Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Opulent

Hexen Beyond Heretic Demoset by Opulent

====================================================
Opulent's Hexen: Beyond Heretic demoset - 9/5/2014

Hexen is nearly 19 years old now. It was initially released on October 30, 1995.

I have more FPS playback demos than anyone else; and even I only have 23 Hexen demos.
That's it, 23 demos in 19 years.

So here's 57 more Hexen demos, including the first-ever recorded full maxdemos of all 9 Iwad hubs and a full-game demo of Deathkings of the Dark Citadel expansion.
I don't expect anyone else to record Hexen demos, but hopefully someone enjoys something from this long-overdue demoset.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gudl6lpti8e22x4/Opulent_Hexen_Demoset.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gudl6lpti8e22x4/Opulent_Hexen_Demoset.zip

A very special thanks to Andrey Budko for Hexen-plus and all of his playback demo and source port work.

Thanks to Raven Software, idsoftware, Simon Howard, Andy Olivera, Ralf Schreivogel, Pif de Mestre, Luc de Mestre, Jon Lee, the Doomworld Admins/Staff, and Vincent Catalaa.
====================================================

Due to Doomworld-forums filesize attachment limit, the following are missing from the first 13 attachments in this thread:

hub6_opulent_skill4_fighter_max_hexenplus_7435.zip
hub6-hub8_opulent_skill4_fighter_max_hexenplus_20215.zip
ohf13-hub3_opulent_skill5_fighter_hexenplus_7342.zip
ohf22-hub4_opulent_skill5_fighter_max_hexenplus_7333.zip

-------------------

I uploaded the 13 attachments to this thread since the mediafire link could/might/will-probably expire sometime relatively soon.

so, in short, if you want all of the demos(the full package), just download the mediafire link in the first post of this thread.

-- post edited for clarity --

ohd1.zip

Well this is an unexpected surprise. I will definitely give them a watch soon.

Hexen has had poor port support especially for demos, single-level demos are impractical, and it just lacks the popularity of Doom or even Heretic is seems. I'm sure all of those play a factor in the lack of demos for it. I think it's a great game though, and so I'm excited to see these.

It would be good to have the missing demos on this board, but as long as you long into your Mediafire account semi-regularly, the files should stay where they are. I have stuff on Mediafire that is a few years old, for which links still work.

google drive and dropbox are both free places to store demos and provide download links that never expire (afaik), fyi. Nice to see some hexen stuff at any rate :)

how is this hexen plus supposed to work? It doesn't seems to like windows 8.1 with limited account at all and none of the compatibility modes either.

What version should I download and how to install it?

Hexen is a 16-bit DOS game from 1995. In short, your current 64-bit OS(with limited win32 compatibility built-in) isn't capable of running the game. You need a better computer.

But a more constructive response would be to suggest running Hexen(or install DOS6.22(or similar)) with Microsoft Virtual PC(supports 2d graphics only) or Microsoft HYPER-V(if your OS/computer supports it), Dosbox(or similar), or a virtual machine hosting tool like VMWare(or similar).

For more drastic/serious people out there, I recommend getting rid of the nearly useless Windows7/8 OS for the far more functional WindowsXP. I recommend installing that on a separate hard drive... especially since your hardware may not support WindowsXP(although it probably does). This way you can always 'revert' back to windows8.1 by booting to the other hard drive. I do not recommend dual booting.

Personally, unless you have access to vSphere or some other more capable virtual machine environment, I would try Dosbox first for this particular problem. I've never used it outside of Duke3d support, so I have little advice beyond giving it a try.

Lastly, I realize that this was not the answer you wanted to hear; but DOOM and Hexen are DOS games. I'm assuming Chocolate-hexen works on your computer. Chocolate-Hexen is capable of playing back single-map demos that are recorded with Chocolate-Hexen or the real game(not hexenplus necessarily). And I'm sure you know you need the IWAD resource file(s) to playback these demos.

Sure, every doom port works on windows 8.1, including prboom, zdoom, doomsday, doom legacy etc. but this is really first of its kind which definetly refuses to load up this being doomplus based.

So this doesn't have any kind of modern Windows-support and I should install some relics like Windows Xtra Shit or Win98?

Great demoset Opulent! I download it some time ago and sometimes watching this demos. Many demos an hour long, nees time for this. I'm very interesting - how you recorded one demo with time 3 hours 22 minutes? :)

I'm also have interest for Hexen demos in original format, you have any records, than presents in this demoset? Also, maybe you have new demos for Heretic in original format?

Chocolate Hexen now have extended demo support, need watch the latest unstable builds and test for desync problems.

PVS said:

Great demoset Opulent! I download it some time ago and sometimes watching this demos. Many demos an hour long, nees time for this. I'm very interesting - how you recorded one demo with time 3 hours 22 minutes? :)

Thanks for watching. Thanks to Budko for the improved demo support through hexen-plus.
It's a shame we live so far apart, we could play some coop or deathmatch Heretic/Hexen.

Wait wait, what happens at the end of Shadow Wood? The pigs help you get through the door somehow?

Very entertaining run overall, lots of hilarious tricks like spawning a maulotaur to jump on his head and neat little details like clearing the area while the other player is doing something important.