Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Back to Saturn X E2

MAP02 - "Underwater Explosions" by Tango

Chilled out exploration map, well i say exploration - you are pretty much led through it by the nose. But it has enough interesting scenery and quirky scenarios to keep your attention. And lots of explosions, which are always good for a laugh, especially with the first vile encounter where the whole room self destructed. The fighting was mostly quite sedate, but with a few hairy moments (particularly if like me you decide to stand too close to exploding barrels). All survivable with some quick thinking though, for some reason the hardest part for me was jumping across the spindly platforms to the exit. Overall its a cool map, if a little linear for my taste.

MAP01

15 minutes + my first death's time. I'm not even gonna upload the FDA. This layout bites. We're on MAP01 here and were already in the filler stages of the megawad. Ouch.

Got confused way too many times because the theme of this megawad seems really confused already. Still telling monsters to get out of my stations after long-ass E1 is over. I didn't mind the berserk punching, but I guess the "boring" part of it lies in that most of the adversaries are about a quarter mile away at the time they're awoken. I appreciated the challenge but I was frustrated with how many monsters were already lurking in corners instead of staged appropriately for an ambush so I could hear their growling to warn me that something is in this all-112 lighting labyrinth as I meander through. Speaking of not being able to see, the visuals are very weak here, in that there are numerous wide open featureless plains and unorthodox LONG hallways. The 32 orthogonal grid pattern is very exposed here too. New textures don't save your megawad. Interest must have taken a serious hit if this was chosen to introduce the megawad.

I think someone mentioned along the lines that this was the hardest map to get working under vanilla constraints. I fancy the solution must have been to take all the interesting stuff out of it. TheCastle said it best, no one cares how much time or effort you put into something. They care if it's good.

Hope the remaining maps are better. The number of mappers seems to have shrunk in this episode which isn't a great sign, especially in addition to the unprecedented credits to Essel for pretty much every map.

MAP02:

Jesus, 8 minutes plus a bunch of deaths. This is gonna take longer to play than it did to make. I'm glad I started reviewing these on Day 2 because I don't think I could sit through another one today. Great looking map, certainly refutes my contention about the 32 grid in the previous map. The theme still looks confused to me. I think in part due to the art assets. Tango did a pretty good job with the mayan temple theme despite using metallic borders and modern bricks. Looks like the aged gritty prehistoric temple stuff he wanted were missing, as I've not seen much more than a thousand variations of clean bricks, metal borders, and Doom 2 hell texture knockoffs and some heretic/hexen influenced stuff. The demanding artsy inspiration for this episode is lacking so far. I was expecting some kinda cosmic alien collision with space stations in a sort of Shores of Hell sort of way (The Shores of Space?) but I don't know.

Something tells me the gameplay fucking sucked in this map, which is why the barrel gimmick was injected in here. Lets you fight tough monsters with shitty weapons and no ammo over long distances. Sounds great on paper, but in practice smells like 1994, and totally out of place in an obviously-not 1994 map, or even a map where the design of it complements the choice in gameplay. The map is really grand looking, and feels long as hell. Reminds of the way purist described Opus Magnus-syndrome in community projects. Curious to see how Tarnsman will defend it considering the lashing he gave D2INO. Like the previous map, giant open spaces and few traps with scattered monsters. Dew has given me a lot of shit about UAC Ultra 2 and for what it's worth, I see a lot of the same principles being used in the wad so far, but not in a better way, and not even for the same reasons.

I hope I can make use of this SSG in the next map because it was worthless here.

That obvious bait. How about instead of channeling your rectal devastation from BTSX being released the same time as Plutina or whatever your problem is you have, and actually provide real criticism (especially since you generally do have outside the box gameplay ideas that really are worth considering) and not flat out factually incorrect trolling, created exclusively by your incurable rectal pain, like "especially in addition to the unprecedented credits to Essel for pretty much every map" (Episode 1 has far more Esselmaps and maps edited by Essel if you're going to complain about the Essel show) and calling a EIGHT minute map a tedious slog suffering from "Magnum Opus syndrome".

Grow up.

Edit: Just to point out how wrong you are. There are 14 mappers in BTSX E1, there are 14 mappers in BTSX E2. There are 11 maps with Essel's name on them in BTSX E1 and only 6 with his name on them in E2. (And E2 is even across 2 more maps so you get EVEN LESS ESSEL!) Seriously I don't mind the criticism but actually be correct about things that are quantifiable correct instead of channeling your inner 14 year old girl. We get it you hate Essel.

