Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

That one problem I have always had with CS since the original

...it's that stupid unrealistic spread when you fire your guns. Yes I get it that the games are trying to be realistic and that it adds a lot of skill into the game, but at the same time I also feel that the games actually go too far and that the insane spread can often be extremely unrealistic.

This guy demonstrates it pretty well (I recommend watching it in fullscreen).

There are moments in that video where he isn't hitting the enemy even though he is literally no more than 1 or 2 feet away from them. The argument can't be used that this is simply realistic because of spread, this is just pure nonsense.

I think the games could benefit from reducing (though by no means removing) the spread somewhat. Or at least at close and medium ranges.

Throwing in someone yelling 'Faggot hacker!' and that seems like a pretty standard counterstrike stuff to me.
I will always be grateful to counterstrike for teaching me what a pile of horseshit online gaming actually is.

hardcore_gamer said:

Yes I get it that the games are trying to be realistic and that it adds a lot of skill into the game

I have the opposite point of view. Often it reduces skill in favor of luck. I can't count how many times I ambushed the enemy only for my bullets to hit all around him even though the crosshair was positioned perfectly. On the other hand, they would just twitch-shoot some random direction and land a perfect headshot.

I happened to be on the other side of this situation as well - getting surprised, shooting in a random direction and getting a headshot. It was the definition of "unfairness" and "luck" as far as online gaming goes.

Captain Red said:

Throwing in someone yelling 'Faggot hacker!' and that seems like a pretty standard counterstrike stuff to me.
I will always be grateful to counterstrike for teaching me what a pile of horseshit online gaming actually is.

Sadly, that is true. It all depends on the game though - Return to Castle Wolfenstein had one of the coolest and most mature online communities ever. Unfortunately, "Enemy Territory" arrived, which was a free game so it attracted lots of 12-year old kids and it all went downhill from there.

Lately I'm not much into online gaming for the reasons you stated. I've discovered the magic of single player again, though more and more developers seem to neglect this mode.

Patrol1985 said:

"Enemy Territory" arrived, which was a free game so it attracted lots of 12-year old kids and it all went downhill from there.

Play that on the deathrow inmates servers, never noticed for once that it was 2014 in DRI servers, they just play have fun and chill.
unless something changed since 2013... (which i can not confirm.)

FireFish said:

Play that on the deathrow inmates servers, never noticed for once that it was 2014 in DRI servers, they just play have fun and chill.
unless something changed since 2013... (which i can not confirm.)

I don't intend to return to "Enemy Territory" in the near future, but thanks for the info!

I'm sure there are some decent servers with decent people, it just pains me that the MAJORITY of rtcw servers used to be like that and now they have to be specifically searched.

I'm okay with accuracy cones, it prevents sniping with pistols. Then there's distance damage decay where the further away some weapons are shot the less damage they do. Again, prevents pistol sniping.

What I'm not okay with is Gearbox's accuracy stat like you have a 50% chance of hitting someone even when you shoot them point blank. You watch the bullet hit them, but there's a 50% chance it will do nothing.

geo said:

I'm okay with accuracy cones, it prevents sniping with pistols. Then there's distance damage decay where the further away some weapons are shot the less damage they do. Again, prevents pistol sniping.

What I'm not okay with is Gearbox's accuracy stat like you have a 50% chance of hitting someone even when you shoot them point blank. You watch the bullet hit them, but there's a 50% chance it will do nothing.

?!?! This sounds like a major bug :D was it really intended? If so, why? Also: what's wrong with pistol sniping?

Captain Red said:

It is nice when you meet nice people who are fun to play with. It always blows my mind how many people play games to not have fun..

hardcore_gamer said:

The argument can't be used that this is simply realistic because of spread, this is just pure nonsense.

Why? Moving while shooting a gun and/or firing from the hip irl results in godawful accuracy at all ranges.

I just hate how most modern depictions of shotguns have their pellets disintegrate after about 10 feet or so.

[Edit]Ha, didn't even see Inkie's post right before mine[/edit]

Speaking of spread, I've always been kind of bothered by the exaggerated shotgun spread in games. I mean, obviously it all depends on the choke, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a shotgun in games with a realistic grouping of pellets vs. range. It's almost always more like a Blunderbuss.

But, it's kind of a nitpick and I understand it gives shotguns in games more of a "crowd control" sort of ability rather than just being a really powerful close range sniper rifle. At least Battlefield has that slug upgrade, which is hilarious because it really does just turn the shotgun into a sniper rifle.

I think both classic "arcade"-like FPS games like the Doom series and modern "realistic" ones like the Counter-Strike series are brilliant in their own ways. The only thing about Counter-Strike I don't understand (particularly in CS:GO, since it's the one I played the most) is why there's a counter for armor since it never depletes entirely before you're dead, and it doesn't carry over to the next round.

Nomad said:

[Edit]At least Battlefield has that slug upgrade, which is hilarious because it really does just turn the shotgun into a sniper rifle.

Even with a good barrel and a scope, 150 yards or so is realistically max effective range with a shotgun slug. And that's IF you're a good shot.

Inkie said:

I just hate how most modern depictions of shotguns have their pellets disintegrate after about 10 feet or so.

Funny enough, Counter-Strike is probably one of the few "modern" games where this doesn't happen.

Platinum Shell said:

The only thing about Counter-Strike I don't understand (particularly in CS:GO, since it's the one I played the most) is why there's a counter for armor since it never depletes entirely before you're dead, and it doesn't carry over to the next round.

