Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

dont, i've been doing slight adjustments to those sprites, so the ones in the thread are already outdated. besides i am almost done with the pesti, i just have to shade a few of the death frames and change the footing on the pain rotation and i think it would be better to update all those things in one go

Hype!

I thought you stopped working, seeing how you didn't say much much about progress.
I hope you fixed the eyes in the yellow skull key though.

Are you also working on Urric's Arch-Vile too? Or at least plan to?

Can't wait to see that monster in action!

These new sprites are very well made, the old ones looked like trash and turned many people away from freedoom. I have one question though, are these drawn with the 4:3 aspect ratio in mind?

@uhbooh

thanks, glad you like them. i try to keep the aspect ratio in mind when doing the sprites, tho it occassionaly slips my mind. with monsters specifically i check in photoshop how good or bad it looks when stretched to the doom aspect ratio, and if it looks too bad i re-edit it, but if its passable i leave it be

@voros

i have not touched the urric vile. some months ago i contacted urric and he told me i could work on the sprite, but he wanted to try doing as much of it as he could himself. unfortunely i have not received any reply from him, even after multiple attmepts at communication

as i previously stated the pestmester is almost done. its taking a bit more time because i decided to simplify the armor a bit after consulting with torridgristle

anyways some more random junk, including a properly sized berserk pack

also trying to make the eri cube into proper size, i made it look a bit goofy tho XD

also here is an embarassing attempt at the exploding barrel

Spoiler

i like the design, but the first explosion frame, wich is the only one i made, is pure shit, the other two are unmodified from the current explosion

Baron. Definitely the baron.
The hellknight will the robosaurus monster.

The light armor vest looks sweet!

raymoohawk said:

also trying to make the eri cube into proper size, i made it look a bit goofy tho XD

http://orig14.deviantart.net/5b5b/f/2016/257/0/6/bosfa0_by_raymoohawk-daho66u.png

I think the boss cube is already good, the only issue is that it looks bad on that one plutonia door, maybe a custom patch can be used for that instead.

Voros said:

Baron. Definitely the baron.
The hellknight will the robosaurus monster.

I thought it was the other way around.

pesti is the baron replacement, the green lizard is the hellknight replacement

when i was first designing them i wanted it to look like the pestmesters where the masters of the nukeptyles (thats the name of the green lizard) and thats why the nukies do not attack the pesti

about the spawncube, your suggestion is probably a good idea, but i still want to give the resizing a quick try, and if it doesnt work, we can keep the regular sized version and use the patch thing

raymo most of the sprite of you do there was awsome but about the health bonus i'm still dont liking of it maybe because i play so much complex doom, so they look like a portable stinpack...

I see the berserk pack has a face. Strange.

nukeptyles

Lol, I don't even know how to pronounce that. Nor do I know if fraggle is willing to give it that name.

it's pronounced nuke-tile, it is a just a combination of nuke and reptile

i remember arborix proposed calling it nukezilla, wich i also like, but that may cause copyright issues, since it already kinda looks like a certain japanese kaiju

also, i get to name my monsters

raymoohawk said:

it's pronounced nuke-tile, it is a just a combination of nuke and reptile

also, i get to name my monsters

Ahh, how about removing the p and making the y into an i? That way, players can see the reptile reference of the name easily, and pronounce it properly.

And I have no objections on what you name your monsters. They are yours.

raymoohawk, as usual some great designs! I especially like the new shield charge :)

The barrel is also neat, I'm not sure why you don't like the explosion frame. I guess it could be polished a bit but considering it does not stay on the screen for long, I would not expect it to be a big issue.

Voros said:

Ahh, how about removing the p and making the y into an i? That way, players can see the reptile reference of the name easily, and pronounce it properly.

Heh, I just thought that it could actually be cool to give monsters Marathon-esque alien names :) (it's not a suggestion, just a random thought). Actually I think there's more than one game with alien names that are either difficult/impossible to pronounce, or even complete gibberish/letter salad, or the pronunciation cannot be guessed from spelling.

raymoohawk said:

about the spawncube, your suggestion is probably a good idea, but i still want to give the resizing a quick try, and if it doesnt work, we can keep the regular sized version and use the patch thing

That's alright, and in case you're confused, here's the texture i was talking about.

It uses the sprite BOSFA0 as a patch, the current sprite off center because it's larger than the original.

Oh and one more thing, I think your barrel sprite should use the lighter green range (112-127) instead of the darker one (152-159). Some wads use the vanilla translation flags with DeHackEd to change green colors. For example, look at The Sky May Be.

Hey raymoohawk, what the name of the new serpent: serpentipede or serpentide?

And you got a name for the orb monster too?

Voros said:

Hey raymoohawk, what the name of the new serpent: serpentipede or serpentide?

And you got a name for the orb monster too?

In case there are not defined or official names for those monsters, I could suggest the ones I gave them for my mod...

- Centipede for the serpent creature.
- Medusoid for the orb monster.

What do you think about it?

my imp replacement is named serpentipede

i like the name medusoid for the orb monster. if i end up using the fredrik deisgn for the arachnotron i'll rename it to techno squider

Doominer991 said:

Come to think of it, is there any consensus on what all of the enemies are supposed to be called?

Yeah. Whatever the artist calls them.

And fortunately, raymoohawk is active and gives good names to his creations.

Also, you've been awfully quiet on the Pestmeister's progress, raymoohawk.

How about posting some previews/comparison shoots soon?

raymoohawk said:

attempt to make nukeptyle's design more renderer friendly

The new version certainly looks like something out of an early-to-mid 90s game.

Specifically, I'm getting a Strife vibe from your recent work. Keep it up!

sorry for the constant delays. here is a small preview of cosmetic changes i am working on

like the nukeptile, the pesti will have a simpler and more sensible armor. i am also altering the orb monster because it needs to look like the attack is coming from somewhere, i'll probably have to remove the muzzleflashes for consistency with meelee attack tho

That Medusoid!
The more simpler Pestmeister is also an improvement.

I LOVE IT