Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

yeah im having a hard time with the walk, ill probably redo the second and fourth frames from scratch

in any case here is a slight redesign of the octi and the other one. i think im finally happy wiht the design, but the shading im not convinced yet

opinions? advice? fredrick?

well i'll not advice about the octy thing because well dont take me bad but i dont like this monsters but about this "iron mutant bird" he is very cool now :D need to see he moving now.

thanks :) and dont worry youll be able to shoot the bird guy (relatively) soon

here is another frame showing the suck puppet

i actually had a very funny idea for the death animation, the metal part of the cannon would break open, and a fully bodied but dwarf reptile would fall down from it, crashing head first in the floor then as it looks up the rest of the bird guy falls on it crashing it

a preview of the small lizard, courtesy of Maz Hades

http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=22566

:) its gonna be either the hell knight or baron, by the way guys i changed my mind about samantha (the little lizard) getting crashed, it should just sit down by the corpse of the bird guy

I thought maybe the helmet could fall off and land on her, so she'd end up sitting under the helmet. But that way you'd see the bird guy's face, so maybe not. Perhaps she could just fall out of the gun and land in a pile, like a Mimiga from cave story?

thanks voltcom ill try to do it

meanwhile another walking test of this guy, or as guardsoul had dubbed it the helltoucan :P still need to do some fixing here and there, but i think this design is final

advice?

raymoohawk said:

meanwhile another walking test of this guy, or as guardsoul had dubbed it the helltoucan :P still need to do some fixing here and there, but i think this design is final

Wow, just wow! I wasn't convinced of this guy's design from the stills, but seeing it in motion changed my mind. Really good job, well done, thank you!

for the life of me, i cant get this stupid animation right :(

on the other hand im glad you guys are liking the other guy

raymoohawk said:

[PIC]

Looking very nice indeed. This one has come a long way. Your first attempts at it looked good to me but now it's fantastic!

raymoohawk said:

Cool! Will you also adjust the sprite for its projectile?

thanks guys :) i guess my love of trilobites comes across strongly in my monsters

Fabian im not planing on redoing any of the projectyles

another preview

reworking the animation and shading, sadly i had to thin him down, but he now fits the actor dimensions much better

raymoohawk said:

reworking the animation and shading, sadly i had to thin him down, but he now fits the actor dimensions much better

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag334/raymoohawk/reptilewalkgif_zpshjejs9gv.gif

Very nice, except for guess what? His hands. IMO, they change position too fast again. Although I admit, it's not that bad, it might be even OK.

scifista42 said:

IMO, they change position too fast again.

To be fair, there's not really a whole lot you can do to portray motion with only a 4 frame loop.

raymoohawk said:

proper arm movement seem to perpetually escape me x(

Hm, I don't think it's bad, I don't see a problem in it.

Sodaholic said:

To be fair, there's not really a whole lot you can do to portray motion with only a 4 frame loop.

The trick is to create a focal point of pixels that don't move much between frames, which would be the face on most sprites. This draws the eye and keeps it there, meaning you can get away with some seriously dodgy shit on the rest of the animation.

Look again at the zombie guys from doom during their walk cycle; notice that the entire body changes from frame to frame, yet the face stays mostly static. You can actually use the shit resolution of the sprite to your advantage, creating a pseudo motion blur during the walk cycle.

hey could someone give me a blank baron wad (without any of the sprites in it) so i can freely add and remove my sprites using slade (its for testing them in game without having to wait too much). i read from tutorials about how to use inheritance and that stuff, but alas im to dumb to undesrtand even that

raymoohawk said:

hey could someone give me a blank baron wad (without any of the sprites in it) so i can freely add and remove my sprites using slade (its for testing them in game without having to wait too much). i read from tutorials about how to use inheritance and that stuff, but alas im to dumb to undesrtand even that

Here ya go, son :http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ru4vu85exlyu4r/Haymoorawk.wad
Stick 'em between S_START and S_END and Bob's your uncle.

sorry to bump, i have a hipothetycal question, a few pages back we had a conversation about how freedoom monsters animations could have a different frame count than doom monsters (or something like that, im not very bright and could have misundertood), does this mean that hypothetically freedoom could have smooth animations like those in smooth doom built in, no mods required?