Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kontra Kommando

NYPD Will Start Using Body Cameras in Pilot Program

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/nyregion/new-york-police-officers-to-begin-wearing-body-cameras-in-pilot-program.html?_r=0

I think this is a win-win situation for everyone. People will feel confident that police officers are under surveillance, which will deter cases of brutality. The Police will have proof to use justifiable force in deadly situations. Hopefully, this initiative will be successful. Discuss here.

I can't see anything wrong with this. Even if footage is doctored afterwards, that only goes for corruption that goes up a few tiers. I feel like it's bound to help in some capacity, at least.

It'll have some awesome youtube videos doctored in one way or the other. Glad to see the mighty NYC taking a page out of Ferguson's new playbook.

There are interesting technical considerations that have to be made; mainly in that a body cam does not automatically solve he-said-she-said problems and that the cameras themselves may not even provide particularly great evidence. Another view on the subject, highlighting potential issues of a body cam.

A key takeaway:

Wylee Coyote said:

In situations where the precise thing someone said — or the precise moment someone saw something — becomes crucially important, these videos may hurt as much as help. Along with muddled, inconclusive witness statements and inconclusive autopsies, we can now add muddled, inconclusive video footage. It’s just going to become one more thing for people to litigate with their preconceived narratives.

Honestly, this is something that I think needs to be implemented for all police officers everywhere. Granted, I can't help but shake the feeling that eventually we're going to run into a high-profile case where, "We lost the video," or, "The officer forgot to turn the camera on," or something like that, but on the whole, I think it's crucial that when someone has that kind of power, they need to have the sense that they're being watched to ensure they're not abusing that power, er, a literal, "Who watches the watchmen?" if you will. Yeah, I realize I borrowed that quote in another thread, but I mean, I feel like that's the approach we need to take to limit police corruption. Obviously, we can't completely and totally ensure police corruption never happens, but I think even the idea that they're being watched might help.

Most likely the footage will "help" whenever it suits the police, and will disappear or deemed invalid when it could be used to prove inappropriate action on their part.

You don't need such cameras if the police are properly trained or competent on their job. Apparently, they fail in "protect citizens"-part if they need such equipment in first place.

Not that I am against this idea, mind you.