Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rebit

2 minutes Voxelized Stuff in v256 mode

esselfortium said:

rebit, these threads are quickly becoming very spammy. Please either consolidate your voxel conversions into a downloadable package or a single post, set up an offsite webpage to index them and link to it here, or otherwise just not post 4+ threads with individual posts for each of your countless "2 minute conversions", many of which are interchangeable.

Hello, i will not make more topics anymore, im thinking to create just a topics as a categories, and inside the topic post the conversion as you can see. Can i proceed like that ? Its ok ?

rebit said:

How do you meaning 'many of which are interchangeable.' ?

Well, BTW i will create a offsite to post the package. Thanks for the space.I hope the community like the voxel models.

Many of these are very similar to one another, like the seven different airliners. It would be more useful and less spammy to either collect them into packs of similar models, or to create an index on a separate dedicated website that would be more geared towards searching for files.

Lycaon said:

You are making a great contribution, thanks

Thanks, i will not post the models here, i will create a offsite to the models. I will post the new location soon as possible.

esselfortium said:

Many of these are very similar to one another, like the seven different airliners. It would be more useful and less spammy to either collect them into packs of similar models, or to create an index on a separate dedicated website that would be more geared towards searching for files.

Ok no problem, but i think this is very subjective, because for example if you want to create a airport map, maybe you want to put different company airplanes :) .

Ok, im doing a new site to publish the stuff, im afraid about my hosting, i dont trust because is free and have 500 connection limitation. :(

Megalyth said:

These are just the accents that my hellish cathedral was lacking. My waiting room is far more comfortable now that visitors have chairs to sit on rather than bloody pikes.

J/K these looks pretty good.

hehe, thanks !

QUICK HOW-TO:

Pré-Requeriments:

-> GZDOOM BUILDER skills, you should know how to add a sprites and how to set a new item on 'things' menu.
-> GZDOOM BUILDER configured and running nice with your wad or packs (.pk3).
-> Sketchup Skills
-> ZDOOM or GZDOOM configured

============== DOWNLOAD STUFF ===================

1 - Download the trial Trimble Sketchup PRO version (only PRO, because this version has the .3DS export feature, other free versions dont have), you can use the old version Sketchup 8 PRO, works fine too, im using this version.

2 - Download SLADE 3 tool from Mancubus ==> http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads 13.8 mb

3 - Download GZBUILDER Editor from DRD Team ==> http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/ 8.7 Mb

4 - Download the command prompt tool 'poly2vox unlimited' version from ==> http://bit.ly/poly2vox or http://bit.ly/poly2vox-unlimited
( i found this version from this thread; http://bit.ly/polytalks), this tool converts .3DS files with textures to a voxels to more than 256 proportions ! I will talk about this later...

5 - Download the command prompt tool 'kvfoffset' ==> http://bit.ly/kvxoffset , ( its rebuild and center the pivot points of the object its completly necessary )

6 - You can use the SLAB6 tool from Kevin to preview your model. ==> http://advsys.net/ken/slab6.zip ( not works to open all of converted .kvx files, it will crash sometimes, but inside the Doom Engine the objects will work fine.)

================= START YOUR CONVERSIONS ================

7 - Put poly2vox in some folder, you can set this folder on your windows path to call the tool anywhere in command prompt, if you dont know how to do it put poly2vox.exe on the c:\windows\system32 folder;

8 - create a folder to your conversions, example 'c:\voxel'

9 - Extract kvxoffset.zip to your folder (ex. c:\voxel)

10 - Open Sketchup PRO, choose a model from 3D Warehouse and download the .skp file to any folder, open it. (see recommendations above...)

11 - On Sketchup PRO menu export the object to .3ds to your folder.

12 - open 'cmd' as a administrator, and run poly2vox command, example: >c:\voxel\poly2vox object.3ds MY01A0.kvx /v256 (you can use /v512 or /v1024, more resolution results in a larger .kvx file, sometimes less is more !)

