Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

PrBoom for everything I can.
Zdoom for everything else I can’t.
[…]
Have never been able to make GZDoom work on my system.

Since I'm only playing single-player, same answer as last month :
Chocolate Doom for Vanilla play
PrBoom+ (GLBoom+ more precisely) for limit-removing & Boom-compatible WAD's
(G)ZDoom when I have to

Sometimes, Crispy Doom for testing

GZDoom. It's ease of use is unparalleled, and looks the best to me with some fine tuning (get rid of that shitty default blur for example). I include ZDoom a part of GZDoom, as theres no real difference between the two for me.

It also runs my favourite mod, Doom Expanded, so thats a plus.

Eternity is my second choice. Doomsday a distant third. No other port runs well enough for me or is stupidly complicated to use to the point of being useless.

All of them. Seriously :) They all have strengths and weaknesses and they're all quite small in terms of file size.

GZDoom here. I'm going to install Chocolate Doom this weekend, and dual wield the two if it does indeed feel like the good ol' Doom of ye olde days.

Chocolate Doom only. Haven't tried other ports nor mods. I'm thinking sometimes about trying one of the multi-focused ports like Zandronum or Odamex but then I fear that I would very suck at Deathmatch (I think I suck generally at multiplayer.. though I played only one game multi! :)).

RadTang said:

I'm thinking sometimes about trying one of the multi-focused ports like Zandronum or Odamex but then I fear that I would very suck at Deathmatch

The more you play, the better you'll get!

Guest Unregistered account

Mine would be:

GLBoom
Great for normal Doom levels and for Boom, it looks pretty and is most Speedrunners' choice for recording. The only problems are the faults that come with OpenGL...

SkullTag / Zandronum
Had I not strayed from my statement of "ZOMFG Zandronum is a downgrade", this would have been a section dedicated to one Sourceport: SkullTag.
Of course, since SkullTag's dead :( and skulltag_data.PK3 exists, Zandronum is now my preffered choice.
With a whole host of fantastic new game modes and support for (an out-of-date build of) ZDoom, Zandronum is far and above my favourite Source port for Single player WADs that require it, and is easily my favourite multiplayer port.

GZDoom
As most maps are developed now in ZDoom: Doom in Hexen format, a form of ZDoom is certainly required. There's a reason it's perhaps the Sourceport most mods require to run. Adding dynamic lights and proper 3D floors, this is an extremely powerful mapping tool that breaks right through Doom's mapping limits and really lets you create whatever you see in your mind's eye, let alone full games (yes).

Oh, and it uses OpenGL.

Doom RETRO
I just love this one! It completely kicks ZDaemon's claim of "Doom how it was meant to be" in the crotch, keeping the graphics and gameplay properties near-intact but providing high-resoloution screens, new, tiny-but-neat features and an awesome twist on the red colour palette (it doesn't get darker, meaning the eyes of enemies and skulls in the background, as well as fire always loom and flare from the darkness out at you. That feature alone makes it look fantastic). I even called it my favourite Sourceport at one point. Is that true? Well, it's definitely a close second if not. ;)

ZDoom unless otherwise specified.

I used to use Skulltag as my main port (and ZDoom if extra features were used in the mod), but it's a bit outdated now. :P Haven't used Zandronum very much.

Honestly I don't care to play close to vanilla anymore so I just use GZDoom for single player.

Depends what mapset I'm playing, or if I'm using a mod. Most of the time though (and for convenience) I drag/drop WADs onto a G/ZDoom shortcut.

When it comes to mapping though... source ports galore. Chocolate if I'm staying within limits, Eternity if I'm using Boom format, and G/ZDoom-based if I'm just going apeshit and fucking around with various UDMF features. Other ports for other formats, of course. Not that I really take much advantage of unique features found in stuff like EDGE or Legacy nowadays, but I still open 'em up and create stupid shit when I have time to burn.

All that being said, I download every port I find because I'm a bit OCD/stupid when it comes to Doom. I must have 30 copies of doom2.wad across various port directories by now.

Doomkid said:

The more you play, the better you'll get!

It should be like this. My reluctant attitude is a little left-over after my (quite a long) stay with one very popular online game. I was bad (though not a complete meganoob) and I felt like I was playing with 101% pros who could do 1 vs 5, one-handed & without using keyboard ( playing only with mouse). As for Doom, there's a lot of online DW events. Maybe I should get into one.

