Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

Hm. It'd be easier to make a call on that if we had some frames where he's facing away. If his tail takes up enough soace to need detail then, I say go for it.

still not sure what to do about it

btw, does revenant have 1 or 2 pain frames?

EDIT

ive grown frustrated with the proportions and posture i gave the serpentipede so i am redoing it from scratch yet again

raymoohawk said:

btw, does revenant have 1 or 2 pain frames?

One. Caco is the only one that has two for some reason.

Edit: On a side note, does anyone have any news of Urric's archvile? Someone said he'd finish it a while back, but I haven't heard anything since

thanks for the info guys

i havent heard about archvile either. i hope it does get completed since it has a really cool design

1rst frame of what i hope will be the final imp design, this one is finally size correct, but i still need to iron out some details that still dont convince me

ive decided to give up on making the sphere replacements, my imagination has been pretty dry as of late. if you guys want you can revert the powerups to the previous sprites, or if you want i can talk with eriance to see if the sprites linked below are from scratch and to see if he will let us use them

if you want, maybe you could talk to eriance about the sprites if you could use them. but I always thought there would be reptilian powerups as the doomsphere guardsphere and turbosphere from zandro

I really like those spheres (not sure about the colors, though). Are those from DE? If so, I think we already have permission to use them. A while back he said it was fine if Freedoom used stuff from it.

I'm not sure whether it was for anything or just a select few assets, however.

they are from DE, if you guys want i can talk to eriance, to see wich sprites we can and cannot use (always better to triple check, just in case)

i was thinking that maybe we could also get his double shotty, rocket launcher and bfg added (weve had to edit the uac logos out of them, and possibly replace hand tho)

raymoohawk said:

ive decided to give up on making the sphere replacements, my imagination has been pretty dry as of late. if you guys want you can revert the powerups to the previous sprites, or if you want i can talk with eriance to see if the sprites linked below are from scratch and to see if he will let us use them

Wouldn't these be too similar to the original Doom assets, even if made from scratch?

I know it's a bit of a cliche already, but maybe the powerups should symbolically represent their function? E.g. the invulnerability powerup in the shape of a shield or a helmet, the invisibility maybe a figure fading in and out? That, or the Strife or HacX style approach with items like some medical serum that boosts the player's health, an energy shield generator, cloaking device etc.

raymoohawk said:

i was thinking that maybe we could also get his double shotty, rocket launcher and bfg added (weve had to edit the uac logos out of them, and possibly replace hand tho)

More resources is always nice, however I'd say that the current SKAG design and the one based on the old Plasma Rifle are also quite neat IMO.

about the first point, yes they are very similar to the original ID software concept, but im not in a condition to make new replacements right now, and i want to put all my focus on the monster sprites. if things could go my way, it would be as you propose, and each powerup would be a different thing, reflecting its effect.

about the second point, the eriguns are more better looking than the old skag design, or anything in freedoom. they just need some parts to be replaced, since they have uac logos and gun names in them. i should also point out that i only want to add 3 eriguns, not replace the whole weapon set

MrFlibble said:

Wouldn't these be too similar to the original Doom assets, even if made from scratch?

What, just because they're spheres with faces inside? I don't think id Software holds or held any sort of copyright over the concept of "spheres with faces in them". It's something that's been around for decades in all sorts of fictional works.

BaronOfStuff said:

What, just because they're spheres with faces inside? I don't think id Software holds or held any sort of copyright over the concept of "spheres with faces in them". It's something that's been around for decades in all sorts of fictional works.

