Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Proktor87

Maruta 731 has been upgraded.... yet again.

Hello.
I have been researching over the years and have listened to advice,
so I decided to post an update to the existing Maruta game.
You can download it from below right now.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?dir=levels/doom/ports/m-o/

Click Maruta.zip
You need ZDOOM to play it.

FEATURES AND ADDITIONS:

-8 weapons
(Bonesaw, Knife, Sword, Pistol, Shotgun, SMG, Grenade and Mine).
-Collectible POWS
-9 Maps
-All corpses can be altered (Wounds, mutilation, etc).
-Alternate deaths
-3 Enemies and 1 boss
-Custom music by my Industrial music group Splintered Gypsy
-Blood splatters, Poison splatters, pools and drops
-Reload function for both you and enemies
-Bullet and shell casing
-Bullet and slash decals
-New end message, screen
-New sounds and messages
-Cursor
-Enemy wound state (slows enemy down)
-Various modifications and additions

10 months total work time.
I also just fixed some errors with HUD reload timing, and blood lag and corpse kills. I will upload that fix into the next patch after I see if anyone want more functions in the game.

Perhaps this may give some of you the atmosphere you wanted. I'm sure it may be tiring seeing me pop up every couple years, but I just want to show that I am learning more and more and want to get people to enjoy what I create. It's unknown if the next patch will be my final update. If people like this it probably will be. If you want even more, let me know. When this mod is finally at a close, I plan on moving on to a Joker mod similar to the Joker maps in Arkham Asylum.

Some people also said they wanted the enemies to fight you... (Kung Fu) as they put it. lol. I am working on melee attacks right now. Also may add some functions for the POWs in cages... like when you blast at them they throw a clip or something for you. Someone also spoke of being able to use enemies as human shields. well, I know that's already been done before, but I may do it too. Anything else?

I've gotten a lot of feedback from others online and offline. I've decided to take a horror route to the game. Most of the complaints from others if not all about Maruta 731, will be resolved in this updated mod. The game will not fully be in black and white, much color will be used though will have some elements of black and white at times... Enemies will also have melee attacks instead of just using guns, Map design will be expanded and improved. Detail will be improved. This will not be a typical war mod. Enemies will be spirits, there will be jump scares, screaming, real photos used, and tons more ideas.

All this plus what was already done below in the latest patch of Maruta will be in the game

-Bullet and shell casing
-Blood and slice decals
-Reload function
-All corpses can be altered (Wounds and mutilation)
-Enemy wound state (slows enemy down when shot)

Maruta 731 is now just a prototype of this upcoming wad with an alternate title. Since a lot of the work has already been done over the months, it should not take an extremely long time, but will not be rushed

Some issues:

Played on GZDoom 1.8.2 Linux(64). Base WAD - Ultimate Doom.

I gotcha. The raised pistol is not a glitch, that is the player pulling back the hammer. It was simpler to just do clips and offscreen for reloading, the shotgun although does raise and the player loads shells into it if you remove the standard status bar to view. I am aware of the getting stuck glitch. Some odjects were accidentally set as solid so they can't be walked over. Ammo is scarce for realism this is meant to be a realistic mod. The white floor is supposed to be snow. Was not aware of the skybox.... corpses do not count as kills. However a lot of things will change in the next update. I have fixed most of what you have mentioned and will post it again when I add the update in a few months.

No one have written anything, so do I. I know the feeling of not getting responses.

So, what did I like?
- The concept. Purely awesome idea to make a horror mod about Unit 731.
- The monochromity. Makes everything way darker.
- The music. You do that well! ("horror metal")
- Some of the corpses. I also loved the people forced to bed.
- The monster replacements. Imp replacement is cool, for example.

And that's all. I'm sorry. What I didn't like?
- I absolutely didn't see any REAL efforts in your map design as it seems. No offense, really. But in the age of Doom Builder, these architectures can be made within less than an hour PER MAP. Complete lack of realism, mediocre gameplay. The only acceptable thing I saw was that bridge with corpses around below, but even that is not clear for first. Maybe I'm too critical but this map quality is far below anything I could accept. I know you wrote that it mixes Doom an Wolfenstein 3D-style, but...no, it still doesn't give the feeling it should.
- Several items you created don't fit. Barricades are silly, cremation 'entrances' on the cremation level are not visible, you should have created them in architecture instead of using things.
- Titlepic and ending pic are OK but might have been more artistic instead of just putting text to the screen. Intermission screen is not that bad but also adds nothing to the mod.
- Damaging corpses adds nothing to the feeling, and even some of them look silly.
- I also disliked your rant I saw already in Forum Hell. Your work on anything is not rated according to your efforts, but according to how people like it. You may do something with very hard work if you have lack of knowledge on some areas - the result may not be that great.