RadTang said:

It should be like this. My reluctant attitude is a little left-over after my (quite a long) stay with one very popular online game. I was bad (though not a complete meganoob) and I felt like I was playing with 101% pros who could do 1 vs 5, one-handed & without using keyboard ( playing only with mouse). As for Doom, there's a lot of online DW events. Maybe I should get into one.

Just get a multiplayer port and Internet Doom Explorer and play, seriously. No use being a pussy over it seeing as it is just a game. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Odamex; close to OS Doom, nor much activity however. Zandronum; Good advanced features (nowhere near as much as ZDoom), most popular but comes with a consequence of being not such a mature community. ZDaemon; mix between new and old school, comes with in built server browser like Odamex (unlike Zandrobum), pub CTF games are more common too, Kilgore will probably end up banning you at some stage for no real reason, not as advanced as Zandronum.

Heck, sunshine I am as shit as they come for DM but I am always up for a game. If you are bad, you are bad so what? If you are really that worried then come join me and DK at some point or Eris.

Springy said:

Just get a multiplayer port and Internet Doom Explorer and play, seriously. No use being a pussy over it seeing as it is just a game. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Odamex; close to OS Doom, nor much activity however. Zandronum; Good advanced features (nowhere near as much as ZDoom), most popular but comes with a consequence of being not such a mature community. ZDaemon; mix between new and old school, comes with in built server browser like Odamex (unlike Zandrobum), pub CTF games are more common too, Kilgore will probably end up banning you at some stage for no real reason, not as advanced as Zandronum.

Heck, sunshine I am as shit as they come for DM but I am always up for a game. If you are bad, you are bad so what? If you are really that worried then come join me and DK at some point or Eris.

I'm downoloading them all. And reading the MP guide http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/69270-multiplayer-doom-online-tutorial-zandro-zd-odamex-legacy-etc/ . Hope that I will find someone.

Edit #1: ZDaemon doesn't work for me. "Cannot connect to master server". Closed all net-heavy programs - nothing. Closed firewall - nothing.

Edit #2: Odamex too. With similar error message.

Edit #3: Zandronum works in single-player. Doomseeker returns 0 servers O_O

Maybe I need to ask my brother to do something with ports on router or so. We're sharing connection (via cable).

uHexen for everything it works with. PrBoom+ for everything else.

edit: ts;dr version here. Actually, since I made that post, trollwads have provided support for this policy.

Grazza said:

uHexen for everything it works with. PrBoom+ for everything else.

edit: ts;dr version here. Actually, since I made that post, trollwads have provided support for this policy.

What does that old uHexen has to offer that (g)zdoom doesn't?

@BaronofStuff
That's why DOOMWADDIR exists!

He might prefer it because it simpler, or because uhexen might be gpl complaint (as opposed to zdooms nonfree license special), although if the latter is the reason, chocolate hexen and jhexen would be better choices.

I typically like zdoom or zandronum for single player source ports. I only use Odamex and ZDaemon for online multiplayer.

Tried again today with Odamex / Zandronum / ZDaemon. Doesn't work. I remember that I once tried ZDaemon - on my old PC (replaced by current machine) and we still had the older router (changed that one too).

Hmmm... That's very strange. I'm running from a Pocket WIFI right now (basically the equivalent of getting internet from a phone) and all the servers are showing up for me.

I'd like to help, but I haven't heard of the servers simply not showing up. I hope someone more knowledgeable can help you out!

When I was playing League of Legends, I had no problems (both on my earlier router and current one). Nothing was needed from my brother side. I had to note the program as trusted in Windows system firewall. Done the same thing with all 3 Doom ports. Also marked them as trusted in my AV-suite (with firewall). Nothing helped. Also tried to switch off one and both of them - also nothing.

Anyway, thanks for at least will to help :)

Good thread! I started with Skulltag/Zandronum, then moved on to ZDoom/GZDoom. Last month's "try a new source port" theme led me to trying out all of the other source ports. Now, my main source port is EDGE/3DGE because I think that it has a nice combination of graphics, sound, and modding capabilities. Second in line would be Vavoom for the same reasons, though I can't get over those two large black bars on the sides of the screen. Third would be the Eternity Engine because it is awesome for vanilla Doom and it has some nice features.

I fell in love with Doomsday, but it kept crashing and glitching on me, and the modding seems very limited compared to the other source ports. I tried Risen3D, as well. It seemed to work better than Doomsday for me, and I found the frontend more to my liking. I keep it around for the nice eye candy and the fact that I can create my own soundtracks and load them right there in the frontend. Legacy won't work on my computer at all. PRBOOM+ is awesome.