Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Worm

Maps that require the player to make a choice?

MAP05 of Scythe X gives the player a choice of chaingun or rocket launcher, with bars blocking off whichever one you don't pick up. I thought this was an interesting idea and it's not something I've seen in many maps. I know there are lots of nonlinear maps where the player has a choice of routes, but I mean specifically cases where the player has to make a choice and the other option is locked off. It could be a simple choice of weapons, or different pathways opening up, or different monsters being released depending on what the player does. A map where you can't see or collect everything all in one go.

Anyone know of maps like this, even if it's only a few minor elements?

Map 11 of Unholy Realms gives you the choice between a plasma rifle and an SSG.

Grime by Death-Destiny has a kinda watered down version of this. At one point, you have to choose between a Rocket Launcher and a Plasma Rifle; the one you don't choose, however, will be made available to you later in the level.

In Sacrament map04 you have to choose between two routes in the second half of the level. When I played it I thought it was a pity that I couldn't explore the other part.

Fragport had a "choose weapon" level, I don't remember the number. Not a fan of these, I'd rather have more weapons = more variety in action. But I guess there is some fun in trying to decide which weapon is better for the situations presented.

MAP30 of NOVA: The Birth is a decent example: there's 5 different routes and you can only traverse three of them in order to get the keys.

I think D2INO MAP30 deserves to be mentioned, because its progression is strongly affected by your choice, which of the 7 paths you take first. None of the paths ever lock up, though, so it's a little different than the examples above.

DTWID e2m2 has a choice between plasma or rocket launcher at one point. Granted, if you're skilled enough you can find a way to get both.

Memfis said:

Fragport had a "choose weapon" level, I don't remember the number. Not a fan of these, I'd rather have more weapons = more variety in action. But I guess there is some fun in trying to decide which weapon is better for the situations presented.

there's actually three levels with this in Fragport, all designated as arena levels. (25-27 i think)

I really like when games force you to make choices like this (do I pick this weapon or that one? do I upgrade this power or that one?) but yeah then there's the issue of variety, which I also consider important. due to this I have struggled a lot with potential weapons mod ideas haha

I think MAP08 of pc_cp have 2 consecutive choices towards the end of the map where you get to choose between ammo or soulsphere/megaarmor.

EDIT: For some hilarity, maybe the most well-known: MAP30 of ksutra :)

The one that immediately comes to mind (for me) is E3M8 of Serenity which gives you the choice of "easy way" or "hard way" for the finale. (The "hard way" dumps you out at the beginning of the "easy" route.)

I remember that gimmick being used in The Artifact by Paul Schmitz, in which in the first map there's a part where you must choose between three weapons. Pick one and the other two are locked off.

Vile Flesh Map 30 requires the player to choose between either a BFG or a megasphere. However, a player who knows better would go for the BFG because there are already soulspheres and megaarmor in the level, which basically replaces it.

Probably not as relevant as the ones already mentioned, but in Eternal Doom MAP03, when collecting the skull keys, you have the option of choosing in which order you are going to acquire them (once you pick up one, the other two get locked). It maybe isn't really a "choice", since you actually need all 3 of them to exit the level, but it's interesting, I think.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, at the end of MAP05 you are presented with 4 teleporters: two of them finish the level, the other two are traps. I think this counts more like a choice than MAP03.

I distinctly remember MAP30 of 1994 Tune-up Project forcing the player to choose between an invulnerability, BFG and megasphere at a critical point toward the end of the level. It's a terrifically testing level, and an inventive spin on the endgame Icon trope.

Salt-Man Z said:

The one that immediately comes to mind (for me) is E3M8 of Serenity which gives you the choice of "easy way" or "hard way" for the finale. (The "hard way" dumps you out at the beginning of the "easy" route.)

Wow, that hard way has an amazing trap with barrels. :) Only now I understood how to get out of there.