Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
joe-ilya

The invulnerabillity sphere in doomsday.

Er, probably? With absolutely zero information about your set up, theres very little anyone can do to help. Which version of Doomsday are you using? Wheres your doomsday.out log file? Which add-ons are you running?

I've installed new doomsday_1.14.5.exe and got this

I tried on win7x64+core2+8800gts (with outdated drivers 320.49)

Its running perfectly fine for me on win7x64 i7 gtx275 (driver ver 340.52). In fact I've never seen that dialog before on any system I've tried Doomsday on.

The latest version I can run is doomsday_1.11.2.exe from 2013-08-29. Starting from 1.12 I get that message.

P.S. Ok, now I can start the latest 1.14.5 too. By default it trying to start at fullscreen and I get that message. After checking "[x] Always start in windowed mode" it works fine.

I've tested every driver option in the NVIDIA control panel on my Windows dev system to see if there is perhaps some incompatible configuration. Thus far I've found no configuration resulting in such a dialog.

Can you try disabling fullscreen anitaliasing (-nofsaa on the command line)?

DaniJ said:

Can you try disabling fullscreen anitaliasing (-nofsaa on the command line)?

Yes, it helps.

Message about unsupported hardware:
doomsday.exe -iwad D:\games\Doom2\DOOM2.WAD

Works fine:
doomsday.exe -iwad D:\games\Doom2\DOOM2.WAD -nofsaa

My native resolution is 2560x1440.

Thanks for the info. I'll run some tests on Doomsday's custom framebuffer and frame compositor to see if there are any issues...

I've tested Doomsday's framebuffer and on my system at least, rendering to such a large canvas appears to be working fine. Although I can't test such a canvas in fullscreen mode as my monitor's max resolution is 1920x1200.

Can you run Doomsday in fullscreen with antialiasing enabled and following the fatal error, post the contents of your doomsday.out (I'm hoping to find a warning or two indicating at what point the display mode change is failing).

entryway said:

Sadly that doesn't help me much as it would appear the display mode change is failing after control is handed off to Qt (no warnings are being logged, indicating that everything appears fine from Doomsday's perspective).

P.S. prboom+ works fine with 8x multisampling if it does matter

Doomsday will use the NVidia specific CSAA method of antialiasing with a custom framebuffer. I suspect that the coverage-sampled framebuffer Doomsday is requesting isn't supported by your hardware.

Can you try forcing 16x CSAA on from the NVidia control panel and see if PrBoom+ behaves the same as Doomsday?

DaniJ said:

Can you try forcing 16x CSAA on from the NVidia control panel and see if PrBoom+ behaves the same as Doomsday?

Looks like forcing AA from NVidia control panel does nothing for me. Neither plain 8x, nor 16x CSAA. It does not crash, it just does nothing. Only forcing FXAA gives effect.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/235592644/clip/2014-09-13_22.03.10.png

Ok, probably I should try to update my drivers. Again. I stuck with old version, because all new versions (within a year, I think) cause system crash from time to time if hardware acceleration is enabled in Firefox. But it happened with 560Ti. Now I use old 8800.

There are many similar reports on NVidia forums:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/625051/r331-drivers-still-crash-nvidia-are-you-listening-/?offset=30

entryway said:

Ok, probably I should try to update my drivers.

Done. I've installed 340.52-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe. Unfortunately it does not help. Doomsday can't start with default settings.