Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Doomworld Fitness Thread

Before the summer had begun, I was on a strict diet, and exercise routine. Then I sort of fell off the wagon, but still maintained a decent diet (portion-wise). Me and my friends made a pact that we would once again resume our workout routine, after Labor Day. Thus far, we have kept our word. Currently, I've been using the fitness test portion of the Insanity workout which includes a ton of cardo, plyometrics, and stretching. Afterwards, I move on to free weights; focusing on different body parts each day.

For my diet, I haven't been extremely strict, because I'm fortunate enough to have a fast metabolism. Nevertheless, I have drastically reduced my intake of bread. I have four to five meals a day, which is usually, eggs, tuna, chicken, beef, and salad. Further, I've started taking Creatine as well. After each workout, I also drink a protein shake with whey powder.

I've created this thread to share what I've been doing personally. But also for other to share their own experiences. Hopefully, we may be able to give one another advice, or perhaps inspire others to commit to a workout routine, and diet of their own.

A week before moving to college I graduated to red belt in tae kwon do.

On campus I live two buildings down from a gym, though I've only been there a few times for some cardio-type stuff.

These days I have a bit of muscle, but I've always had a pot belly.

Currently I want to focus on long-distance running (5km and 10km distances, or 3,11 and 6,21 miles respectively).

I would especially like to break my 5km record, which is 21 minutes 02 seconds. Going sub 20 minutes would feel like an awesome accomplishement for me.

I lost 20 lbs from January - March just from not eating pizza and cheese in general. I didn't even have 20 lbs to lose, but I could tell my clothes were starting to not fit. Every so often I use my girlfriend's gym for the treadmill. I'd treadmill an hour at 4 mph at 4 incline for an hour... I'd bury everyone else and outlast them on the treadmill. Basically the big challenge for me is at 4 mph for an hour is not running. Maintaining the walk when I want to run knowing that if I run I'll run out of energy.

Other than that, I have an awful job that I can sit for 12+ hours a day.

The problem is my girlfriend likes food a lot. Not she eats a lot, but she wants a lot of food. Who gets to finish it? She likes buffets and pizza. her own pizza, not sharing one.

Lately I've been motivated to get my 6 pack back. In my late teens I had an 8 pack that lasted maybe 8 years. I miss it. I'm doing my old routines and its weird I can feel my muscles inside the fat. Not that I'm fat or overweight, I'm underweight, but I still have fat.

I've also been dosing myself on a lot of vitamins and they've had amazing effects.

I got in very good shape a few years ago, but it all went to shit after a very bad case of pneumonia. Let me tell you, it is not fun stuff to have when you already have asthma to start with. It messed with my lungs enough that, for quite a while, it kept me home a lot.

But I'm past all that now, so I've been slowly getting back to where I was. I never gained all the weight I had lost back, only a portion of it, so that's been a plus. DDR is still my go-to aerobic exercise, followed by biking for 15-20 miles. I've also gotten back into fishing, which doesn't sound like exercise, but it sort of is given that I have to take some pretty intense hikes to get to my favorite spots at Gross Reservoir.

Sadly I don't do aikido anymore. It got to be hell on my knees. Someday I'll get back into martial arts, though.

I walk everywhere. That's about the extent of my fitness regime, but judging from the look of things I guess it works.

A fitness thread on DW is an oxymoron! Hell this travesty at once, and go back to your basement dwelling on your fat asses, y'all!

How about a weight gain thread? Not all of us are overweight. That's discrimination and I resent it!

I try to keep my diet focused on whole wheat, fiber, lean protein sources in addition various fruits and vegetables. Also try to limit my fat intake to unsaturated sources, like fish and various non-meat sources. Same with carbs, which is almost entirely of the complex type.

Still, I occasionally indulge in something sugary. I don't think it's too big of a deal for me. Most of my exercise is cardio nowadays, trying to make sure to get at least 6 km of walking/running a day.

buttspit said:

I try to keep my diet focused on whole wheat, fiber, lean protein sources in addition various fruits and vegetables. Also try to limit my fat intake to unsaturated sources, like fish and various non-meat sources. Same with carbs, which is almost entirely of the complex type.

Still, I occasionally indulge in something sugary. I don't think it's too big of a deal for me. Most of my exercise is cardio nowadays, trying to make sure to get at least 6 km of walking/running a day.

I basically eat the exact same way, except I fry everything in lard and don't shy away from saturated fat at all. As a general rule of thumb, I try to do no more than 50g of carbs per meal, and try to make most of those complex. Snacks are no more than 25g, and I'll eat 2-3 of those per day. This is how I (and my family members) got my (their) weight under control before. Doing this, calories usually fall into place.

