Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

Troll/trick the player maps

Oh hellowe there! If you're bored like me, how about make a map where the player is the chump in your house of mirrors WTFville. Maybe stuff like:

A teleport that just crushes you and doesn't warp.
A door where everything BUT the door opens.
Lava where lava is the only non-damaging place.
(or any tricky stuff, not just stuff like that, cram as much as possible in your map, high density trickery, or whatever)

Not really stuff where its like... oh I have a pistol and 5 million bullets and 1000 imps to tediously kill through a window. Not like overly tedious or map breaking or impossible stuff (can be hard, but impossible is dumb, and no malicious trolling like uh a virus in the wad or something). But devious/tricky/clever/'you bastard'/wtf/etc stuff.

Like you know?

Yeah like you are Loki, the god of mischief, and the map is your universe and you constantly point right at the players face and go LOLOLOLOL

you will love DooM IIII!!!
awesome single player megawad by all your favorite competitive dm players !!!
it is pretty difficult but if you're just chillin you can put on your iddqd goggles and storm through
use prboom with complevel 9. zdoom is cheating
definitely check out maps 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 20, 26, 28, 29, 32 you will love them !!!!
check it out http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/doomiiii.zip

Foodles said:

how about a map where the monsters are the pickups and the ammo/health try to kill you?

IIRC allhell had medikit mimics that turned into archviles.

If you want trollmaps browse /idgames for wads made by CONDUCTOR.

The best example ever of this is right at the start of Mock 2, with the "fake-fake-3D-bridge".

First time I saw that, I laughed my ass off.

One time, I was blasting through "Tricks and Traps" and none of that shit even tricked or trapped me. John Romero had logged into my game as a spectator, and he kept saying shit like, "THIS will TRICK YOU!" and "TRAPPED you NOW!" and kept trying to get me to do shit that was not in my best interests.

walter confalonieri said:

Nice. My favourite part was the 32-units wide descending hole before the exit which you can't pass through (until you do something). My least favourite part was the voodoo doll telefrag. Is it possible to legitimately jump out of the windows without jumping or cheating?

thanks, and yes, there's a way to get out the starting area without cheating...

Spoiler

push the rigth panel in the north section of the main room after the entrance, it will activate a lift on the windows

walter confalonieri said:

thanks, and yes, there's a way to get out the starting area without cheating...

Good to know that it's a fair trolling at least. :S

Looking forward to playing that Walter (and the other recommendations). I'll probably make my own before looking at any others so I'll have a clean slate without being influenced (but I did already see the winner of the 'crappy map contest' which was great).

A marked blue key door that requires a red or yellow key for example.

A room with many switches, only 1 switch is correct, all the other switches set off nasty traps (twzone MAP23)

Upside down map, for example sky on the floor, crates hanging from the ceiling, or liquids on the ceiling.

scifista42 said:

From the non-obnoxious maps supposed to troll the player, I think this one does it rather well: Whispers of STARTAN

Something like 30+ copy and pasted rooms textured in STARTAN2.

And there is this comment in idgames which I clearly did not write. But found it funny. The real PCORF writes with upper case at the start of his sentences.

"this is one of those rare cases when the sequel (or a tribute, in this case) is better than the original. i'm so awed that the only thing i can say is 'i wish i could map as good as iluvpuppies'... -pcorf"

I just fda-inated walter's (fixed version) map anyway even though I never started my own (I think I'd want to do zdoom w/ acs scripting but now might just put that off for a long time or never do it.. I'd probably rather tinker with wad binary files with python instead of do that).

First attempt fail, 2nd attempt looked at doombuilder for the part I couldn't figure out, 3rd attempt, did that again:
http://speedy.sh/YcKKj/trollnightcore-1-fda-cl9-ggg.zip

It was fun and successfully trolled me (by the way I have no soundcard no so couldn't hear sounds).

also lol @ voodoo doll instead of romero head for icon of sin.

gggmork said:

I just fda-inated walter's (fixed version) map anyway even though I never started my own (I think I'd want to do zdoom w/ acs scripting but now might just put that off for a long time or never do it.. I'd probably rather tinker with wad binary files with python instead of do that).

First attempt fail, 2nd attempt looked at doombuilder for the part I couldn't figure out, 3rd attempt, did that again:
http://speedy.sh/YcKKj/trollnightcore-1-fda-cl9-ggg.zip

It was fun and successfully trolled me (by the way I have no soundcard no so couldn't hear sounds).

Thank you for the demos!