Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

You know I’ve actually thought about it, I like the lost soul in freedoom a lot more than the original one, but there’s no reason it should be a flaming skull when considering the other monsters. That said, I don’t want to submit any full replacement until I’ve reworked the monsters that are already in freedoom, in the meantime maybe someone else will submit something more appropriate
EDIT
some more frames!

also some unfinished previews, just minor edits of the imp and of the monster concepts i showed earlier

Just an idea, could one of the human enemies have its head explode in the regular death sequence -- or maybe a split up effect similar to the ones in Resident Evil 4 or Carpenter's The Thing movie, but without the tentacles?

Also, the Imp Snake got boobies, neat! :D

thanks for the warm reception everyone! ill add fabians suggestian for the zombie death to the shotngunner. are the changes to the imp okay? or are they unneccesary? since im going to be very busy i was thinking about working on easier edits like that one first

raymoohawk said:

are the changes to the imp okay? or are they unneccesary? since im going to be very busy i was thinking about working on easier edits like that one first

I like it! It adds a "Medusa" touch to the Imp which IMHO fits it quite well.

thanks, in that case the next set ill work on will be the imp, i know i had said that i would do the shotgunguy first, but im very tight on time right now
anyway this is a preview of one of the minions that will carry the mastermind, this is not meant to be the baron of hell or any other monster, it will be one of the "legs" of the mastermind

i know its not my decision but i would prefer if the current cyber stayed as cyber.
EDIT
i checked the cyber in game, and noticed an error, the aspect ratio makes the cannons look stretched, ill correct that later

C-competent monster sprites in freedoom????

These are great, last I played the only decent one was the demon replacement. This is probably one of the most important things for the project, so good job.

I believe it was rendered from a model, but unfortunately I don't think we have the original model or any higher resolution version :(

Hambourgeois said:

C-competent monster sprites in freedoom????

These are great, last I played the only decent one was the demon replacement. This is probably one of the most important things for the project, so good job.

Say what you will about the old sprites, but you have to admire how the project managed to include all of them in a usable state (except the arch-vile, which is still missing some sprites). I remember the good ol' days a few years ago when half the monsters would just say "resource not found" or something along those lines; I had a bigger beef with that than the zombie sprites.

That being said, I appreciate the work that Raymoohawk is willing to do for the project. With a project like Freedoom, there is always room for improvement (even when it reaches 1.0 at some point, there will probably still be things that can be improved)... and while I am a bit lacking in the ability to contribute to it myself, I would like to say that I appreciate everything everyone has done to get Freedoom to its current state, and I hope that it continues to keep going strong.

I already use it as my IWAD(s) of choice for pretty much all the PWADs and mods.

Thanks to all of you for making my Doom experience more enjoyable.

edit: firstpost++

i posted my thoughts about the freedoom monsters/redesigns here:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=15465

The design of most of the freedoom enemies is really bad imo. The silhouettes don't describe the enemies properly at all, and styles are mish-mash.

The zombieman and shotgunner are decent and interesting designs, though. With raymoohawk's (fantastic) rendering, they will be perfect for the wad. The imp should take a note from doom and have a similar body structure to the zombies, but since our freedoom sprites have more interesting poses than the doom ones, there's room for a more interesting redesign. The current one is much too big and an incomprehensible body shape.

For the imp I suggest making a lankier and scrawnier design, which would help represent the low-tier nature of the enemy. Some references to show what I mean (only for the body shape):
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nDraeIR1X-E/UDd6bA_CKRI/AAAAAAAABRA/oi7hZ1MOQBI/s1600/Goblin-MarcusDublin.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QQbAC4gfeNo/TOhUv3F6GWI/AAAAAAAAAgs/EFMXv-b4NWQ/s1600/11-20-goblin-detail.jpg

If I get some time I'll try to put together a concept.

raymoohawk said:

im glad to know that theres people who actually use freedoom as their default iwad :-)

I would. The only thing that kept me back so far was the sprites quality. :)

jmickle66666666 said:

For the imp I suggest making a lankier and scrawnier design, which would help represent the low-tier nature of the enemy. Some references to show what I mean (only for the body shape):

Please no. Such gnomes tend to look ridi-culous (Edit: why is that censored?) and escpacially the ones you posted remind me too much of annoying low-tier enemies of Diablo 1.

truth is the imp sprite is among the ones i liked the most since i first played freedoom, i know it looks out of place because of its weird shading (i guess thats because it came from a 3d model) but i think i can make it look more like the other sprites. i know its a bit big, but i wouldnt want to see it go. i suppose it could be converted into a baron, but remember the imp is one of the most common enemies, and a very versatile one at that, it would better to have a memorable design for it, rather than one that said im annoying low tier

i honestly like more the improved imp than just "a gnome like" imp. also female serpent imp? i like it more. i cant wait to see the project with all the sprites finished.

frithiof said:

Say what you will about the old sprites, but you have to admire how the project managed to include all of them in a usable state...

I was just being saucy ;)

Monster sprites are probably the most difficult and important art assets. The main problem with most of the existing ones is that they look like they were scanned from drawings/taken from 3d models but never optimized for the palette or on a pixel level. A lot of the designs are competent or better, but unrefined (I think the caco and baron/hellknight replacements are the only irredeemable ones, and the pain elemental is suspiciously lazy). On a personal level I am not a big fan of the spindly leg and waist with big feet silhouette that all of the player and zombie sprites seem to have, but that is nitpicky and personal taste. The cyberdemon, for example, had a good design, but poor implementation in-engine up until the updates.

more polishing of the imp, man some of the frames make a horrible base, but overall im enjoying this

the first rotation is done!
(shading will be imroved later)
arachno progress

thanks jbr!
guys i was thinking that maybe we should have more unisex sounds for the sounds that are shared by different monsters, that would allow to have for example male and female zombies or a male knight and female baron. im not propossing we do it now of course, just bringing it up because of the imp