I have a 30-minute (at least) walk on a daily basis. Also used to do push-ups once a day, but not since my civilian service ended a few weeks ago.

I do weight training three days a week. I used to train five days a week, but I found the 'less is more' concept worked better for me. I eat a lot of meat and vegetables, but I'm not crazy strict about my diet either. Though I avoid blatantly unhealthy 'foods' like chocolate, crisps (chips) etc.

The benefits have not only been external, but internal. Regular exercise has helped enormously with my depression and anxiety problems.

Managed to shave about 7kg off over the last month by cycling about 20 kms and doing a 15 minute workout with a pair of 4.5kg dumbbells daily.

Ah who are we kidding, we're all a bunch of pale-skinned, acne-ridden, basement-dwelling, balding fatass neckbeards and we know it.

I had some pretzels earlier.

No seriously, props to anyone out there working out. I lift weights occasionally and I walk my dog regularly, but I also eat a lot so it all evens out (or doesn't, depending on your viewpoint)

Maes said:

Ah who are we kidding, we're all a bunch of pale-skinned, acne-ridden, basement-dwelling, balding fatass neckbeards and we know it.

And probably partly schizophrenic, judging how you keep referring to yourself as "we" all the time.

I make sure that I always walk to the pub, then get pissed enough to end up staggering around town in circles for at least an hour on my way home. There's my fitness regime.

I just started a school about this stuff. If I get through, I get to train others.

What I do myself.. I walk and run a lot, lift weights, do kickboxing & sword practice and stretching. Except recently I've not been able to do much, as my thighs are hurting really bad. Even walking is tough. On wednesday I also fell on my thumb when I was doing some spinning kicks. Got a nasty looking bruise. Usually I'm able to do ukemi and not hurt myself at all. Yea, and I fell today too when doing some hurdling, just couldn't jump, but at least this time I didn't hurt myself at all.

I don't have any special diet. I just eat whatever I like. Fortunately I like foods that are probably healthy. I eat some chocolates and crisps sometimes. Usually something like one piece of 60-80% dark chocolate a day. I tried some protein shakes in summer, but then I read they may contain some weird stuff that could possibly cause cancer or something. I bought some protein chocolate/yoghurt bars few days ago.

Currently I weigh 63-64kg, and my plan is to increase to 70kg.. hopefully all increase being muscle. But I'm happy with a smaller increase too.

There was a cooper test at school when it started, and I ran 2900m. I could have ran a little bit faster. Everyone else kinda ran fast at start, but then exhausted and I catched up them all with my stable turtle speed. Except in the 30-60s I increased into sprinting speed.

2800m in cooper test in army, but more recently it was 2550m :D Guess soft drinks have done their job *sips*

Obsidian said:

And probably partly schizophrenic, judging how you keep referring to yourself as "we" all the time.

With a registered date of 2012, you can't understand how some things work here, newbie. "We" is us, the "old farts" of the forums. Now get in line.

One word: Metalworks.

Especially, if there's no proper equipment (forklifts, cranes, conveyor belts et cetera.) That'll quickly train your muscles, when you need to move 8 meters long, 100x100x5mm tubes to band saw, or to construction, as an example. And depending where to and how many, you're getting lotta training for 8 hours.

Been unemployed, so muscles ain't getting daily training.

Maes said:

With a registered date of 2012, you can't understand how some things work here, newbie. "We" is us, the "old farts" of the forums. Now get in line.

Touché. Just. :P

Krispy said:

How about a weight gain thread? Not all of us are overweight. That's discrimination and I resent it!

I hear ya. I could use some advice or motivation or something. I'm a fucking twig.

40oz said:

I hear ya. I could use some advice or motivation or something. I'm a fucking twig.

I'm currently building mass myself. As I mentioned in the op, I've been taking creatine, and whey powder, on top of eating primarily meat and veggies four to five times a day. Like me, you probably have an ectomorphic body structure. We are capable of burning fat quickly, but have a tougher time gaining muscle mass. But if you follow that aforementioned routine, you will gain results as well. It would probably take a few months, but there's no time like the present to start. We probably won't look like Arnold (he's a mesomorph), but that's fine. You could be shredded, with appropriately sized muscles for your frame; which will be ideal. More like stallone in the early rambo movies, or bruce lee.

Fyi: in MMA the wirey guys make the best fighters, so I've heard. The reason is because of not only their strength, but their agility and maneuverability.

Obsidian said:

I walk everywhere. That's about the extent of my fitness regime, but judging from the look of things I guess it works.

Yeah, pretty amazing what cutting most sugar out of my diet and walking more did. Dropped a ton of weight over the last couple years. I've still got a bit of a gut I wouldn't mind getting rid of, but it's nice being a little underweight for the first time in my life.