Ha! I've never noticed that, but you're absolutely right. It seems the armor counter is just a thing adopted from previous FPS games, without giving it much thought and adjusting it to CS's needs. Good observation!

EDIT:

Although I'm pretty sure the amount of armor left carries over to the next round. At least that's what I recall from CS 1.6 as I haven't played CS:S or CS:GO

Patrol1985 said:

I have the opposite point of view. Often it reduces skill in favor of luck. I can't count how many times I ambushed the enemy only for my bullets to hit all around him even though the crosshair was positioned perfectly. On the other hand, they would just twitch-shoot some random direction and land a perfect headshot.

I happened to be on the other side of this situation as well - getting surprised, shooting in a random direction and getting a headshot. It was the definition of "unfairness" and "luck" as far as online gaming goes.

geo said:

Yea. And yet the CS fanbase will always defend this to the death telling us that "CS IS 100% SKILL AND ZERO LUCK!!!".

I do agree that there is A LOT of skill invovled in counter-strike because of the many advanced strategies you can use (these games are like the only series where I actually use things like flashbangs), but at the same time there are also these moments where you are just like "FUCK DIS GAME!".

I also don't get it why almost every gun is useless at long range except for the sniper rifles and the AUG. Once the enemy is far away even assault riffles can't hit shit. It's almost like you are fighting with muskets.

Quast said:

Even with a good barrel and a scope, 150 yards or so is realistically max effective range with a shotgun slug. And that's IF you're a good shot.

I was referring specifically to Battlefield (4). The Mossberg, I think it is, with the slug upgrade, if you've got good aim you can kill dudes across the map with it.

Patrol1985 said:

Although I'm pretty sure the amount of armor left carries over to the next round. At least that's what I recall from CS 1.6 as I haven't played CS:S or CS:GO

It has to be a game option then for all your inventory to carry over to the next round, as of all matches I've played of the game before I quit because I'm using a dumpy integrated gfx card and the game played at 20 fps, the game dumped all the shit I bought after a round ended. Or at least when I died. I don't remember.

It's fairly easy to make headshots with the m4a1 from Pit to A bomb site on dust2. It took me about 300 hours and many scrims to finally get the 'skill.'. The trick is to shoot in very short bursts and try not to move. Position is key. Consistent aim is hard work.

CS? You mean that game where you die once and then wait? Yawn. I think I played it once.

As someone who plays CS with the UD crew almost nightly, only a bunch of hardcore Doom players could ever consider CS "realistic"

EDIT: Also hardcore gamer, you probably just suck dawg

Another tip is stay in your spot if you're playing a site. Do not move unless you have an smg like p90, and if you're aim is well it'll be no problem making your shots. And CS isn't realistic at all, I don't think they've ever tried to be realistic, just competitive.

Do Terrorists and Counter Terrorists go around throwing flash bangs and mollies over walls, shoot each other in the head and respawn with cash IRL? Does the author of DNA update the code every week? What about 'God'? Does it consistently update the universe's code based on pros input?

I remember I played a lot of CS:Source around the time HL2 came out, because that was before TF2 so it was the only Source multiplayer out there. Never cared for it, because of how easy it is to die roughly 2.5 seconds after the match starts. I think that's where the perception that it's "realistic" comes from. It is, in the sense that you can't walk around like a bullet sponge absorbing tons of damage. For me, though, it's just infuriating because it's so difficult to get any real practice in. You don't really get second chances, so if you make a mistake you die instantly and can't try again until the round is over, preventing you from having the ability to learn from your mistakes.

Actually it'd be kind of nice if, when you died, you entered a sort of "practice" mode with all the other dead players, where it played more like traditional deathmatch where you can respawn and such until the round ends.

geekmarine said:

Actually it'd be kind of nice if, when you died, you entered a sort of "practice" mode with all the other dead players, where it played more like traditional deathmatch where you can respawn and such until the round ends.

There're various servers on the internet with deathmatch mode where you respawn after death which also let you choose whatever primary/secondary weapon combo you'd like to try out.
@OP The thing shown in the video isn't spread, it's just shitty hit detection.

Beginner said:

The thing shown in the video isn't spread, it's just shitty hit detection.

Perhaps, but there have still been rounds where I have depleted whole magazines of ammo in front of a person without hitting crap in spite of being like only a few feet away from them. It just feels so stupid. Still love the game overall, though.

Patrol1985 said:

?!?! This sounds like a major bug :D was it really intended? If so, why? Also: what's wrong with pistol sniping?

Its not a bug, its a feature with Gearbox games. Its not really 50% accuracy, but its like a RPG guns have 95% accuracy or whatever and enemies have 5% evasion. It pissed people off in Aliens vs Colonial Marines in single player and multi player, Borderlands and other Gearbox games. I even think Duke Forever had it in single player.

Shotguns in a lot of games have accuracy cones.... get close and shoot. But when a shotgun fires a lot of bullets / pellets are fired at once. If an enemy is far away, you might miss, if an enemy is close all of those bullets are going in.

Suddenly CS:GO is popular with the fact people can now make money trading and the prize money. Everyone is shifting from an over saturated TF2 to a fresh CS:GO.

geo said:

Its not a bug, its a feature with Gearbox games.

On a side note, am I the only one who thinks the AUG and the SSG are OP as fuck at the moment?