13 - now run kvxoffset.exe (on time only), this will fix the pivot center of object.

14 - Now upload your new model to your .PK3 or .WAD file with SLADE3. You can use this voxel template pack to know how it works: http://bit.ly/carpack

15 - Open your GZDOOM Builder insert your pack as a resource, create a demo map, and insert your new VOXEL MODEL with THINGS Menu.

16 - Run your map with GZDOOM or ZDOOM (F9), cross your fingers :) (at least , as i know, other source ports not support voxels yet, like the good zandronum :( ). I believe in the near future zandronum will have voxel support...

17 - Done !

18 - If your model looks fine, UPLOAD to the DOOM VOXEL FACTORY website, join to this new community: http://doomvoxelfactory.hol.es/

================ Recommendations ==============

--> Do not use the integrated '3D Warehouse -> Get Objects' inside, Sketchup ! Open the website https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/ and download the .SKP only files to a folder and open on Sketchup, because the integrated Warehouse runs too slow.

--> Choosing models: for fast and best result conversions, choose a full 'photo texturized' models, or 'photo real' models, you will have better results than 'colored' models that doenst have textures. Example: http://bit.ly/car-photo-texturized, if you choose a just colored object you will be very disapointed with the result.

--> Not make .KVX (voxels) larger than 2 mb, i think the size matters, but you can try, i dont have lucky with voxel larger than 2 mb because they are very heavy.

regards rebit

Thanks, it's good to have a set of instructions like this for anyone who wants to put voxel models into their levels. I think that's far more useful than doing a massive dump of pre-converted levels - teach people how to do it themselves. After all you said yourself that these only take 2 minutes to convert.

fraggle said:

Thanks, it's good to have a set of instructions like this for anyone who wants to put voxel models into their levels. I think that's far more useful than doing a massive dump of pre-converted levels - teach people how to do it themselves. After all you said yourself that these only take 2 minutes to convert.

the revolution began ! hehe

Why im in love with Voxels ?

Look, i create this street getting the road texture, creating a small rectangle in Sketchup and apply. Export and convert to voxel and woalá.

Guys, do you understand the possibilites ? Easy custom maps with rich graphics.

I'm not sure what this road achieves that wouldn't be done more easily and more flexibly using a texture, given that it's entirely flat. As a model it can't be affected by lighting in the same seamless way that a sector floor would, and can only be arranged in pre-built chunks rather than in a freeform fashion. What's the benefit here?

esselfortium said:

I'm not sure what this road achieves that wouldn't be done more easily and more flexibly using a texture, given that it's entirely flat. As a model it can't be affected by lighting in the same seamless way that a sector floor would, and can only be arranged in pre-built chunks rather than in a freeform fashion. What's the benefit here?

Yeah, i know about this behaviors, im testing the possibilites. Its a limitation about voxels in the engine. But its a cool way. I want to do a entire map in this form to view the final result...

I think the method has advantages and disadvantage, i need more time to list all the disadvantage and advantages. But traditional edition is for people that have solid Editor/Doom knowledgment. I still do not fit in with this category ... I'll forward. :)

So whose models did you steal to make all those voxels? I wouldn't use something in my map if I didn't know where it came from.

That bit in the video where you twiddle with the volume settings was awesome.

Aliotroph?: Presumably from here; the terms of service are here. You'd want to check that more closely before using any of the content, but at a quick glance, it seems that this sort of use of them in wads is OK, but storing a bunch of them in any sort of online warehouse is not.

Grazza said:

That bit in the video where you twiddle with the volume settings was awesome.

Aliotroph?: Presumably from here; the terms of service are here. You'd want to check that more closely before using any of the content, but at a quick glance, it seems that this sort of use of them in wads is OK, but storing a bunch of them in any sort of online warehouse is not.