Super quick "reviews" that no one should care about:

map01: Sorry, but this map sucked ;) (wink). I was stoked to try it out as I saw Joshy's name among the mappers here, but nah...too long (I don't mind long map01's, but this one really did not do it for me), too boring looking and too...boring. I really think E2 would be much better off without this slog- and borefest. Two points for the ship area (even though I dread "real" stuff in Doom. Like...ships). Seriously guys, axe this map entirely and add a short, quick, fun one (but keep it moody) 2/10

map02: Better. Gimmicky, but actually fun, in a mindless kind of way. Very easy, but hey it's still only map02. I must agree with whoever said that the barrels were kind of out of place in the setting, but whatever. Loved the architecture and the layout. 6/10 (would have gotten a 7 if it wasnt for the tedious and non threatening caco-"swarm".)

map03: Awesome stuff here. Loving the layout, architecture and texturing here. Gameplay too. Nothing more to say. Oh wait...yes. The music sucked. What the fuck is up with that happy sounding brass stuff in a map like this? 8/10 - without letting the music choice deduct from the score, even though it should)

The scores are just for fun, and relative. I give map03 a 8/10, but compared to my all time favorite maps it would not have gotten that high of a score.

TBH, I'm flattered that folks find MAP03's architecture suitably Spenceriffic. Means I didn't stray too far from the original author's roots (albeit unintentionally), which is a good thing. :D

And now, the Xasercommentary continues!

- - -
MAP02 - "Underwater Explosions" by Tango
- - -

As a forewarning, not all maps are going to have nearly as much fun exposition-y bits as Shadow Port, so don't be surprised if my post size varies. 'Tis not to say that any particular maps are less interesting than others -- just not all of them were shadowported, to use are not-so-newly-coined term. ;)

Tango's "Underwater Explosions" falls pretty firmly in the didn't-need-overhauling category, since most of the revisions n' changes fell into the usual realm of feedback-and-fix that most maps get... once it actually became a BTSX map, that is. Turns out's it DID get a big do-over since it was actually based on an older map (same concept) from a canceled Tango megawad, meaning it looked quite a bit different at the time. Have fun recognizing the area from the screenshot... ;)

Bonus feature, from the mouth of Essel himself:

esselfortium said:

Heh, the main theme was still my textures. Just much worse ones

I'm not very sure how I feel about the direction this thread is going.
But let's keep moving and see if there are any feuds between the players.

Honestly, I'd suggest some pruning. This thread was going well until now, let's get it back on track.

40oz said:

Dew has given me a lot of shit about UAC Ultra 2 and for what it's worth, I see a lot of the same principles being used in the wad so far, but not in a better way, and not even for the same reasons.

Dude, stop taking it so personal. Count to ten next time you start thinking about how we collectively screwed you over and ruined your life. It's making you angry and then you post lies about me. I never gave you shit about UAC Ultra 2, I was your playtester! As far as I can tell, I was civil and constructive with you, because it's not my habit to be dismissive to people I'm trying to help. I wrote a small essay on those map kernels you sent me for DM evaluation and later I even told you I liked the UU2 beta despite some flaws I saw. I just didn't get to send you another essay I had written for the beta, because I wasn't aware of the fucking Columbine Massacre Day deadline. And you were right not to tell me, because I'd tell you to stuff it up your ass.

dew said:

I never gave you shit about UAC Ultra 2, I was your playtester! As far as I can tell, I was civil and constructive with you

Dude don't lie, I found this in the post helled thread.

The Ghost of dew past said:

i actually like the wild non-linear layouts even though i often don't know where i'm headed. it feels alien and disturbing and quite unique. the dark uniform texturing helps... but often too much. map04 in particular is an evil maze and you take away the automap... i found myself getting lost in a cleared map, because i took a wrong turn. this would be utterly catastrophic in nightmare, heh. i think some maps would benefit from a beacon, a standout visual element to reference my position from. the blue key pillar in map05 works excellent, although that map is a bit smaller and simpler than the previous mazes. if you don't want to touch architecture, perhaps add some outstanding colours to what you already have in "crucial points".

i'm okay with UV not being cutthroat. it is a misconception in the doom community that UV has to strain even the most skilled among us - the goal may be to create an easier wad overall, or use -solo-net as the next difficulty, or even (in your case) to enable nightmare gameplay. that's more of a note to the others, not you, of course. :P i described the UV gameplay as sort of dbimpactish, but the more i think about it, that's not correct - uacultra2 e1 feels like visually bleached and darkened, monster-filled fava beans on steroids.