Overall, it's a great concept, with poor implementation. I'm definitely happy for the aforementioned thing that I DID like, though. If you make some PROPER maps and maybe add some new textures (and better objects), it may be a great stuff, but currently, it's not better than 2 out of 5.

Ah I see. Yes, work will be done on the corpses and map design especially. The barricades you spoke of... were you talking about the corpse piles, or the bed? or the medical instrument trays? probably talking about the bed, but yeah if you have to explain what it is, then it needs work. most of the corpses are being redone and most of the damage functions to already killed corpses is being removed since the actors will be spirits. the horror approach will be a creepier take. with the new ideas I have, and better map design in mind, it will be better. thank you for appreciating the music that I did.
I realize that I am not being rated on my efforts, but this website holds some of the most snobbiest and most bitchy of people that I have ever encountered. Still, I post with hopes that grateful people step forward and just enjoy what I do. It will get better and I don't post expecting people to worship what I do, but to know that I will make it better next time. Most of the time, I do not post thinking that it's a finished product, but to get feedback.

Meanwhile I checked he new items/things and textures in Doom Builder. The amount of content is maybe too little, and there are things which act or look stangely; but now I'm sure that technically redoing sme things may help it to be an actualy cool WAD. Somehow, I started actually loving the main idea of the project. Basically, I "loved" movies related to Unit 731 as well, I mean not what happened but the way it was introduced, and your WAD also remotely reminds me of Man Behind the Sun which was also black and white.

Sorry I can't answer to your questions, I'm in hurry now.

No problem man. I will do much better and revamp this wad. I always try to improve on what I did before. Will post updates to the wad in a few weeks. It will be titled "Ghosts of Pingfang" and will even have a unique story to it.

Pics from the upcoming updated mod as of now....

I am using doom resources, my own resources, and doom 2.5 stuff too, but also adding reloading animations to the guns. Credit will be given to the author of that mod.

What the heck!

I really wanna try this thing soon, I'm grabbing the next update as soon as I spot it :-)

Next update and hopefully, final one... will be in a few months. Maybe even earlier than that if everything works out well for this update. Thank you

I think the greyscale textures were nice. You may keep them if you want.

A hint: you can change the color palette of the game itself, instead of recolouring textures one by one. May take much time, but makes your life way easier.

First and last pic are nice, despite I can't take the last one seriously...maybe just the mistake of Doom.

Either way I'm definitely happy that you're improving.

Wow, you are probably the first person to actually like the original grayscaling... Everyone else spoke intense volumes about how much they hated it. lol. There will still be some grayscaling, for example for the spirits, and some walls, but with some color pop added or redone. Thanks for the tip, however to make this come out how I want it to, I am recoloring mostly all textures. Which mostly all of them are already almost done. for the last pic, it works nicely while you are playing. The corpse squirms and screams at you after you shoot it. Perhaps you don't like the angle it was shot at. Lots of surprises in store. Many more enemies not shown in the prototype, and perhaps even more ideas. First level is nearly done. Later

UPDATE:

Working on the second level now. This is where upgrading your guns will happen. Explosive shells for the shotgun and nails for the SMG are my ideas for starters. You will drop your standard gun after picking up the upgrades.

INFO:

Tracer rounds and smoke. Helps you see where the bullet goes and for good effect. Upgrade system. More attacks and weapons, as I've said... better map design and expanded rooms. An underwater effect.... well I apologize if that's been done before, but it was new to me... since I guess you can't swim in Doom, I made camoflaged walls to go with the floors and stairs going down, giving the illusion you are getting deeper under the water, which then takes your guns away and returns them after you make it out. same will be done with a lake of blood. you can also collect real photos during the game. more ideas.

Wielder - Guard who melees you with a katana and shoots you with a pistol

Radiate - Scientist who punches you and throws syringes

There will also be good (and bad) POWS. Good help you in some way, and bad try to trick and destroy you.
Also an enemy that morphs into enemies, an unseen spirit that uses a gun to fire at you, and just launches explosive barrels at you. so all you see is a floating hazard. and an infant with bombs strapped to them trying to blow you up. Yeah, it's much different this time around and I hope others enjoy it. It will be fucking crazy. Pics at some point this month.