Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drilbur

Destiny

I kinda feel like with a game like this, average reviews won't matter, hype alone will carry it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Coopersville said:

...once the PC version's out...until I can mod in green skin on the PC version...seriously hard decision even getting the PC version on sale.

Hate to break it to you but there's no public plans for a PC release. The most they've said is "it's in considerations." Which probably means no.

Drilbur said:

Honestly 2014 has been a very disappointing year for games.

So far:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (for PC)
The Banner Saga
Loadout
Bravely Default
Banished
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Hearthstone (official release)
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Mario Kart 8
Shovel Knight
Divinity: Original Sin

geekmarine said:

I kinda feel like with a game like this, average reviews won't matter, hype alone will carry it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I think you're correct.

geekmarine said:

You're right. Taken from wiki:

"On September 10, 2014, Activision claimed that Destiny was the most successful new gaming franchise launch of all time, as the game shipped more than $500 million USD to retail stores and first-parties worldwide."

Hype and marketing go a long way in today's gaming world.

Drilbur said:

Honestly 2014 has been a very disappointing year for games.

Isn't there something great we've all heard about this year that you might be forgetting? The decent-to-good looking Doom 4, of course! I mean I'm sure most of us don't think it'l top the classic titles, but it seems as though it's gonna be a hell of a lot more Doomish than Doom 3.

Jodwin said:

South Park: The Stick of Truth
[...]
Mario Kart 8

Those two were alright.

Patrol1985 said:

"On September 10, 2014, Activision claimed that Destiny was the most successful new gaming franchise launch of all time, as the game shipped more than $500 million USD to retail stores and first-parties worldwide."

heh

Patrol1985 said:

Hype and marketing go a long way in today's gaming world.

I wonder how much the hype cost.

geo said:

I wonder how much the hype cost.

A lot, probably, but it would be rather hype regardless. The new console generations are still pretty low on releases, so any new AAA game is bound to cause some hype simply by the virtue of existing.

It's a pity that 2014 games range from AAA shooters with lame gameplay and cartoony timewaster indie games with decent enough gameplay but no atmosphere. I'd love to get proved wrong though. I guess I should go play Divinity: Original Sin.

Lets hope the next Gauntlet adds another glimmer of fun to 2014's small list of good games. But I guess games are like cinemas more than ever. You got the hyped up A-List full blown Movie of the Year which everyone walks out shrugging "It was okay" and gets a positive 70% or 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, and then you got the B-List movies or Indie movies with new ideas, new attempts to be creative, or pulling out old actors just for shits which end up getting mixed or glowing critic reviews, while a dedicated fan base that will continue to follow it.

Patrol1985 said:

It was also smart enough to come out on PS3 and 360.

Clonehunter said:

I guess games are like cinemas more than ever. You got the hyped up A-List full blown Movie of the Year which everyone walks out shrugging "It was okay" and gets a positive 70% or 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, and then you got the B-List movies or Indie movies with new ideas, new attempts to be creative, or pulling out old actors just for shits which end up getting mixed or glowing critic reviews, while a dedicated fan base that will continue to follow it.

I was gonna make some post comparing AAA games to pop music, but I think this is probably a better analogy.

I have to question the sanity of Bungie, adding Raids that require a six-man team, all at very high levels, all of whom MUST be your friends; no matchmaking allowed.

So much effort put into this "Vault of Glass" and the overwhelming majority of players will never see it. Stupid beyond belief.

I was hoping it to be multiplatformer in a away that pc and console gamers could play on same servers. Oh well. I give it a try later when I got time, I still havent tried elder scrolls online.

A week or two ago I went to the game's official website looking for information on it although it all seemed a bit vague. The game seemed interesting enough, but the lack of a PC port is bit of a deal killer. I just don't have the money for a console, and I don't particularly enjoy playing on them for controller reasons. I'd probably check it out if a PC port ever game down the pipe.

Waffenak said:

I was hoping it to be multiplatformer in a away that pc and console gamers could play on same servers.

Sadly, I have only seen FFXI and FFXIV ever attempt this, and I wish more games did this sort of thing. I hate being split up from my friends because of platform of choice.

As for Destiny, I've got a level 10 titan that's on the moon and I'm actually enjoying what I have played so far. Which is strange for me because I generally have a difficult time playing a FPS on a console due to using a controller. The only other console shooter I liked was Darkwatch.

Waffenak said:

I was hoping it to be multiplatformer in a away that pc and console gamers could play on same servers. Oh well. I give it a try later when I got time, I still havent tried elder scrolls online.

I highly doubt we'll see FPS games where PC and console users can play together. Not only does the different control schemes give most PC users an "unfair" advantage, there's also possible technical issues if PC versions have different frame rates.

As for ESO, that game is apparently more like WoW in Tamriel than an actual TES game. It doesn't seem to be very highly recommended by TES fans.

From what I've seen through streams on twitch the game is something like this:

1. Borderlands.
2. Endless grind for that epic loot you just use to do more grinding with.
3. Quests that involves: 1. Fly to this planet and retrieve this object. 2. Fly to this planet and kill this boss. 3. Do more grinding stuff that involves visiting more than one planet.
4. Level up stuff by grinding.
5. Levels are littered with wave arenas.
6. You press on stuff that has a timer and monsters appear.
7. Pimp your shit out with colors etc.
8. Amazing art. Not so much amazing level design.
9. We have a robot that talks as an excuse to tell you all the lore we wrote.
10. Other random boring MMO style stuff.

I would like to try it, but I don't care much for a PC version. I would probably get bored after 1-2 hours doing the same stuff I've done in so many other games (borderland).

The game was so hyped that everyone was talking about, even a friend who is not much into gaming. My brother begged me to buy a PS4 to play it. I might want to see it but not without mouse/keyboard combo. Then again I fired up Borderlands 2 again and it's the nth time I replay it and never gets old. Besides the much more loot, the humor and unique random weapons and graphics style. I really can't get bored of this game. Now, I hear Destiny is inspired by Borderlands but it's not that good.

Maybe I will try this Defiance game since it's free and on PC. Although I prefer first person than third person. Third person sometimes just confuses me, in few cases makes me motion sickness and generally makes accurate shooting harder for me. I loved Max Payne series but mostly for the story, though I'd prefer a more FPS approach (which might not have worked for this game though, bullet time is more awesome in 3rd person view).

Although I can see the trends. Borderlands inspires other titles. For me Borderlands brought something new to the FPS arena, even if it's just merging RPG and FPS and MMO elements, I haven't been addicted with an FPS for a long time.

p.s. I also purchased Wolfenstein preorder just because of Doom 4 beta. And I did finish Wolfenstein, although I wasn't interested to replay, shooting was ok, but I didn't like it enough. I think it was also hyped as bringing back the old times. Return to castle Wolfenstein is still my favorite, although maybe that's nostalgia speaking.