Defending 40oz's outside the box gameplay decisions? Generally praising the uniqueness of his design? You monster!

No seriously, 40oz you need to get over whatever vendetta you have because you are acting like a villain from a teenage highschool romcom. "Oh my god Becky did you see that Essel guy, his shirt was so stupid, and that dew guy can you believe he walks with both his legs!? Like oh my fucking god, I can't believe I have to breathe the same air as them," that is you right now.

That's really disappointing because you're a talented guy who has worthwhile opinions about mapping that genuinely add to the community and offer a different perspective that most people haven't thought of. Unfortunately, you elect to hang onto every tiny aggression that you feel has been committed towards you and channel that rage into a spiteful butthurt hurricane of bitching as if Essel, dew and myself popped up in every project thread of yours to mercilessly shit on you for no reason other than some deep-rooted systematic lynch mentality driven by an insane bigotry over the fact that you have two numbers in your user name or something equally nonsensical and in no way grounded in reality. I know people with Borderline Personality Disorder who are less paranoid and irrationally angry at other people than you. Stop preventing yourself from making some really worthwhile and needed contributions to the doom community over some petty bullshit. Kthx.

Aren't baits supposed to be ignored, or something? Whatever, not that I care, feel free to carry on.

Underwater Explosions

Man, i sure do like me some tango maps. not even slightly disappointed.
this map feels great for me as a map02. shorter, barrel-based combat with some nasty archvile encounters. had no problem with that whatsoever.
I really liked the structure here, its differently shaped in a good way and the texture are beautiful.

Great job tango, wish you could make some more for this episode.

Regarding map03, actually you're mistaken if you think it is my texturing! My involvement with the project was very brief, I spent about 2-3 weeks working on layouts until I settled on that one. The entire thing was textured in GRAY7, since I usually block out shapes and then texture afterwards... but then given the massive library of textures in btsx I felt overwhelmed and gave up - because in addition to needing to get used to a new aesthetic, I would have needed to do a major amount of length/height tweaks to get everything to align well.

So I got all depressed and told essel I was going to focus on other endeavors, and he insisted on having a copy of the very unfinished map.

So Xaser got a completely untextured, no-gameplay, geometric blob basically... and he managed to theme it out just as I had imagined (better even), and I had never told him what the intended theme was or had any conversation with him actually. My original vision was actually a deathmatch layout in a Heretic/Quake theme... so if he was able to convey that and you were able to feel that... Xaser is my god.

Map 3 - Wings of Thorn

This is probably my favorite map so far on pistol start, though I didn't really like it on my first pass in the continuous playthrough. I think this is one where knowing where to go makes a big difference - I missed something on my first way through and must have traversed the map a half dozen times before I figured it out. On the second pass, knowing where to go, it went by a lot quicker.

There aren't any real standout fights except for right at the start (berserker! punch everything!) and right at the end (rocket launcher ahoy!), but both of the fights are great fun. I agree with Memfis that the red key trap / thin platforming section felt kind of out of place. I didn't manage any of the secrets on this try, though I could have sworn I grabbed one on my continuous playthrough.

So, BtSX E2. I doubt I'll stay on board for the whole month, for a variety of reasons.

To be honest, I didn't like E1 much at all, aside from that one cool map in the middle of the wad that had all of the neat close-quarter teleporter traps.

And, rather than going through the three maps I've played so far individually, I'll simply say that so far, E2 isn't faring much better in my estimation. Yes, it's beautiful. But... where's the action? Aside from one cool trap in map 01 (that HK in the narrow hall with the Chaingunner at the end to act as misdirection), the action here has felt almost completely perfunctory; like an afterthought. I don't necessarily mean that it's too easy, or that the body count is too low; but it feels like a chore, like "oh, here's some monsters to grind through". Compare this to Ultimate Doom E2M3; sure, no one is going to say that map is hard, but it feels like it means it, at least in the early going, being under-armed and chased as you are. When BtSX E2 goes "low ammo", it doesn't chase you; it just says "here's a Berzerk, here's some mid-tier trash, get to it". When it tosses a horde of Revenants at you for the finale of a level, you have the entire unpopulated map to retreat to, if you want it. It almost feels as though the maps have combat because that's expected of Doom wads, not because the authors were particularly enthused about creating combat scenarios.

