warcraft'; it seemed to me the creator of this strange wad was a fan of 'World of Warcraft' such as myself, which makes it all the more coincidental I would say, as our tastes in games are alike. Again, as before, I had nothing in my inventory; no weapons, nothing. At the very end of this spacious area, I could see a very dark lighted sector; I honestly couldn't tell what it could be from all the way here. Other than that, I couldn't see anything else but the fog, the sky and the mysterious little area at the end. I pressed the 'tab' key to open up my map overview, and the map's name was also quite strange, but not as strange as before: "field of sanctuary".

I proceeded to move forward. This was a pretty big area to be moving through, and I prayed that nothing else frightening would happen next as I moved through. All of the sudden I started to hear sounds in the background, what it sounded like was...a muffling sound. It started to get much eerie when the sounds started to make a chilling "aaaaaaaaaaaahhh" noise; it made me shiver. As I kept moving forward, tree's started to appear out of the fog, trying to stop me in my path. The mysterious dark lighted area at the end started to be closer and closer as I kept on. Nothing happened as I kept moving to the end, occasionally tree's would reveal themselves out of the fog, but nothing else.

Finally, after a minute and a half of walking, I made it to the mysterious area. What was before me were a few steps leading to a platform, with a big tree on one side of it and a small tree on the other. In the middle was a translucent marine standing, facing right at me. I proceeded to move up the steps and onto the platform, when all of the sudden, I froze in place; the marine started to talk to me.

"Hey, you made it here. I thought I was the only one" the marine said,

"can you hear that. that's the sound of the spirits", I suppose he was referring to the eerie, muffled sounds in the background,

"you get used to it", the marine then said,

"where are we? we are in the spirit realm.",

"you thought the spirit realm was on earth?" ,

"only a few can stay on earth, by a few I mean millions.",

"heaven still exists, so does hell",

"but for some reason, the dead can't get sent to either of those places",

"thus, they get stuck in the spirit realm, oblivious to what happened",

It came to me the area I was in was the spirit realm, thus why it's called field of sanctuary. I never thought of the afterlife like how this marine was explaining to me, but it's all the while fascinating.

"keep in mind that some spirits are aware, but some are not",

"...",

"how did I die, you say?",

"anger, mistrust, and hatred led me to death",

The marine all of the sudden started spewing gibberish.

"I fell to the spirits",

"I fell to the spirits",

"and now you know what it feels like".

My screen then faded to white, and I couldn't do anything. The wad was finished, and it ended on a uncomfortable note. Who made this wad? What do these things mean? Those answers were all revealed to me when I looked into the folder the wad came in. There was another file titled "pleaseread", it was a text file. I proceeded to open it, and this is what it read:

"my name is joseph, I am 33 years old and currently living all by myself.

the reason why i made this wad is to warn people that spirits are everywhere, choose to believe in it or not I don't care, they're everywhere.

my fascination with ghosts was sky high, much more than my faith in god.

death can come without no warning, i'm sure all of you know that.

but don't think you're going to heaven or hell, because sometimes that may not happen.

I believe that there's hell, then earth, then heaven, but right in the middle there is the spirit realm.

sometimes, spirits get casted into there for no reason, not under satan's or god's command.

for a while, spirits would talk to me through a ghost box I owned, they would tell me good things about the spirit realm, it seems to be very peaceful.

spirits are just like us, only we can't see them, but they can see us.

i put a few audio files of my recordings of spirits into the wad, just to let you know.

the reason why I chose doom to express this message is because doom has a lot of features to explore, especially with this new doom builder editor that came out recently.

in a couple of days, I will commit suicide, no one will ever know. it may appear on the news, it may not.

my soul will reside in the spirit realm, where I will be forever happy.

and hey, maybe i'll see you there?

thanks for reading.

- joseph. k"

---

I didn't feel so well after playing that strange wad, and reading that text file. I guess the creator of that wad killed himself, his dream was to be with the spirits I suppose? How does he know so well of the afterlife?...is it truth...or fantasy.

I looked deeper into the wad itself by opening it in a editing software. What I found was the audio files that the creator spoke of, and a mysterious picture of a neighbourhood. Could this be the neighbourhood of where the creator resided?...who can say.

I couldn't sleep for the next few nights after, I had vivid dreams of being in the spirit realm, just sitting down looking above at the sky, with the sounds of the spirits travelling around my ears.

---

Now it's present day, and by telling you all of this I will now link you people the wad itself.

Please, be cautious before playing it, I haven't touched this damned wad since 2009 so please be careful.

Thanks, take care.

link: mediafire.com/download/dleduy59buw9o89/joseph.zip

but there wasn't any title screen music, just silence. I thought nothing of it and wanted to get straight to the gameplay itself, and so I did.

I was put into an almost pitch black room

suddenly noticing the strange map name: "leave now, please". I started to feel kind of uncomfortable, like I shouldn't be playing this; but I kept on.

