Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

well many of my monster edits havent been finished yet. ill be able to put more time into this once vacations arrive

The actor still bleeds regardless, so that concept won't work without modifying the actor itself, which is beyond the scope of Freedoom.

I suggest some kind of creepy alien spore that hangs from the ceiling.

Sodaholic said:

The actor still bleeds regardless, so that concept won't work without modifying the actor itself, which is beyond the scope of Freedoom.

Or, instead of freeing the critter, killing it.

Health bonus looks great, but the armor bonus I think suffers from the same problem as the ones currently ingame: you can't really tell what it's suppose to be/do. Notice how in Doom and Quake 2 the armor bonuses are objects that imply protection(helmet, shield). While the new armor bonus looks good, it's a bit too vague.

i thought about making it an armour piece, but it would be weird if the character keeps picking up the same piece over and over again i think. the shield idea could work tho, i might give it a try

raymoohawk said:

heavely edited freedoom health and armour bonus

[

Those look like they would be awesome in blasphemer or zaubuer.

zauberer being so early in its development would benefit from having sprites that are specifically done for it i think

Looks good. It's much closer to the style of the rest of the game now.
I fixed the Keen replacement, so now it should fit perfectly.

raymoohawk said:

It looks like the fleshy head ought to protrude more on the front sprite. On the other angles it looks bigger than the gun and it stretches diagonally to wrap around it; on the front sprite the gun is larger.

DragonMorpheus said:

It seems like that little green thing is slowly becoming Freedoom's mascot.

Let's call it a Moomaz.

That one's actually called Keesha (like Keen), but the race is called the Zamanthytes. I appreciate the sentiment behind your suggestion though, as I'm sure Ray does :D
I'll stick these here for Ray to animate when/if he feels like it

I think the red goop should be dripping down in the frame where it shatters and the critter fall. It's a bit weird that a pool just suddenly appears.

Yeah, it needs to have a few more frames between the shattering one and the dropping ones, I just haven't been able to do them yet.

put a gradient map adjustment layer on the mancubus' skin, the previews below are untouched, i think it works pretty good, what do you guys think?

i would still edit the guns and mouth of course, and maybe add a few highlights and blood

EDIT

it could also help me make the coloring on the zombies more consistent. the current ones look to diferent from frame to frame.

here is a quick preview

ill probably give it a better looking gun too

I really like the design of the FreeDoom mancubus replacement. It looks horrible, in a good way.

It's like the creature has a fully limbed skeleton restricted inside a loose "sleeping bag" of flesh and skin. The skin restricts the movement of the limbs making its movement awkward and pained, and the limbs pushing against the skin and distending it means yet more pain. The face perfectly reflects this tortured existence.

However, the sprites have always really, really needed a touch-up so I'm delighted to see you turning your attention to them.

thanks, thats the way i see them too, maybe they where originally more normal looking creatures, but got mutated or something

i wish i'd known about adjustment layers earlier, you still need to make manual adjustments, but it helps have much more consistent colors

i think ive finally settled on the updated design for the combat slug

here is a preview

i was thiking about adding it a small pool of blood below its body, what do you guys think?

also did the frame loose espresivity?

No he is good in your way also i dont like of the idea about pool of blood, i like his stile, he is a living "ball/cube" that have flame thowers :D

raymoohawk said:

i was thiking about adding it a small pool of blood below its body, what do you guys think?

Nah, wouldn't make sense because then it should leave a trail of blood behind it, like a snail's slime trail, and that's not something that is possible to do within Freedoom's technical parameters.