Possibly even more damning, the levels just don't feel fun to move around. Maps 1 and 2 are all cramped hallways and odd angles that have "interconnectivity" mostly in the sense of "the hallway loops back on itself sometimes, and we make you backtrack here and there". Map 3 was a big improvement in that regard, but the small areas, short sight lines (this is a big one; look at the classic id maps to see how having long sight lines to distant areas of the map can make the movement feel better), and odd angles everywhere still make it just not have that "fast exciting Doom movement feel".

EDIT: Just tried Map 4, I'm definitely done with this wad. The fact that a map this awful could make it into a public release... wow. Just wow.

"This seems to me to be a very high quality project with a respectable amount of imagination, good visual and audio direction and interesting, novel map layouts. Time to enable my pedant powers so I can dismiss the whole WAD for a perfunctory and unconvincing reason!"

Vorpal said:

Regarding map03, actually you're mistaken if you think it is my texturing! My involvement with the project was very brief

Whoops... Okay then, good work, Vorpal AND Xaser. I beg your pardon, Mr. X-Ray Laser!

yakfak said:

"This seems to me to be a very high quality project with a respectable amount of imagination, good visual and audio direction and interesting, novel map layouts. Time to enable my pedant powers so I can dismiss the whole WAD for a perfunctory and unconvincing reason!"

Funny (and also bitter at the same time) thing is that he's not that far from the truth for the most part... And for the record - having good imagination (albeit it's mostly justifiable artwork-wise, ironically) and good visual/audio direction is not enough for the map(s) to be great. In the end, everything comes to this Pandora's box ever towering above everything else - The Gameplay. If the map is not fun to play - it won't be redeemed neither by nice looks nor by good audio track.
...However, I disagree at least about m04, so I'm genuinely curious about Cynical's more elaborate thoughts on that matter. What's so bad about it? Maybe tomorrow, too, since now it's Sept., 3rd.

EDIT:

Xaser said:

it looked quite a bit different at the time

Forgot to say that it looks much better than what I saw in Underwater Explosions. Sigh once again.

yakfak said:

"Time to enable my pedant powers so I can dismiss the whole WAD for a perfunctory and unconvincing reason!"

I dislike almost entirety of btsx e1 for the exact same reasons. It was just nice looking maps that are boring for me. With that said, I've already gone through whole e2 and enjoyed it much more than e1.

MAP03 Wings Of Thorn

Basic short map with a tonal shift from the base-like structures of yester-episode to a more earthly citadel-like structure. Nothing too hard with enough ammo as well as quite a few free berserk packs. I used berserk when I can, like on the demons before the YK, as well as the hellknights after the key. Red key had an interesting shotgun ambush, and the locked door opened up to plenty of revenants. Pretty neat but kind of forgettable for me.

Might as well join in, haven't done much before.

MAP 01

Berserk starts always make me smile, and this was no exception. The architecture of the big ol' base was a good solid area for all forms of low-tier monster combat. Decent ambushes and monster count for the first wave. Good level.

MAP 02

The music carried my interest all the way up the stairs of the beginning, and then I was greeted by barrels. Dozens of barrels just waiting to explode near the fowl creatures next to them. I had a few deaths in the water area where you had to wait for the lift, but that's only because I had a rough time against the Revenants without the Super Shotgun. Thankfully, the berserk pack managed to save me time and lead me to one later. Archviles? Feh. Arachnatrons? No problem. Good level.

MAP 03

Berserk starts, alright. Unfortunately, Revenants are too random in their choice of shooting or punching you, so I had to resort to the Shotgun. I noticed an abundant amount of Green Armor thrown about the castle, with Hell Knights close by. Took me a solid ten minutes to find the keys after fighting through each ambush. Gave me a decent challenge. Good level.

