Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzzball

PSX / Doom64 Door opening sound!

Today whilst eating some delicious chocolate desert and watching Pokémon I came across a curious thing.
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/pokemon-season-14-black-and-white-episode-4

Oh found it on Youtube~ (Just make sure you turn off 3D, no idea why the uploader has it on)
Skip to about 4.40 ...doesn't that sound familiar?

Of course we know Doom used many samples from a generic sample bank used by other games and TV shows but this is the first time I've heard a higher quality sample from those ports!
Just in-case anybody is after a higher bit-rate sample of the door opening sample...here's your chance!

Some of the PSX/64 sound effects are also stock sounds and occur in many places just like their PC counterparts. This is especially true of the door sounds, which I've heard in many other places.

Quasar said:

Some of the PSX/64 sound effects are also stock sounds and occur in many places just like their PC counterparts. This is especially true of the door sounds, which I've heard in many other places.

I did figure- just took me by surprise I guess~!

Someone should really do a mashup video of all the places Doom's sound effects have appeared in TV, films, etc. There are a whole bunch of them. The Doctor Who episode "The Impossible Planet" for example contained several sounds and even had a Doom-like plot that suggested they may have been deliberate. I also remember hearing demon sounds in a battle scene in one of the Chronicles of Narnia films.

EDIT: Here's a good start:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoomDoors

I don't know HOW I just remembered this, but there's a Rugrats episode called "Mega Diaper Babies" (or something) and at the end they kill a giant Angelica robot which makes a Doom door noise. Another one for the compilation :)

Final Fantasy 8 has a couple of Doom/Heretic sounds in it. i recall one of the growls from the Sabreclaw's death animation is used in a number of cutscenes showing monsters, and the Doom door sound is used at a cutscene in disc 4.

The door sound is also heard during the intro to the boss Gohdan in The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker around 0:30 and 0:35.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tElR7vYqDn0

The General Series 6000 isn't that generic to be honest -- sound samples used in every-day television, movies, and games are taken from this sound library, and to add some more information, the original sound is called SPACE DOOR: ACTIVATE.

God The Pokemom anime today is so terrible.

I remember a scene from Daria when that was on MTV that played the music for PSX Doom's Limbo map.

Drilbur said:

I remember a scene from Daria when that was on MTV that played the music for PSX Doom's Limbo map.

Are you sure it wasn't the sound sample used in Limbo?
I've heard the sound sample from Limbo used in the 2006 remake of The Hills Have Eyes, not the music that Aubrey composed using the sample.