Curious, I proceeded to run forward

but all of the sudden, my chatacter froze in place. Before me was a transclulent marine facing backwords

What was even more strange was the music that started to play in the background; I started to get chills up my spine, this is not good. I can't really describe the sound playing in the background, it's sort of like if a microphone with very low quality was recording a radio of some sort; but it sounded so...eerie, it's all but pleasant sounding. ...Then it stopped, the marine moved from it's frozen state and started to walk around the small area. The marine then started to charge it's BFG9000 equiped, and shot it at me. The loudest, ear piercing scream blasted through my speakers as my character fell to the floor and died. I jumped out of my chair and cursed several times, frightened by the sound. My body was shaking and it took me quite a while to clam myself. As I looked back at my monitor I saw that a message had popped up.

"the world is gone" it read.

All of the sudden I started to hear sounds in the background, what it sounded like was...a muffling sound. I can't describe it too well, but it started to get much eerie when the sounds started to make a "aaaaaaaaaaaahhh" noise; it made me shiver

My screen then faded to white, and I couldn't do anything. The wad was finished, and it ended on a uncomfortable note. Who made this wad? What do these things mean? Those answers were all revealed to me when I looked into the folder the wad came in. There was another file titled "pleaseread", it was a text file.

I didn't feel so well after

and a mysterious picture of a

Hmm, where have I heard this before...

You may want to double check the text you have written; "clam" and "facinating" are a couple of spelling mistakes that I have found. Also, in some areas there are capitalisation mistakes and a couple of sentences that don't make sense and these do prevent some people from reading further.

Onto the story itself;

Spoiler

it seems a bit to generic but I personally think it is a bit difficult to try and pull off a scary story that has someone playing a wad. That "lost wad" for example didn't pull it off brilliantly either. I do however like the build up but I found the final result a little disappointing. Not to mention that I couldn't take the video too seriously with the "Oh yeah, Mr Krabs" scream randomly pasted in, it elicited a hearty chuckle more than anything. It's really not for me, I am afraid but I can see that you did try.

Springy said:

You may want to double check the text you have written; "clam" and "facinating" are a couple of spelling mistakes that I have found. Also, in some areas there are capitalisation mistakes and a couple of sentences that don't make sense and these do prevent some people from reading further.

Onto the story itself;

Spoiler

it seems a bit to generic but I personally think it is a bit difficult to try and pull off a scary story that has someone playing a wad. That "lost wad" for example didn't pull it off brilliantly either. I do however like the build up but I found the final result a little disappointing. Not to mention that I couldn't take the video too seriously with the "Oh yeah, Mr Krabs" scream randomly pasted in, it elicited a hearty chuckle more than anything. It's really not for me, I am afraid but I can see that you did try.

Thanks for the heads up, I fixed every possible spelling mistake I could find. Not to mention, it seems you've made a spelling mistake too: 'capitalisation'. Haha.

Spoiler

Yeah, it is quite difficult to pull off a somewhat scary story where it has someone playing a wad. And you have a good ear if you could recognize where that scream is from, wow, bravo haha. Anyway, thanks for your opinion. I do agree that the story may be generic, but it's hard to create something fresh when there's seven billion people on the planet, someone had bound to created the same type of story as I did.

Yes that is a very good point, even in music this happens (a variety of different versions of a riff for example). So it is, in theory, difficult to come up with something new and fresh these days. I kind of enjoyed the story, but I kind of didn't, mixed feelings, if you will.

Regarding the "spelling mistake", that is how it is spelled in British English (where I am from). "Socializing" amongst other words which have a similar ending, would replace the "Z" with an "S".

Springy said:

Regarding the "spelling mistake", that is how it is spelled in British English (where I am from). "Socializing" amongst other words which have a similar ending, would replace the "Z" with an "S".

Ah really? I never knew that, my apologies haha.

Guest Unregistered account

I'll just wait for SomeOrdinaryGamers to do this, but there are some errors in this.

I found it entertaining, nonetheless. Good job!

If you could trim this block of text down it would probably be better. A lot of reading for a lot of not-so-frightening stuff, or colorful word pictures etc.

describing anything as "I can't describe it" I may as well have not even read it.

Something creepy happened after I downloaded it

Spoiler

I tried to open "joseph.wad" with XWE and it crashed. Scary.

Maes said:

Something creepy happened after I downloaded it

Spoiler

I tried to open "joseph.wad" with XWE and it crashed. Scary.

Spoiler

Well, it shouldn't crash by opening it in XWE, because it works perfectly fine with me. Try opening it in SLADE or SLumpED instead. If that doesn't work, then it's probably just the wad itself then :/. Pretty scary regardless haha.

This would've actually been creepier if you didn't reveal everything so accurately, or if you threw in some surprise.

J.B.R said:

I played the wad and i didn't have any problems, also it wasn't that much scary as you said.

Spoiler

It's not really meant to be scary, just more so disturbing.

Again, I think this is simply because you described it down to the last detail before anyone would download and play it. Not one surprise, not one deviation from the script.

No mentions of the foaming process, severely disappointed. 1/5

Maes said:

Again, I think this is simply because you described it down to the last detail before anyone would download and play it. Not one surprise, not one deviation from the script.

Spoiler

Yeah I guess you're right. It is a story however; you kind of need to explain things thoroughly. I could of at least threw in some surprise though, but whatever.

dew said:

No mentions of the foaming process, severely disappointed. 1/5

let the foaming process begin_