MAP03 - "Wings of Thorn" by Brad Spencer/Xaser

Another fairly chilled out map with occasional nasty surprises, though generally they are less nasty than they initially appear. The first thing i did was to charge through without shooting anything just to see what would happen, and was surprised to end up surviving. The map itself doesn't do the monsters many favours, there is a forest of cover from rev missiles and most of the opposition is perched awkwardly on shelves and seem more afraid of falling off than letting you live. There is also an abundance of health, so the main source of challenge (other than navigating the complicated layout) is being chipped away at by the gauntlet of snipers. The yellow key fight killed me first time, annoyingly I had just finished dispatching the trio of revs when i was blasted from behind by a mancubus I didn't even realise was there, he could have joined in sooner and helped me with those revs the cheeky sod. The red key trap looked scary, but for whatever reason the chaingunners were reluctant to open fire, teetering on their tiny podiums, so other than the hassle of falling off the catwalk and going back up that wasn't so bad. The rev horde at the end were sitting ducks thanks to rocket launcher and doorway, so in the end it felt like the monsters were having a hard time of it in this map. I almost felt sorry for the PE guarding the exit. I'm not complaining mind you, no reason every map or encounter has to be ingeniously lethal, sometimes you just wanna kill stuff in a nice looking place. And it is very nice looking, love the archways in particular.

There's a HOM on one of the chaingunner pillars, bit hard to see here:

MAP03 THESE BROKEN WINGS OF THORN

more fun with new btsx themes. this map comes from mr. brad spencer but the only spencer levels ive played are atomic tomb and his alien vendetta stuff so this feels very different. apparently a lot of this is due to the attachment of xasers name, im sure for the best. its an interesting dichotomy between a very tight, claustrophobic layout considering the playing area and being very open what with all the windows and cages that expose you to so many different avenues of attack. once i got up that wooden spiral of imps / revenants to the courtyardish place it seemed like every step i took woke up a handful of baddies until i gave up and started clearing them in earnest. since its mostly imps and revenants, it isnt much of a chore, but the sheer volume of stuff headed my way after that leap had me jump right back to take stock.

its actually a pretty light map in spite of feeling dangerous. only two encounters really stand out in my mind. that yellow key fight was pretty cool since it set you up against three revenants while two mancubi took pot shots at you from afar. the other is the commando trap in the red key room which felt annoying at first since i had to trip their elevators a couple of times to take them all out but if they were just straight up revealed theyd be too easy to just sigh and snipe. its pretty diabolical since the most likely reaction someone would have at first is probably duck for cover the first time the chaingunners lower. the skeleton horde in the exit hallway is far too straightforward unless youre some kind of babby that cowers at the sight of a revenant. the pain elemental is just laughable.

the map design is phenomenal. i love the layout; its irregular, lets you move in just about any direction you like once you hit the courtyard, and really plays the part of some alien, gothic fortress. every aspect of the castle feels tailor-made, like a completely novel creation. it's almost unreal, a map composed completely of unique elements, that fits together so well. i am going to hate to pick a screenshot, between that courtyard with the wooden dock and arches or the starting room's waterfalls and exit way doors. a fantastic little adventure. it could really use something better than a pain elemental in that exit room tho

rating: one unique snowflake

MAP04: Dirty Water (9/10 for the first half, 5/10 for the second half, overall 7/10)

This huge map is divided into two halves. The first half is an expansive, freeform temple-style area that's reminiscent of a less cramped version of The Brotherhood of Ruin, with Mesoamerican-esque friezes and runic inscriptions to add to the feel of a ruined civilization. You solve several puzzles to gain access to the blue and yellow skull keys required to progress to the second half. Combat is relatively sparse but effective, and the music with its flute leads is quite lovely, calling to mind the Chizra levels in Unreal. The areas where you get the keys are cleverly constructed, being right next to each other yet being accessed from opposite sides of the map, and having an interesting black/white contrast with the texturing.

Once you get the two keys, however, you progress into the second half, which is a major disappointment. The second part consists of a bland, repetitive underground maze with uniform texturing, few landmarks, and large sections of the maze serving no apparent purpose except to be dead ends. Also if you like standing in one spot and plasmafying a Mancubus until it falls over, this maze will satisfy all your "stand there and hold down M1" needs.

MAP03 - "Wings of Thorn" by Brad Spencer/Xaser

My inner child is screaming and jumping with joy in this one, it's a map so beautifully done, that it made me look around and explore just to stay a little longer in this joyful piece of heaven (i'm a fan of BTSX, deal with it).

Demonologist said:

Whoops... Okay then, good work, Vorpal AND Xaser. I beg your pardon, Mr. X-Ray Laser!

Funny (and also bitter at the same time) thing is that he's not that far from the truth for the most part... And for the record - having good imagination (albeit it's mostly justifiable artwork-wise, ironically) and good visual/audio direction is not enough for the map(s) to be great. In the end, everything comes to this Pandora's box ever towering above everything else - The Gameplay. If the map is not fun to play - it won't be redeemed neither by nice looks nor by good audio track.
...However, I disagree at least about m04, so I'm genuinely curious about Cynical's more elaborate thoughts on that matter. What's so bad about it? Maybe tomorrow, too, since now it's Sept., 3rd.

