Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

WAD searching tools?

Are there any tools that can simplify looking for certaing WADs? For example, I'm looking for a five map wad, I know that it's on my PC but I have almost 4000 files in the "wads" folder. Well, I'm sure that it was made in the 19xx but that's still almost 1000 files to check. If only I could filter all five map wads somehow...

Memfis said:

Are there any tools that can simplify looking for certaing WADs? For example, I'm looking for a five map wad, I know that it's on my PC but I have almost 4000 files in the "wads" folder. Well, I'm sure that it was made in the 19xx but that's still almost 1000 files to check. If only I could filter all five map wads somehow...

IIRC you use Linux? This should give you a list of all wads in the current directory that have a MAP05 lump but no MAP06 lump.

for i in *.wad ; do if grep -q MAP05 "$i" && ! grep -q MAP06 "$i" ; then echo "$i" ; fi ; done
Search is case-sensitive, if you have files that end in .WAD instead of .wad then you can start with for i in *.wad *.WAD instead.

No, I tried Linux for a short while in 2007 or so but soon I realized that mostly I was trying to make it as close to Windows as possible, so I figured I might as well just go back to XP. :D
Is there something similar I can do in Windows?

Probably, you can get grep for windows but I don't know windows command-line loops/tests very well. Maybe someone else will know.

MTrop's mapcount will also tell you how many maps are in a wad (though not which maps), you can run it like mapcount *.wad > wadmaps.txt then open up wadmaps.txt in a text editor and search for " 5 maps". (The space before 5 is to make sure you don't get matches with 15 maps etc.) Or use it with grep even, mapcount *.wad | grep " 5 maps"

If you thought it was worth it just for this (or if it's a problem that comes up often) and no one else knows the windows for/if syntax here you could install https://www.cygwin.com/ and get a Linux terminal in Windows...

I think this is possible via Total commander:
Find Files: *.wad -> Find text: map05 -> Start search -> Feed to listbox -> repeat Find Files -> Find text: map06 with "option Find files NOT containing the text" checked -> Start search -> Feed to listbox.
As the result there is files itself (not list), which you may copy to another place for futher analysis. But this method also will find wads with only map 5 and others not containing map 6 (1 2 3 4 5 32 for example).