Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grain of Salt

Heretic/hexen in Chocolate Doom 2.0

I can't get either heretic or hexen to run in chocolate doom 2.0, on windows 8.1. I'm using "-iwad heretic.wad" in the command line, as mentioned on the chocolate doom FAQ page, but I just get the error message "R_TextureNumForName: SW1BRCOM not found". I think SW1BRCOM is a Doom 2 patch, which leads me to wonder if chocolate doom is still trying to load these wads as doom for some reason...??

Which .exe are you running ?
chocolate-doom.exe only runs Doom (and HACX) IWADs.
Heretic requires chocolate-heretic.exe, etc.

I was going to say "actually in v2.0 they all run from the same exe", since I've been running hexen off chocolate doom in the .app version for a while now, but I double checked and found that's only in OSX, and windows still has separate executables. So, mystery solved I guess.

As far as I know, they should be separate binaries on all platforms, but the Mac GUI launcher hides the fact and launches the appropriate one no matter what.

chungy said:

As far as I know, they should be separate binaries on all platforms, but the Mac GUI launcher hides the fact and launches the appropriate one no matter what.

This is correct.

@Grain of Salt - you can take some solace in the fact that you're not the first person to get confused by this - I actually added a check for this mistake several months ago; I haven't done a new release since then, though.