Without saying too much now, I'll just say that it is a really good demonstration that body count or even difficulty isn't the problem with these maps; the problem is still in the layouts and in the overall thing placement.

MAP03: Wings of Thorn
I liked this one. It's on the shorter side, which I always appreciate, and it's tight and compact without quite feeling cramped. It's also the only map (so far) that I've managed to get 100% everything. The most memorable encounter was the red key trap with the shotgunners. I'll agree with those who cite the Heretic vibe; I didn't think it while playing, but now that it's been said, yeah, I can totally feel it.

kmxexii said:

play some fucking doom

Will continue.

MAP03

This map took me 9:35 after a couple reckless deaths, but mostly because I was searching for secrets. This map, as others have said is significantly better than the previous two. For starters, there's a drastic increase in the number of gothic-deathmatches looking textures here, which made me wonder why these weren't introduced earlier on to personify the episode. (There was no shortage of techbases in E1, so the idea of techbases creeping into E2 was annoying to me) The monster faces on the texture look kinda silly at times but the window panes, stained glass and artsy borders are very nice.

There were some questionable thing placement in places but in general I had a good time. I think a lot of it has to do with the scale being considerably reduced as compared to the previous map, which:

1. Permits more detail
2. Makes monster encounters much more focused
3. Shortens the time it takes to figure out where to go

I wouldn't suggest maps in this style throughout the entire megawad, but it does make me think that the way to go is to use small-medium sized rooms with compacted zigzaggy hallways, with the occasional HUGE area to contrast. This map is the closest to that sorta 'formula' so far.

The problems I had with thing placement in this map were the Chaingunners in the Red Key trap, which kinda force the player to kill one at a time, and drop down to the water and ride the lift back up, repeating the process until they're all dead.

Chaingunners require the player to look for a place to hide, and on an extremely short zigzaggy catwalk, the most favorable solution is to just hop off. I think MAP24: The Chasm does it better because there was much more catwalk to cross, and falling off had damaging floors + teleports that set you ALL THE WAY back to the beginning, so the choice was much more complicated. I'd suggest either more trivial monsters, like lost souls or imps or something, or to scrap the the catwalk idea in favor of a large platform to move around on, perhaps with a pillar in the middle to use as cover.

The other annoying part were the Pinky Demons in the water just outside the Yellow Key, who sucked up my autoaiming priority and made me blow myself up with the rocket launcher -- the best given weapon for that particular situation. After my first death I found a way out there BEFORE getting the yellow key, which minimized the problem, but if the demons were preserved in a teleport ambush or a sunken floor waiting to raise this wouldn't have been a problem.

Otherwise, this map left me with better feelings. Reminded me of a modernized Requiem/Scythe 2 hybrid, which I'd think is the best I can expect.

My first Megawad Club in a while -- I'll be playing on HMP since I've been taking a break from Doom and my reaction times have gotten pretty slow.

MAP01

Getting a berserk pack right off the start is always fun. Loved flying through the vent punching away at the imp and chaingunners. After that bit, the map kinda becomes a blur and I can't remember too much specifically. The ship looked great and then I saw the name, haha.

MAP02

Loved this one. The moody start, the barrel gimmick, everything about it. The first arch-viles got me on my first attempt, second went much smoother when I just rushed to them and finished them off.

I was actually a bit disappointed that the hellish scene you can see from the window at the start was the end of the map and not just there for detail/atmosphere.

MAP03

Pretty fun, I was afraid it'd be another low ammo situation when I picked up the berserk at the start but I had plenty. My biggest complaint about this map is that it was almost confusing:

- I stumbled onto the switch to lower the lift entirely by accident, then almost didn't press it because everything there was yellow and I almost assumed it needed the yellow key.

- Pressed other switches with no idea what they opened where.

- Found the switches to open the last area entirely by accident, since nothing really drew me to them.

"Almost confusing" because I somehow found all this stuff without any trouble, but I could see myself running around for minutes staring at the automap like an idiot if I hadn't.

-edit-

Almost forgot, I agree with darkreaver on this map's music:

darkreaver said:

The music sucked. What the fuck is up with that happy sounding brass stuff in a map like this?