Thanks for the warning, I'll check the sink, but I really adding that it's okay to use the templates provided there is no profit. As for storing the Voxelizide model there needs to interpret deeper license.

rebit said:

Thanks for the warning, I'll check the sink, but I really adding that it's okay to use the templates provided there is no profit. As for storing the Voxelizide model there needs to interpret deeper license.

I found this article in Sketchup FAQ too.

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000049

Its clarify all the questions.

And here:

"Access the world’s biggest repository of 3D models
You don’t have to build everything you need from scratch. Hundreds of thousands of objects—from vehicles to furniture to people—are available for download from SketchUp’s 3D Warehouse. Use them as placeholders or as starting points for your own assets."

So it's always good to be informed before taking certain positions.

In the Architetural scene this is very natural, several manufacturers of furniture, chairs, tables etc, offers their catalogs in 3D just for architects to use in their projects of interior decoration. What is not different to the games when we develop a scene with 3D objects, we can instead use these objects catalogs if they are public in 3d warehouse.

http://www.sketchup.com/case-study/sketchup-game-modding

I was very thoughtful tonight, and just looking for new alternatives to this work I'm trying to do.

I will not convert pré-existent objects from 3D warehouse anymore, why ?

1 - Yes, Some people may find rather that convert pre-existing models can be an inconvenient thing when it comes to the authorship of the work.

2 - As i said in this thread (in Recommendations 'quick-howto' 08-09-2014), the conversion of a 3D model to a voxel works better if the model is fully texturized, the most of the 3D Warehouse Sketchup are just colorized, then the search for fully textured models which give a good result of conversion is quite time consuming, it ends up being quite frustrating whether to have the model you want.

So, i have another idea !

There is a software called '123D Catch' from Autodesk (that have a 3D warehouse too), thats convert 2D photos into 3D objects. The generated models are perfect to be voxelized, because are fully native texturize ! My objective now is to convert real stuffs into voxels ... So stay tuned in this thread if you like this idea.

The '123D Catch' can export the new model to .OBJ format, but not in .3ds format. So...

On the workflow of this job, i will work with another software called 'MeshLAB', to reduce the number of polygons to make the object more soft (kbytes). Meshlab is perfect and very easy to do this task. It can read .OBJ and exports in .OBJ again.

WORKFLOW:

1 - Take pictures of objects or places...
2 - Transform the pictures into a 3D object or SCENE with the '123D Catch'
3 - In 123D Catch Export the object to .OBJ format
4 - Import the .OJB into the MeashLAB, optmize the object (remeshing, simplification, reconstruction, delete the trash), export the cleanup to .obj again.
5 - Import the .OBJ into the Rhinoceros 5, adjust the size and centralize ( AXIS, pivot )
6 - Export from Rhinoceros (Rhino 3D) to .3DS format
7 - Convert the .3DS with 'poly2vox' (v256 or /v512 or less ex. /v350 /v300)
8 - Run kvxoffset.exe to automatic adujst voxel pivots.
8 - Done...

(I Learned how to use MeshLAB watching this video.)

Let's see if it works...

Take a look at what's to come:

well i going to admit its impressive what voxels can achieve. and while this its kinda of my interests (for future projects for example) my main concern its how voxels affect map perfomance.

i honestly dont find a good idea to make things like walls or houses with voxel because it can be so easy to do with sectors and probably better stuff can be done.

i see voxel to be better for stuff like trees, machinery or even things like cars you have show with these pics. but for things like roads, house, walls. im like eh... sectors can do it better.

But putting that aside, my main concer with voxel its: they will slow down the map? i barely play few wads, and about zdoom wads, well i never have tried one with voxel on them, so im not sure how they affect the map. but looking at your pics:

voxels can slow down the maps like things do when you have many of them in a single map? (take for example groove.wad i think its the wad were really looks like an amazing forest, but the high amount of tree things made the map suffer a bit of lost of FPS and slowdowns)

or the most complex the voxel its... the most slowdown you get in the map?

hope i can get some answers because thats my concerns with voxels if they get spammed in the map :)