Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

yeah these are pretty good quality, better detailing than most of the monster sprites. I think the actual monster design needs redoing, honestly, but redesigning the other monsters is more important by far.

They really looks pretty pretty sweet. i think urric would really appreciate it this effort but kinda busy lately with personal life ATM.

anyway. this guy really did an amazing work with it!!!

Nice work. It looks like the current sprites probably suffered from some bad palette conversion.

I've asked the admins to take a look at fixing his account. Looks like he's awaiting email confirmation?

I believe raymoohawk's account should be fixed now, so hopefully we'll be seeing him on this thread soon :)

This kind of colour adjustment is tricky and I expect very time consuming. I believe a lot of the hand-drawn sprites (ie. the pistol and shotgun zombies, and the mancubus combat slug), could be significantly improved if someone with the right talents dedicated a bit of time to them. That could be a really important contribution to the project: the zombies in particular are some of the most prominent enemies encountered in the game and a source for some of the most common criticism of the project.

See this thread for example. Fredrik improved the player sprites but the others didn't get done.

hey guys, i´ll post the cybie as soon as i finish all the frames. if you want i could also give editing the other monsters a shot, but i didnt notice them as looking very incomplete, except for the archvile

that would be awesome! honestly i like how you improved it.

Urric is working with the archvile as far i remember, he told me only need to make the resurrecting frames and the pain frames, because he already got all the walking, attacking angles made, as well the dead animation. but since he is kinda busy with work he wasnt able to finish the archvile. but i told him if he can finish it he said he would end some of his unfinished projects when he get a little break.

i remeber seeing his eye headed archvile concept, and i really liked it, hope he can get to it again
ill continue uploading the cybie frames on zdoom in case someone over there wants to further edit them, and when theyre all done ill bring them here. ill also give the archno a try

i changed the legs to tentacles, hope its not a problem :)

wow i didnt realize so many monsters where placeholders, im working on this guy, if you want i could submit it when its done

when i mentioned urrics archvile i did not mean the one currently in the wad, but the monster that had a large eye ball as a head, i thought that one was pretty cool

raymoohawk said:

hey guys, i´ll post the cybie as soon as i finish all the frames. if you want i could also give editing the other monsters a shot, but i didnt notice them as looking very incomplete, except for the archvile

I think the Archvile and the Baron/Hellknight are the only remaining monsters now that are still all just placeholder sprites.

Feel free to work on improving whatever you like. The enhanced spider looks really nice. I was just suggesting the zombies because they're some of the most prominent monsters in the game and one that people most frequently complain about. Fredrik posted this thread a while ago where he improved the player sprites. The zombies were done by the same artist as the player sprites, but they never got the same attention and improvements.

i could give the zombies a try, but i have doubts about the one with the grey head, is he wearing a mask that obscures his features or something?

I think the player sprite is most important at this point. It is rather decent at the moment, but is constantly used in multiplayer.

FreeDM will look very polished with a touched up player sprite.

those sprites look awesome im already loving your work! and the effort you put on this!.

i will try to contact Urric for at least to get the finished archvile sprites so once he get the rest of the sprites done, he can post it in the forum.

raymoohawk said:

i could give the zombies a try, but i have doubts about the one with the grey head, is he wearing a mask that obscures his features or something?

Not sure what the zombie is supposed to have on its head. It might be that it's supposed to be a helmet of some kind but I don't know.

Here's one of the original concept sketches in case it's helpful.

And I agree with Cato, those improved zombies already look awesome!

Catoptromancy said:

I think the player sprite is most important at this point. It is rather decent at the moment, but is constantly used in multiplayer.

I disagree. The player sprite has already been retouched by Fredrik - see the thread I've previously linked to. There are lots of other sprites that are in much more need of touching up. The player is the one set of sprites in Freedoom that is already in a pretty decent condition.

But that said, I'll leave it to raymoohawk to decide what he finds most fun to work on. He's doing awesome work!

this is an attempt at the helmeted version, i tried to make it fit with the style of the player without giving it the same design

and this is an edit of the shotgunguy

another doubt, do the baron and knight have to be similar to each other like in doom 2? i know thats the way they are right now, but is it really neccesary
http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=20475&mode=view
3 rotations of the cyber down! expect more soon

The hellknight was a very rough placeholder. I just ran the baron through a recoloring script to make a much better placeholder.

The baron/hk is missing many frames and overall design is odd. Both could be entirely replaced and different from each other.

the walking frames of the cyber are done, next is the more difficult parts, ill try to upload at least the attack frames later today
http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=20484&mode=view
http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=20485&mode=view
could someone test how they are looking in game?

this is a preview of the attack, im not really happy with it, but i guess it will work for now

a manc test, did not go as intended
http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=20486&mode=view
the death animation is done!