I think it has more to do with giving Freedoom "it's own identity", so to speak. I like the idea of having special items as powerups instead of orbs, but for the sake of keeping Freedoom as compatible as possible with custom pwads, I think having Spheres would be ideal. Some mods give the powerups sparkly effects and give them the bobbing effect that Hexen items have, which would look weird if they were non-magical types of items. And mods like Hideous Destructor that have mechanics like shooting god spheres to spawn archviles and killers orbs that use the blur spheres sprites would look weird.
Also, that sphere with the skull face on it looks sick

but wouldnt it stick trough the roof on gzdoom and other sourceports with hardware renderers if i let it the previous size?

anyways got eriance's reply. of the spheres we can use the yellow and orange ones, but not the red one because its an edit of the soulsphere. the weapons are from scratch and we can use them (they still need edits to remove thins like uac logos or displays)

i suggest we use the ones below

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag334/raymoohawk/eriance%20stuff/DE_BFG9k2_zps92986bd6.png

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag334/raymoohawk/eriance%20stuff/DE_SSG2_zpsacc0615f.png

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag334/raymoohawk/eriance%20stuff/DE_RocketLauncher2_zpse5bfc4c2.png

would anyone be willing to edit them?

Give me a moment, I'll cover that UAC nonsense up.

Edit:
SSG:

As you can see, I started greying out the shells but immediately lost motivation. I can resume that in a while or someone else can do so, if they've got nothing else to do.
RL:

BFG:

thanks for the edits baron :)

i think maz may do some further editing, to make the animation vanilla compatibloe

meanwhile moar from arborix, this time animatic for octi death

do you guys have suggestions as to weather anything has to be changed about it?

FAEK EDOT

almost forgot, if the reptiles do get reverted to spheres, maek sure the star sphere and blusrphere are the ones brought back, the other two where too crappy and should be replaced with the eri ones. also the reptiles at least deserve getting atticed

I don't like the idea of replacing the existing Freedoom weapons with the DE weapons. I don't think the Freedoom weapons suck so much they need to be replaced in the first place.

What about Sodaholic's digitized missile launcher?

For the BFG edit, are you going to recolour the energy in blue to match previous SKAG versions?

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I think it has more to do with giving Freedoom "it's own identity", so to speak. I like the idea of having special items as powerups instead of orbs, but for the sake of keeping Freedoom as compatible as possible with custom pwads, I think having Spheres would be ideal. Some mods give the powerups sparkly effects and give them the bobbing effect that Hexen items have, which would look weird if they were non-magical types of items.

I was thinking, maybe keep the colours (especially considering this observation) of those items but change the geometrical shape? A rotating cube or a pyramid/prism?

MrFlibble said:

For the BFG edit, are you going to recolour the energy in blue to match previous SKAG versions?

Nope, or at least I'm not going to, because dynamic lighting/decals. Looks fucking dumb to have a big blue energy blast emit green light and I'm having no direct part in perpetuating that! 8D

MrFlibble said:

I was thinking, maybe keep the colours (especially considering this observation) of those items but change the geometrical shape? A rotating cube or a pyramid/prism?

Could work, it's worth a go at least to see how such items would look ingame and if they're as easy to pick out as their original counterparts in chaotic situations.

Gez said:

I don't like the idea of replacing the existing Freedoom weapons with the DE weapons. I don't think the Freedoom weapons suck so much they need to be replaced in the first place.

I agree. The Freedoom weapons are more distinct from Doom's than the DE weapons, too. (I do think Eriance has some weapons that would fit in well with Blasphemer.)

Know this isn't entirely the purpose of the topic, but have a programmer art concept of potential power-up design, specifically for the invulnerability:

Basically, a hollow regular polygon ( probably unique to each powerup ) that rotates around an icon relevant to the powerup - in this case, a shield with eyes, as it shields the player from damage and changes their hud face's eyes ( at least, it still does that in Freedoom if my memory's correct ). I figure the polygon would have a sort of neon hologram shading while the icon in the middle could have more physical shading, although my lack of art skills doesn't show that really well.

I figure this design could keep the very ambiguous nature of how the powerup actually works while still easily carrying the standard Doom powerup color schemes, plus they wouldn't really look odd floating around or sparkling. Not to mention having different polygons could make the powerups more easily differentiated in low color contexts ( such as in a ZDoom map with a desaturated area, or when played by a color-blind player ).

I don't think I'd be able to actually handle the sprites for these, but I'd figure I'd toss the idea out in case you guys like it.