Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ARRRGHH

WadAuthor & editing help

Ok Two quick questions about editing with wadAuthor

Why am I always hitting big errors like "sector xxx is not closed"?
Is there a feature to join sectors?

And another one : How do u create a sky out of a wall texture??

Im tired to use the ceiling texture f_sky

Now I need hints from you experts because I never ever done a wad entirely.

Is there any built order ? Like you create the big sectors first then create sectors inside it . Do you first draw the wad on a plan?
Or do it right in your computer?

Thank you

Depends on the person, some people draw plan , some don't.
I don't usually have a plan usually just a vague idea :o)

alright...

first, sector not closed means one of those walls (aka. linedefs) inside that sector thats not closed are refering to another sector, than the one that it should refer to, basically not refering to the sector that its in.

your sectors are numbered everytime you create one. for example, sector # 5 not closed.

check that sector number that the error message is talking about and look at the linedefs inside that sector. check the properties of the lines. you should see either "sector" or "sector reference" somewhere. (I don't use Wadauthor so I really can't tell what its called in its menu) if you see something similar to that. look at it. you should see the sector number that line is refering too.

if the number doesn't match the correct sector number in which that line suppose to belong to. then change the number value to the correct sector that it belongs in.

I really suck at explaining stuff. maybe somebody here. (probably Big_Al or Tarin) could explain this easier.

Heh, I can draw my best maps on paper, but when I'm on my computer, it always ends the complete opposite. Drawing maps are not a must if you don't want to, most of my maps are made at about 1 am when I'm totally bored, but drawing'em can help, well maybe...
Beside, I totally lack the drawing skills :(

To easily see which lines are improperly assigned in your unclosed sector, in WadAuthor, hit the S key to go into sector-only mode. Move the mouse cursor over the sector in question. Lines belonging to the sector are hilighted. One or more of the lines will remain un-hilighted...those are the problem. Double click on the line in question, correct the sector number assignment either on the front side or the back side of the line, hit OK. Recheck sector.
Every now and then, when you are splitting lines and joining to other lines, a line will retain its "old" sector identification.

ARRRGHH said:

How do u create a sky out of a wall texture??

You can't. But you can make a sector with a ceiling just above the floor and make the sky texture of that sector F_SKY1, so it looks like there is no wall (sorta).

Thank you

You are welcome.

When making your sectors, make sure you always join the vertices in a clockwise order, otherwise the sector won't be closed.

Ok thanks for all the answers there .
I didnt know about sector, linedef, vertex modes

But still I dont know how to use correctly the wall textures
SKY1 Sky2 and Sky3. They are not here to be paintings on a wall.

is it possible to do with WadAuthor ? if yes, how?

The SKY1/2/3 wall textures are just that, wall textures. You aren't doing anything wrong there.

If you're asking how to make a new sky, you need WinTex for something like that. If the level is taking the place of Map 01 or E1M1, then just replace Sky1 with whatever you want the sky to be. To use that as the ceiling, just give the sector a ceiling flat of F_SKY1

I think doom2 uses those sky1, sky2 and sky3 textures in several ways. You can actually put them on a wall and perhaps make a view through a window to see sky the "cheap" way, but I don't think such a sky view will appear stationary over any objects in front of the wall vs. how the normal sky works.

When you use f_sky1 in sector ceiling, depending on which level number, doom2 will use the sky1, sky2 or sky3 patches (textures?) as the "real" doom2 sky. Replacements for these sky entries will be used by f_sky1 as Archie said.