Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X Episode 2 is out of beta! (v1.0.1 Aug 13, 2020)

Sorry for the bump, but for some reason, MAP27 has no monsters, or even a sky. All I see is white.
IDDT showed there are linedefs there, but then where are the textures?

Voros said:

Ok... So what exactly am I supposed to do there?

Stay there forever until E3 comes out and play it when it does because clearly you don't know what a cliffhanger is.

alterworldruler said:

Stay there forever until E3 comes out and play it when it does because clearly you don't know what a cliffhanger is.

That's a cliffhanger? I expected some ExitText message or whatever vanilla Doom uses for those messages. Or something like the last level of E1.

Thanks to both of you!

IIRC on the ledge that faces over the white void there's a "to be continued..." written.

I never noticed until now.

Thanks for pointing that out for me!

Voros said:

That's a cliffhanger? I expected some ExitText message or whatever vanilla Doom uses for those messages. Or something like the last level of E1.

Thanks to both of you!

The issue is that vanilla doesn't let you put exit text wherever you want, and it turns out the last map in BTSXe2 is MAP27 instead of MAP30.

I just noticed this texture error in the first hub map. This low-res rock texture appears under the bridge when looking down from that side. Bridge looks fine when I move into that area to the right. Played in Zandronum 3.0.

That's some vanilla Doom sector trickery you're spying on there. You're not intended to look down that far (since vanilla doesn't let you), but GL lets you do it. An unavoidable thing.

[Also, turn texture filtering off, man. Yer ruinin' the set. D:]

You're "spotting" errors with mouse freelook in a vanilla mapset? Well played sir.

SFoZ911 said:

You're "spotting" errors with mouse freelook in a vanilla mapset? Well played sir.

Hey, I didn't notice anything unusual like that in Episode 1. And why would I not use free look in a wad with a strong emphasis on detailing and aesthetics? I've been freelookin' since '04 and that ain't stopping.

Xaser said:

[Also, turn texture filtering off, man. Yer ruinin' the set. D:]

Never! Once you go HQ3X you never go back!

rileymartin said:

I did... I actually used to use filtering but then I got into the more gritty style of Doom Retro so in all my ports I turn the contrast up and brightness down with no filters... So sexy

rileymartin said:

Hey, I didn't notice anything unusual like that in Episode 1. And why would I not use free look in a wad with a strong emphasis on detailing and aesthetics? I've been freelookin' since '04 and that ain't stopping.

Keep your mouselook, I don't care. I just find it silly that you post errors/bugs in a vanilla mapset with mouselook.

rileymartin said:

On the other hand, sorry if no one cares when your personal map-breaking preferences break the maps.

It makes sense to me to report such issues. Yes, looking up and down isn't part of the intended baseline experience, but lots of people will play with it anyway. It's just that it's up to the mappers to see if they want to bother attempting to fix it or not, and if they don't want to bother, or tried but didn't succeed, then they can always just put it in the "known bugs" part of the readme.

SFoZ911 said:

Keep your mouselook, I don't care. I just find it silly that you post errors/bugs in a vanilla mapset with mouselook.

I find posts like yours silly. Vanilla or not, many ports these days support mouselook, some more, some less, and believe it or not - some people using these ports actually do not even KNOW that not being able to look up or down was a part of vanilla. So please stop that condescending attitude.

As Gez said, the least should be a 'known bugs' entry, the best some way to work around that glitch.

Gez said:

It makes sense to me to report such issues. Yes, looking up and down isn't part of the intended baseline experience, but lots of people will play with it anyway. It's just that it's up to the mappers to see if they want to bother attempting to fix it or not, and if they don't want to bother, or tried but didn't succeed, then they can always just put it in the "known bugs" part of the readme.

TBH I agree here -- there's no harm in at least reporting it because it may be one of those fixes that falls in the "eh, why not?" category. This one unfortunately isn't, since the HOM is caused by that 3D bridge effect and I can't tweak it without radically changing. that cave-y area. Also, I'm stubborn. :P

Sorry if my own response was too snippy. Didn't meant to suggest otherwise. :(

What's the deal with the automap not showing chunks of the levels? There was quite a large optional area in map 19 with 1/4th of the monster count and the computer map provided didn't show anything outside of the basic places I've already been to.

rileymartin said:

What's the deal with the automap not showing chunks of the levels? There was quite a large optional area in map 19 with 1/4th of the monster count and the computer map provided didn't show anything outside of the basic places I've already been to.

That's perhaps because the lines were set to "not be shown" on the automap from the builder itself. Then again, I'm not 100% sure.

No worries about that. We're just cleaning the table on e1 and e2 first, which should've been done a long time ago anyway.

Just passing to mention a few possible bugs I've found recently (minutes ago) in map 04:

DOOM00.png.968967735e6db4d35426f77d17f6d840.png

I'm done with this map and all those monsters never teleported anywhere. This is HMP, under Crispy Doom. Also, in map 01 two monsters never teleported anywhere too:

DOOM01.png.ace3a2b7afb34a10149762cbe5211666.png

Same settings, the two Hell Knights that are supposed to teleport on the "ship" (along the cacos and revs) never teleport, or wake up. Not sure why. 

@dew @esselfortium just in case c:

For a moment I thought this was the Ep 1 thread and was about to pop a vein. Anyway, if I recall my map01 lore correctly, the HKs aren't exactly a part of the ambush - they port in after you uncover certain illicit cargo. I'll check if the sound propagates to them properly though.

edit: Alright, the HKs aren't bugged, but I can see how one can avoid waking them up. The closet needs more cat ears for sound propagation.

Edited by dew